[comp.unix.questions] Need Unix computer

jantypas@hope.UUCP (John Antypas) (01/05/88)

Hi Netpersons!

It looks as if that we have about $15,000-$30,000 to spend on a new Unix
system.  We need a system with the following options:

	o Should be able to support at least 6 users at once.  (At least!)
	o Should have ether support
	o Should have 180+ M disks

We have tried the RT but due to 6 months of total LACK OF SERVICE and
LACK OF SUPPORT.  We need something reliable -- hear that IBM???  Is there
any company out there that would like to send a blurb on their systems to
me?  We are looking to buy.  We looked at the Symetrics 375, but we need
more ports, we looked at a 386 but I would prefer something more robust.

Help us out?

John Antypas -- Soft21 --21st Century Software:

UUCP: {garp, killer, pyramid, reed, sdcsvax!ucrmath}!soft21!jantypas
ARPA: jantypas%soft21.UUCP@{eddie.MIT.EDU, rutgers.EDU, sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU}

trb@stag.UUCP ( Todd Burkey ) (01/08/88)

In article <83@ucrmath.UUCP> jantypas@hope.UUCP (John Antypas) writes:
>It looks as if that we have about $15,000-$30,000 to spend on a new Unix
>system.  We need a system with the following options:
>
>	o Should be able to support at least 6 users at once.  (At least!)
>	o Should have ether support
>	o Should have 180+ M disks

>We looked at the Symetrics 375, but we need
>more ports, we looked at a 386 but I would prefer something more robust.

I think the Symmetrics still has an option for 16 ports (it did when I
bought mine, anyway.) You would probably want the 8 megabyte memory
option and that would drive the total cost of the system you are
talking about up over $10,000. I am happy with my system, but have to
warn you not to expect much in the way of support from the Symmetrics
people. They can answer technical questions over the phone quite well,
but you get absolutely NO paper documentation with the system! This
isn't all that bad, since most all you will ever need is online, but
it would have been nice to have received at least a manual of some
sort...

  -Todd Burkey
   trb@stag.UUCP