[comp.unix.questions] Project Management software

dv@well.UUCP (David W. Vezie) (11/17/87)

     We are interested in evaluating Project Management software which
     runs under UNIX (4.3BSD or Sun 3.x).  Does anyone have any experience
     good or bad using such a system?   We need to be able to compare
     and relate schedules, perform resource loading and analysis and
     develop custom reports.  We have another system which is used to
	 track our 'actual' development which will soon be converted to
	 a UNIFY/Accell DBMS.  The scheduling system would utimately need to
	 tie in to the tracking system.

     Interested in any and all information.

     Thanks...

	 Linda Harris		{ucbvax,sun}!pixar!harris
	 Computer Support Department
	 Industrial Light and Magic,
	 a division of Lucasfilm Ltd.

steve@gec-mi-at.co.uk (Steve Lademann) (11/28/87)

In article <4464@well.UUCP> dv@well.UUCP (David W. Vezie) writes:

>     We are interested in evaluating Project Management software which
>     runs under UNIX (4.3BSD or Sun 3.x).

Me too - I've been looking for longer than I care to remember....

|Steve Lademann		|Phone: 44 727 59292 x326		|
|Marconi Instruments Ltd|UUCP : ...mcvax!ukc!hrc63!miduet!steve	|
|St. Albans    AL4 0JN	|NRS  : steve@uk.co.gec-mi-at		|

cl@dlhpedg.co.uk (Charles Lambert) (12/01/87)

In article <797@gec-mi-at.co.uk> steve@gec-mi-at.co.uk (Steve Lademann) writes:
>In article <4464@well.UUCP> dv@well.UUCP (David W. Vezie) writes:
>>
>>     We are interested in evaluating Project Management software which
>
>Me too - I've been looking for longer than I care to remember....

This is a "me too", too.  (Sorry about posting instead of mailing; we're
having trouble with smail).  Maybe we could establish a mailing list?
Anyway,  please mail me when you get some answers.

------------------
Charles Lambert; ukc!datlog!dlhpedg!cl

tankus@hsi.UUCP (Ed Tankus) (12/15/87)

Between the covers of almost every UNIX WORLD is an ad for Q-CALC or Q-CALC
Standard (as it is now called).  Q-CALC is a Lotus-compatible spreadsheet for
System V, BSD, Sun(?), etc.  The same firm also developed and markets
MasterPlan project management software for the same OS's.  MasterPlan can
import/export information from/to Q-CALC for cost analysis, etc.  Price of
each product is about $2500 for BSD versions.

Both products are available from the developer or from UNIPRESS.

Cheers!

-- Ed.

Net  :  {uunet,ihnp4,noao,hao,yale}!hsi!tankus
Snail:  Health Systems Int'l, 100 Broadway, New Haven, CT 06511
Bell :  (203) 562-2101

scs%lokkur%itivax.uucp@umix.cc.umich.EDU (Steve Simmons) (12/17/87)

In UNIX-Info Digest 101 Charles Lambert <cl@dlhpedg.co.UK> writes:
>In article <797@gec-mi-at.co.uk> steve@gec-mi-at.co.uk (Steve Lademann) writes:
>>In article <4464@well.UUCP> dv@well.UUCP (David W. Vezie) writes:
>>>
>>>     We are interested in evaluating Project Management software which
>>
>>Me too - I've been looking for longer than I care to remember....
>
>This is a "me too", too.  (Sorry about posting instead of mailing; we're
>having trouble with smail).  Maybe we could establish a mailing list?
>Anyway,  please mail me when you get some answers.

Many years ago at an employer far far away, they took a major commercial
project management system and ported it to UNIX.  At one point it
ran on an Onyx Z8000 machine (hey -- I *said* it was a long time ago!)
Last I heard they were doing well on UTS and some other machines.  Call
or write ADP Network Services, Ann Arbor, MI.  Darned if I know who is
the marketing or sales person, but Min-Shih Chen is still one of the
technical managers, and could point you in the right direction.  I
believe the product is still called APECS.

Warning -- you are talking about HUGE piles of money.

Steve Simmons

patk@riddle.UUCP (Patrick King) (12/24/87)

In article <793@hsi.UUCP> tankus@hsi.UUCP (Ed Tankus) writes:

>Between the covers of almost every UNIX WORLD is an ad for Q-CALC or Q-CALC
>Standard (as it is now called).  Q-CALC is a Lotus-compatible spreadsheet for
>System V, BSD, Sun(?), etc.

There is also a system called VUE.

VUE is an interactive project management system designed to help managers
establish and monitor realistic project management plans. VUE uses the
critical path method, spotlighting those activities whise timely completion is
critical to finishing the project on schedule. Up to three thousand activities
can be traced per project, with nearly unlimited activities through the
multi-project option.

VUE ia as easy to use, menu driven system with minimal training needed for
entering project information and generating reports. The project manager can
use use VUE to modify information and see the project from several
perspectives, generate several 'what if' scenarios before work actually
begins, and as work progresses, to respond to unexpected developments with new
schedules and strategies.

VUE's fourteen standard reports include printer graphics and show the impact
of changes in timing, cost and resources on activities and on the project as a
whole. These reports can be made to cover the entire project, modified to view
the activities falling under the control of one deoartment, or used to
summarize groups of activities for less detailed reporting.

The author of this system is National Information Systems Inc. of San Jose Ca.
and prices start at around $2000 for a DEC MicroVaxII.
Reply To:  patk@sphinx.co.uk    Sphinx Limited
                                43-53 Moorbridge Road,
Phone: 06228 75343              Maidenhead,
TLX  : 849812                   Berks SL6 8PB.
FAX  : 0628 70110               England.
                 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
================|My views are my own|=================
                 - - - - - - - - - -

sewilco@datapg.DataPg.MN.ORG (Scot E. Wilcoxon) (01/13/88)

In article <539@riddle.UUCP> patk@riddle.UUCP (Patrick King) writes:
>VUE is an interactive project management system designed to help managers
>establish and monitor realistic project management plans. VUE uses the
:
>The author of this system is National Information Systems Inc. of San Jose Ca.
:

VUE is also the "Project Scheduling" module in the ACUITY accounting
package (under license with NIS of San Jose).  I evaluate UNIX accounting
packages, and the description sounded familiar so I checked it.
--
Scot E. Wilcoxon	sewilco@DataPg.MN.ORG	ihnp4!meccts!datapg!sewilco
Data Progress		C and UNIX consulting	+1 612-825-2607