[comp.unix.questions] Getting an MS-DOS computer onto the UUCP network

tsl@netsys.UUCP (Tom Livingston) (12/30/87)

	Before you write something to do that, be aware that there is
software to do that sortof thing, which could be atleast a starting
block.  If my memory serves me correctly, I had heared of a package called
UUlink a long time ago, which gave the capability of interacting with the
network to MS-DOS type machines.  I've never used it though, so can't say
much more about it.  I would try looking in an archive site as something
like that was bound to be posted to USENET.

                                                _____________
                                                  /
                                               --/ __ _______
                                              (_/ (_) / / / <_ Livingston
                                              { decuac,ihnp4 }!netsys!tsl

indra@amdcad.AMD.COM (Indra Singhal) (12/30/87)

In article <3194@psuvax1.psu.edu> wcf@psuhcx (William C. Fenner) writes:
>I'd like to get my MS-DOS computer on the uucp network.  I'm willing to write

I recall a set of PD or Shareware suite of programs called UUPC that did
exactly that... Use that keyword to get more info.

--
-I said so... & said it for myself.             Indra K. Singhal
{ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!indra or amdcad!indra@decwrl.dec.com

dean@uport.UUCP (Dean Thomas) (12/30/87)

In article <3194@psuvax1.psu.edu>, wcf@psuhcx (William C. Fenner) writes:
> I'd like to get my MS-DOS computer on the uucp network.

If you have an AT or 386-based system, you can get our UNIX system plus
our DOS Merge package and use your favorite DOS app while UNIX runs in
the background and polls the net at selected times.

I am writing this on a Compaq 386 running UNIX System V, release 3 from
Microport.  We stay up on the usenet with this machine and run multiple
users too.  The DOSMerge package runs MS-DOS as a task under UNIX.

You can get UNIX plus DOS Merge in a special price package from
Fry's Electronics in Sunnyvale, CA for $286 for the AT and
$386 for the 386 machines.  You will need more memory (min. of 1.5MB for AT
or 2.5MB for the 386). You can also order it direct from us, but it will
cost you a little more.

		Reno Davenport, Microport

wnp@killer.UUCP (Wolf Paul) (12/30/87)

In article <1863@netsys.UUCP> tsl@netsys.UUCP (Tom Livingston) writes:

>	Before you write something to do that, be aware that there is
>software to do that sortof thing, which could be atleast a starting
>block.  If my memory serves me correctly, I had heared of a package called
>UUlink a long time ago, which gave the capability of interacting with the
>network to MS-DOS type machines.  I've never used it though, so can't say
>much more about it.  I would try looking in an archive site as something
>like that was bound to be posted to USENET.

UULINK is a commercial package ( ca. $300 ) written and sold by Lauren
Weinstein at Vortex. It is a complete implementation (file transfer, mail,
netnews, with background operation and a cron-type scheduler), and if I were
stuck with DOS and could afford it, I would buy it.

There is a public-domain uucico and rmail in a package called UUPC,
which was posted to comp.sources.misc a few months ago. It will run
on a variety of machines (MS-DOS compatibles, Atari ST, Amiga, Mac)
and is based on an earlier posting called DCP.

UUPC is supposedly maintained by Stuart Lynne (Stuart.Lynne@van-bc.UUCP),
but I have seen no revisions since the original posting in August.

The package still needs some work (i.e. there is no uucp command for file
transfer, and interaction with L.sys could be improved), but since I have
swapped DOS for UNIX on my AT, I've not looked at it any more.

Hope this helps - email Stuart and you may get at least a starting point.

Wolf Paul
ihnp4!killer!dcs!wnp

pete@tsc.DEC.COM (Pete Schmitt) (12/30/87)

There is a package called UUPC for all types of micros.  It is available
via uucp from van-bc.

--
            \\\!///		From: Pete Schmitt
             _   _ 		UUCP: ihnp4!tsc!pete

skl@van-bc.UUCP (Samuel Lam) (12/30/87)

In article <3194@psuvax1.psu.edu> wcf@psuhcx (William C. Fenner) writes:
>I'd like to get my MS-DOS computer on the uucp network.  I'm willing to write
>all the programs I need to do this.  I would have to call up the host every
>once in a while and ask it for any new mail/news articles.  Anybody have any
>suggestions as to the best way to do this?

Take a look at UUPC (UUPC for Personal Computers) before you start off
on your own programs, you can probably save some time that way.

On BITNET, you can retrieve the UUPC sources distribution from the
server at LISTSERV@NDSUVM1.  Just send it the command "GET MINIX UUPCn",
where "n" is a digit between 0 and 8.

For more information on how to use the server, send it the "HELP" command.

...Sam
--
Samuel Lam     <Samuel.Lam@van-bc.UUCP> or
{ihnp4!alberta,watmath,uw-beaver}!ubc-vision!van-bc!skl

pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) (01/01/88)

skl@van-bc.UUCP (Samuel Lam) wrote:
> In article <3194@psuvax1.psu.edu> wcf@psuhcx (William C. Fenner) writes:
> >I'd like to get my MS-DOS computer on the uucp network.  I'm willing to write
> >all the programs I need to do this.  I would have to call up the host every
> >once in a while and ask it for any new mail/news articles.  Anybody have any
> >suggestions as to the best way to do this?
>
> Take a look at UUPC (UUPC for Personal Computers) before you start off
> on your own programs, you can probably save some time that way.

   And there is UFGATE...

| ...sun!hoptoad!\                                     Tim Pozar      |
|                 >fidogate!pozar               Fido:  1:125/406      |
|  ...lll-winken!/                            PaBell:  (415) 788-3904 |
|         USNail:  KKSF  77 Maiden Lane  San Francisco CA 94108       |

rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) (01/02/88)

>>I'd like to get my MS-DOS computer on the uucp network.  I'm willing to write
>>all the programs I need to do this.  I would have to call up the host every
>>once in a while and ask it for any new mail/news articles.  Anybody have any
>>suggestions as to the best way to do this?
>
>Take a look at UUPC (UUPC for Personal Computers) before you start off
>on your own programs, you can probably save some time that way.

Now here is something that is getting a little drawn out for me.  I
would like to see UUPC for at least the IBM PC, but also for the
Amiga.  Now, I've been told how to get via Bitnet, and by annonymous
ftp, both of which I am unable to do.  I have also been given the
address to contact for these items.  I have mailed to the address
three times, with never a response.  However, since I've never
received a failed reply, I must assume that it at least reached it's
destination.  Of course, in the time that has past, I have lost the
address (as usual).

Now, how can I get my hands on this without pulling my own teeth?

Email response is preferred.

Thanks in advance...

| Robert J. Granvin      | INTERNET:       rjg@sialis.mn.org |                |
| 2701 West 43rd Street  | UUCP:  ...ihnp4!meccts!sialis!rjg |   "Whoops!!"   |
| Minneapolis, MN  55410 |   ...uunet!rosevax!ems!sialis!rjg |________________|

itkin@cup.portal.com (01/04/88)

Tom Livingston (tsl@netsys.UUCP) asked about getting an MS-DOS system
onto the net.  Rather than worry about hosting software myself, I
connect through The Portal system.  It's a fee-based system ($10/month)
that gives access to USENET as well as providing PD software,
chat/meeting places, and other BBS stuff.  I think it's a great bargain.
I suppose I could invest in another 40MB disk and put the software and
stuff there, but this seems more reasonable and doesn't tie up my system
all night.  If you're in the Sunnyvale area, just log in at 725-0561 or
write to Poretal Communications Company at 19720 Auburn Drive,
Cupertino, California 95014.  I've just joined them, and I think their
service is terrific and well worth the cost.  And all you need is a
terminal emulator/file transfer package.