[comp.unix.questions] Unix License plates

jfh@killer.UUCP (11/24/87)

In article <413@auvax.UUCP>, rwa@auvax.UUCP (Ross Alexander) writes:
> In article <3800@ptsfa.UUCP>, dmt@ptsfa.UUCP (Dave Turner) writes:
> > I was cute and much nicer than the blue t-shirt.
>
> Well, if you say so, Dave.  But there may be other opinions out there ;-)
> Perhaps that should be cross-posted to soc.singles or whatever?
> [ sorry, Dave, but I just _had_ to post.  I know it was a typo... ]

[ and if that's true, then I guess this should have been posted in
  rec.auto ;-) ]

> BTW, does anyone remember the QED t-shirt; the one with "WMXPL" (world's
> most expensive programming language) and the nifty RE on the back?  Mine
> wore out years ago, and I wouldn't mind replacing it.

When I was an undergrad visiting-groupie at Xavier in N.O. LA, there was
a visiting professor from Bell Labs who had a cardboard Unix License plate
hanging on the wall.  It was blue and white, with the word UNIX in big
letters across the middle.  On the bottom was that famous phrase
`Is a trademark of Bell Labs', and across the top, the New Hampshire state
motto, `Live Free or Die'.

The story is that once upon a time, DEC had several of these things made up
for people at the Labs.  Mike (whose last name I forget, he used to work at
pyuxqq) had one made out of cardboard.  I would pay good money to get one
made out of the real thing for my car.

- John.

--
John F. Haugh II                  SNAIL:  HECI Exploration Co. Inc.
UUCP: ...!ihnp4!killer!jfh                11910 Greenville Ave, Suite 600

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (11/25/87)

Is anyone else feeling old?  I mean it seems like only yesterday, but
there are a lot of youngsters who are out there, making more money than me
probably (:-)) who were just kids when the UNIX plates were made...

Anyway:

At a UNICOMM of a few years back (hey, that dates me, eh?)  Armando -- one of the
handful of UNIX Engineers within DEC at the time (this was before ULTRIX and
before System III  for that matter) --
wanted to be able to say that now you could get a UNIX license from DEC!
(Digression for the young'uns:  Used to be you had to buy a PDP or a VAX
with a DEC operating system license, even if you intended to run UNIX
on it -- which you couldn't buy from DEC at the time).  So, APS came
armed with  a bunch of NH lic. plate look-a-likes -- matching his own real
NH plate -- which Digital gave out in their suite.

Later, when ULTRIX was born, similar ones were made saying ULTRIX and in
blue (and these were not nearly as nice as the former  and whose
printing looked less like a "real" license plate).  Much later
The Phone Company had some made to give out at UNIXEXPO in NY which
1) were punched out of license plates, but 2) weren't printed as a license
plate -- i.e., they had multiple lines, no state motto, etc. (these
said System V), and so 3) finally killed the "joke."

Anyway, to the original poster, I'll sell you mine for $1000.00 ...
:-)

Oh, by the way, Jim Joyce's Book Store has a bunch of T-shirts ("UNIX...",
"/nev/dull", maybe the "awk bailing out...." ones too.

Fred

[ ULTRIX is a trademark of DEC which is a trademark of Digital Equipment Corp.
  UNIX as you very well know is a trademark of AT&T
  APS or aps is a trademark of Armando Paul Stettner
]

dmt@ptsfa.UUCP (Dave Turner) (11/25/87)

In article <2202@killer.UUCP> jfh@killer.UUCP (The Beach Bum) writes:
>In article <413@auvax.UUCP>, rwa@auvax.UUCP (Ross Alexander) writes:
>> In article <3800@ptsfa.UUCP>, dmt@ptsfa.UUCP (Dave Turner) writes:
>> > I was cute and much nicer than the blue t-shirt.

Damned fingers!

>a visiting professor from Bell Labs who had a cardboard Unix License plate
>hanging on the wall.  It was blue and white, with the word UNIX in big
>letters across the middle.  On the bottom was that famous phrase
>`Is a trademark of Bell Labs', and across the top, the New Hampshire state
>motto, `Live Free or Die'.
>
>The story is that once upon a time, DEC had several of these things made up
>for people at the Labs.  Mike (whose last name I forget, he used to work at

I have two metal license plates; one for UNIX and one for ULTRIX.
Someone gave them to me; I believe that they came from a USENIX conference
and that DEC must have produced them.

One is green on white:

	Live Free or Die

		UNIX

	Trademark of Bell Labs*

The other is blue on white:

	Live Free or Die

		ULTRIX

	Trademark of Digital Equipment Corp

I don't know if they are still available.
I want to keep these. Sorry.

--
Dave Turner	415/542-1299	{ihnp4,lll-crg,qantel,pyramid}!ptsfa!dmt

jfh@killer.UUCP (11/26/87)

Anyone thinking about sending me mail saying you have a license plate, well,
don't bother.  Fifteen minutes or so after posting I got a call from someone
who actually wanted to sell his.  Sorry.

- John.
--
John F. Haugh II                  SNAIL:  HECI Exploration Co. Inc.
UUCP: ...!ihnp4!killer!jfh                11910 Greenville Ave, Suite 600
      ...!ihnp4!killer!rpp386!jfh         Dallas, TX. 75243
"Don't Have an Oil Well?  Then Buy One!"  (214) 231-0993

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (11/26/87)

In article <2202@killer.UUCP> jfh@killer.UUCP (The Beach Bum) wishes
he had a UNIX license plate.

You can probably get one from your auto license office by paying extra,
so long as nobody else in the state already has one.

In a noncompetitive, noncommercial situation like this trade mark laws
don't really apply.  Besides, AT&T sells only software, not
automobiles, under the UNIX label, so there can be no possible
confusion.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi

jsloan@wright.EDU (John Sloan) (11/27/87)

Since someone has brought up the topic, I too have been thinking about
possibilities for UNIX vanity plates. The one I like best so far is
"RMSTAR" (foo, now everyone will use that, I suppose; if you live in
Ohio, the least you could do would be to give me the first shot at it).
My motorcycle license plate frame has my UUCP address on top and on the
bottom "UNIX SQUID".

--
John Sloan                     Wright State University Research Center
jsloan@SPOTS.Wright.Edu       3171 Research Blvd., Kettering, OH 45420

rogers@amadeus.TEK.COM (Roger Southwick (rogers@dadla.TEK.COM)) (11/28/87)

[Do not meddle in the affairs of Unix, for it is subtle and quick to core dump]

Ah, yes... the allusive UNIX license plate.  I got mine at one of the
vendors at a USENIX (perhaps jointly with Uniforum) convention.  Real
metal.  Really stamped out.  White with green letters.  Sorry I can't
remember more...it was a few years ago.

So they are out there...just be patient and keep looking...and no mine
is not for sale :-).

	-Roger (rogers@dadla.TEK.COM)
		UUCP:	{ihnp4 | decvax | ucbvax}!tektronix!dadla!rogers
		ARPA:	rogers%dadla.TEK.COM@RELAY.CS.NET

amos@taux01.UUCP (Amos Shapir) (11/30/87)

While we are at it, I saw a UUCP plate cruising down El Camino Real
a few weeks ago; since it had a lot of bang (!) I couldn't overtake
it and peek inside - I wonder who sends him/herself to work every day...
--
	Amos Shapir			(My other cpu is a NS32532)
National Semiconductor (Israel)

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods, Software) (12/01/87)

In article <1783@decuac.DEC.COM>, avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:
> Is anyone else feeling old?  I mean it seems like only yesterday, but
> there are a lot of youngsters who are out there, making more money than me
> probably (:-)) who were just kids when the UNIX plates were made...
> Anyway: At a UNICOMM of a few years back (hey, that dates me, eh?) Armando
> -- one of the handful of UNIX Engineers within DEC at the time (this was
> before ULTRIX and before System III  for that matter) -- wanted to be able
> to say that now you could get a UNIX license from DEC!
> (Digression for the young'uns:  Used to be you had to buy a PDP or a VAX
> with a DEC operating system license, even if you intended to run UNIX
> on it -- which you couldn't buy from DEC at the time).  So, APS came
> armed with  a bunch of NH lic. plate look-a-likes -- matching his own real
> NH plate -- which Digital gave out in their suite.

I was a young'un then, but I do remember that UNICOMM -- I also remember
Armando being awarded "The Rubber Chicken Award for having DEC's first UNIX
License" during a talk...

That was also when Lucasfilm came out and gave a talk about UNIX at Lucasfilm
(I believe they hadn't spawned ILM yet, even, but I'm not quite sure) entitled
"<serious title I don't remember>, Or, Does Darth Vader Code In C?"

The official answer was "No, he codes in FORTRAN under VMS!"

(Gee, remember when UNIX conventions actually taught you something!  Now
THAT'S really showing one's age...)

--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw@eddie.mit.edu

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
		-- Johnny Hart

mike@pyrdc.UUCP (Mike Whitman) (12/01/87)

In article <405@taux01.UUCP>, amos@taux01.UUCP (Amos Shapir) writes:
> While we are at it, I saw a UUCP plate cruising down El Camino Real
> a few weeks ago; since it had a lot of bang (!) I couldn't overtake
> it and peek inside - I wonder who sends him/herself to work every day...

In the Nrothern Virginia area there are two UNIX plates. Mine and one of the
system engineers from SUN Federal Systems. Mine says MT XINU (no offense to
Ed Gould, I hope) and the other one is the UNIX TM plate. We work all of 100
yards apart and didn't even know it. Also I know that one of the UNIX type
plates in calif. belongs to another Pyramid employee, it says UNIXINU.
--
      -m-------  Mike Whitman		Phone : (703)848-2050
    ---mmm-----  Pyramid Technology     Fax   : (703)848-4995

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu.UUCP (12/02/87)

The original rubber chicken award went to Dennis Mumaugh then of the
National Security, er, um...Department of Defense.

-Ron

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu.UUCP (12/02/87)

Kieth Bostic had the Maryland 42 BSD plates (no decimal points allowed).

-Ron

wolf@well.UUCP (Dwight Leu) (12/03/87)

Here are the license plates of some people in the microcomputer
unix arena in california:

	me:		SYSTEM V
	demitri rotow:	IBM UNIX	(President of Bell Technologies)
	bruce chittendon: XENIX		(SCO Director of Engineering)

I also have a license plate collection on my office wall. The one
plate I'm missing is the "Live Free or Die" UNIX one. If anyone's
interested in selling one at a reasonable price, please give me
a call.

       -dwight-

       Dwight H. Leu                   ihnp4!amdcad!uport!dwight
       V.P. Engineering                well!wolf
       Microport                       microsoft!sco!ucscc!uport!dwight
       408-438-8649

"Will your XENIX application run next year when Microsoft drops XENIX and
 switches to UNIX? Not even Microsoft guarantees it.

Will they ever?"

ram%shukra@Sun.COM (Renu Raman, Sun Microsystems) (12/03/87)

In article <4609@well.UUCP> wolf@well.UUCP (Dwight Leu) writes:
>Here are the license plates of some people in the microcomputer
>unix arena in california:
>
>	me:		SYSTEM V
>	demitri rotow:	IBM UNIX	(President of Bell Technologies)
>	bruce chittendon: XENIX		(SCO Director of Engineering)

    There's a porsche here with "vmunix" and an old honda in my apt. complex
    with "dev car".

---------------------
   Renukanthan Raman				ARPA:ram@sun.com
   Sun Microsystems			UUCP:{ucbvax,seismo,hplabs}!sun!ram
   M/S 5-40, 2500 Garcia Avenue,
   Mt. View,  CA 94043

worley@dana.UUCP (12/04/87)

> In the Nrothern Virginia area there are two UNIX plates. Mine and one of the
> system engineers from SUN Federal Systems. Mine says MT XINU (no offense to
> Ed Gould, I hope) and the other one is the UNIX TM plate. We work all of 100
> yards apart and didn't even know it. Also I know that one of the UNIX type
> plates in calif. belongs to another Pyramid employee, it says UNIXINU.

    When I went to the DMV to get my plates (almost two years ago now), there
were several HUNDRED different license plates registered in California that
started with the letters 'U' 'N' 'I' 'X': this doesn't even include possible
related themes, e.g., grep, cat, csh, etc.  Some of the variants I remember:

	UNIX III
	UNIX V
	UNIX 42
	UNIX 7
	UNIX WIZ
	UNIX PRO
	UNIX DOC

    My license plate?

	UNIX HKR

    I tried to get them to let me put the little TM symbol, really I tried!

					Regards,
					John Worley
					Dana Computer, Inc.
					hplabs!dana!worley

shipley@web2a.berkeley.edu.UUCP (12/05/87)

In article <4609@well.UUCP> wolf@well.UUCP (Dwight Leu) writes:
>Here are the license plates of some people in the microcomputer
>unix arena in california:
>
>	me:		SYSTEM V
>	demitri rotow:	IBM UNIX	(President of Bell Technologies)
>	bruce chittendon: XENIX		(SCO Director of Engineering)

While down in San Jose attending the 'BayCon' SiFi Convention
A friend and I saw a California license plate "dev car"

Pete Shipley:
email:   shipley@violet.berkeley.edu     Flames:  cc-29@cory.berkeley.edu
         ucbvax!violet!shipley                    ucbvax!cory!cc-29
Spelling corections: /dev/null                    Quote: "Anger is an energy"

mark@cci632.UUCP (Mark Stevans) (12/15/87)

In article <6183@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> shipley@web2a.berkeley.edu.BERKELEY.EDU (Peter Shipley) writes:
>While down in San Jose attending the 'BayCon' SiFi Convention
>A friend and I saw a California license plate "dev car"

I registered my Toyota in California in April of 1986.  I requested and
received the plate reading:

                                  UNIX C

The plates are in my suitcase right now, until I have them transferred to my
new car.

					Mark "Speedy" Stevans
					ccird3!mark

rbj@icst-cmr.arpa (Root Boy Jim) (01/10/88)

   >While down in San Jose attending the 'BayCon' SiFi Convention
   >A friend and I saw a California license plate "dev car"

How about MAPCAR for LISP hackers?

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	<rbj@icst-cmr.arpa>
	National Bureau of Standards
	Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688
	I appoint you ambassador to Fantasy Island!!!