[comp.unix.questions] 3B2 won't go to init 1. Help.

paddock@mybest.UUCP (Steve Paddock) (01/07/88)

A 3B2/310 (at System V release 3.0) that I do some work for
decided it doesn't want to go to single user.  When instructed to
go single user, either via init 1 or shutdown -y -g0 -i1 or the equivalent
using init S or s, it goes into a loop where it asks me what run state I
want to go to.

This simulates the normal response when EOF is typed in single user mode.

I have tried changing consoles devices, going to single user from different
ports and deleting /etc/ioctl.syscon.  I guess I think I ought to figure it
out, but the cycle time up to multi-user and back is too long to be fun.

I have not been brave enough to change the inittab line that specifies which
run state to go to on boot, and I don't particularly want to undertake the
"standard hotline" solution of a partial restore.

Suggestions, or better still, solutions welcome.

Steve

--
Steve Paddock (ut-emx!mybest!paddock) 512-477-9736
Best Printing Co,  Austin, Texas  78767

psfales@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Pete Fales) (01/08/88)

In article <69@mybest.UUCP>, paddock@mybest.UUCP (Steve Paddock) writes:
> A 3B2/310 (at System V release 3.0) that I do some work for
> decided it doesn't want to go to single user.  When instructed to
> go single user, either via init 1 or shutdown -y -g0 -i1 or the equivalent
> using init S or s, it goes into a loop where it asks me what run state I
> want to go to.

The only time I have seen something similar to this is when I changed
root's default shell to /usr/bin/ksh.  Of course, in single user mode
/usr is not mounted so the shell can't be executed and you get message
asking for a run state.

Just a thought.

--
Peter Fales		UUCP:	...ihnp4!ihlpe!psfales
			work:	(312) 979-7784