[comp.unix.questions] VENIX/86, anybody remember?

lawitzke@eecae.UUCP (John Lawitzke) (01/08/88)

A friend of mine recently sold me his copy of Venix/86 which he wasn't
using. It is Venix/86 ver 2.0 . It came out when the XT was only
available with a 10MB hard disk. Unfortunately it thinks my system
only has a 10MB disk. I've been playing with the partition table on
the hard disk some, but haven't come anything definite. I do know that
my drive has 8 heads and Venix sets up the original partition table
as if it only has 4 heads. I've tried doing things like redoing the
partition and rebuilding with mkfs, but it won't let have more than
20740 blocks on the disk.

If anybody has had past experience with Venix, please contact me via
e-mail. I run Unix machines (VAXen and SUNs) for a living so please
feel free to get esoteric in replies.

--
j                                UUCP: ...ihnp4!msudoc!eecae!lawitzke
"And it's just a box of rain..." ARPA: lawitzke@eecae.ee.msu.edu  (35.8.8.151)

mechjgh@tness1.UUCP (Greg Hackney 214+464-2771) (01/09/88)

In article <5495@eecae.UUCP> lawitzke@eecae.ee.msu.edu (John Lawitzke) writes:
>A friend of mine recently sold me his copy of Venix/86 which he wasn't
>using. It is Venix/86 ver 2.0.  Unfortunately it thinks my system
>only has a 10MB disk.

I have installed Venix before, but only on a 10MB system.

However, I did have  the same problem with Xenix. I had a Seagate ST225
20MB that formatted just fine under MS-DOS, but it would only
format to 10MB under Xenix no matter what I tried...low level
formats, repartitioning, etc etc....

Finally I solved the problem by putting in a different
disk controller. I was using a Xebec controller, and
switched to a Western Digital WD1002, and it worked fine.

--
Greg Hackney
S.W. Bell Telephone Co.