[comp.unix.questions] BBS software that runs under System V...

mitchell@cadovax.UUCP (Mitchell Lerner) (01/07/88)

I know that this has been talked about before, so please forgive
my redundancy.

We are interested in starting a Cadol BBS.  I would appreciate
it if any of you know where I could get some BBS software that we
could run under System V (shareware/public domain is preferable).

Also, please mention some of the features of the package/program that
you are refering to as there will be specific feature that we wil need.

Thanks in advance!
--
Mitchell Lerner
UUCP:  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!mitchell

"When I fight with my mind, my mind always wins" - Ben Hummel

asgard@cpro.UUCP (J.R. Stoner) (01/08/88)

in article <1895@cadovax.UUCP>, mitchell@cadovax.UUCP (Mitchell Lerner) says:

> We are interested in starting a Cadol BBS.  I would appreciate
> it if any of you know where I could get some BBS software that we
> could run under System V (shareware/public domain is preferable).
> Also, please mention some of the features of the package/program that
> you are refering to as there will be specific feature that we wil need.

> Thanks in advance!

> Mitchell Lerner

I use UNaXcess (the most current net release - 1.00.02) on my clone running
Microport V/AT.  I have had this successfully operational for more than a year
now and it is about rock-solid as you can get - kudos to Brandon Allberry
(allberry@ncoast.UUCP) for this truly clever system.  It is a full-security
bbs with message conferences by named topic - users can create new conferences
for new topics on demand.  On-line registration of accounts and passwords.
Different access levels for privileged users to 'fairwitness' conferences
if the system grows sufficiently.  File uplink/downlink using channels for
XMODEM protocols (a separate program to do the protocol - many PD versions
of that is available) KERMIT, and simple ASCII downlink of text-only files
for text capture (like the well-written introduction to UNaXcess which all
such systems have, obviously).  The file up/down-links are also organized
by named subject category.

For a sample of what this is about call (415) 582-7691 2400/1200 for an
overview of a public-access system with UNaXcess is like.  I am told that
Hayward is reachable by PC-Pursuit if you have that and you do not like
long-distance charges.

May the farce be with you.
J.R. Stoner	asgard@cpro.uucp	...ihnp4!hplabs!ptsfa!cpro!asgard
--
"To prevent having to tell fools to RTFM don't let on you WTFM to begin with."
J.R. Stoner	asgard@cpro.UUCP    asgard@wotan.UUCP

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (01/12/88)

In article <1895@cadovax.UUCP> mitchell@cadovax.UUCP (Mitchell Lerner) writes:
| We are interested in starting a Cadol BBS.  I would appreciate
| it if any of you know where I could get some BBS software that we
| could run under System V (shareware/public domain is preferable).
|
| Also, please mention some of the features of the package/program that
| you are refering to as there will be specific feature that we wil need.

I am running two sets of software currently. They are:

  UNaXcess - contact allbery@ncoast.uucp
	readonly conferences
	fairwitness
	membership conferences
	table driven
	passwords are stored encrypted
	excellent audit trail via LOGFILE

	I have hacked this heavily, changing the menus, adding
	YMODEM, ZMODEM and SEAlink. There is a version later than
	1.00.02 available. By the terms of the copyright I can't
	distribute my changes. I do not feel that there is any
	reason why I can't distribute my utilities, but the
	documentation is not ready.

  XBBS - contact sandy@alphacm.uucp
	RBBS-like interface
	allows access levels on commands, files, and areas
	allows reading of info files
	allows access to commands (I added a few games)
	Has almost every known file xfer protocol
	Allows display of contents of .arc, .tar,
	  and .tar.Z files. I added zoo, don't know if sandy has.
	Has a configurable questionare for new users. I added a
	  few things to the querry language and mailed them to
	  sandy, don't know if he like them.
	configuration file allows some changes without compilation

What I don't like about them:

  UNaXcess:
	permissions are not a bit map, I can't have a user class
	  which can read messages and download, but not upload, and
	  other special mixtures like that.
	does not have the ability to display the contents of archives
	  and/or extract text files for ASCII download.
	comments are a bit terse (the version posted to the net
	  may have had comments stripped for size limitations)

  XBBS
	uses a packed message file rather than one message/file.
	  This saves inodes but requires recycling message numbers.
	System maintenence tools are not as convenient as UNaXcess,
	  and the documentation is sparse, even by UNIX standards.
	No membership conferences.
	Passwords stored as text
	Not table driven (I changed some of that)
	No easy way to enter a message from a file (I may have missed it)
	Poor trail of uploads, user activity, etc (may have been enhanced)

features not available in XBBS.

  XBBS has a user interface similar to RBBS. It is less formal and well
suited for a more casual BBS. If the sysop is just keeping things under
control as opposed to heavy interraction, it is quite acceptable to run.

Why am I running two systems:

  I wanted to try XBBS.  No better way than to install it.  I can share
files (but not messages) with UNaXcess.  My original BBS, which I
operate for the local UNIX SIG, requires that users wanting files access
either join the group, upload useful software, or pay a one time
registration fee.

  The XBBS system is totally free, but depends on uploads for its files.
The selection is minimal at present, but I'm seeing a pickup in usage. I
wanted to see if people would use the free system over the pay system,
and if the message traffic would be higher on one than the other. There
is a unix-pc area on the UNaXcess BBS.

  If you want to try either of these, you can call 518-346-8033 any
time. For UNaXcess login as bbs, then NEW, then answer questions. You
will be able to up/download from the guest area, read all message areas
and leave messages in guest. Anyone will be validated for message access
in a few days. For XBBS login as xbbs, then your name. Anyone who fills
out the questionare will be validated for everything, currently
including games.

  There are other BBSs out there, PicoSpan on chinet and magpie on
magpie. Pico is commercial, I don't think magpie is available to other
right now, when it is I'll run it because I like it.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

learn@igloo.UUCP (william vajk) (01/14/88)

In article <8577@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP>, davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
> In article <1895@cadovax.UUCP> mitchell@cadovax.UUCP (Mitchell Lerner) writes:
> | We are interested in starting a Cadol BBS.  I would appreciate
> | it if any of you know where I could get some BBS software that we
> | could run under System V (shareware/public domain is preferable).
> |
> | Also, please mention some of the features of the package/program that
> | you are refering to as there will be specific feature that we wil need.
>
> I am running two sets of software currently. They are:
>
>   UNaXcess - contact allbery@ncoast.uucp

>   XBBS has a user interface similar to RBBS. It is less formal and well
> suited for a more casual BBS. If the sysop is just keeping things under
> control as opposed to heavy interraction, it is quite acceptable to run.
>

>   There are other BBSs out there, PicoSpan on chinet and magpie on
> magpie. Pico is commercial, I don't think magpie is available to other
> right now, when it is I'll run it because I like it.

I run two commercial packages on igloo. Picospan was the package I started
with, and while a tad pricy, I have never regretted my choice. Features
multi-thread multiple conferences, with internal thread linking, full
fairwitness features, availability of private conferences. Contact
mike@m-net for pricing and ordering info. There are several large picospan
installations (m-net, chinet, the Well, Chariot, fishnet, and several
others I just can't recall, plus one in India.)

I also run a second bbs aboard igloo, written by Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1)
as a beta test site for his system. It has similar features to picospan, and
is much lower in price. Linking software to network conferences among
systems is included in AKSC. Currently, four systems share linked conferences,
vp-net, ddsw1, igloo, and nucleus. AkCS is still reeceiving updates and
constant upgrades. This sort of thing happens when a programmer also
controls distribution.

I have never called gryphon, run by greg laskin, and he is pruported
to be running software written for the unix environment by Bill Blue.
I know nothing of the availability of this software, but I understand
that Bill can be contacted at gryphon.

There is a list of public access unix boards published and maintained
by wayne@warble, and updates seem to be coming with some regularity
over pubnet. A wide diversity of bbs software is represented in that
list. Anyone wishing a copy of the latest can mail to me, billw@killer,
or wayne@warble <select the site nearest you>.

In the chicago area, which has 5 (count em five) public access unix
systems, UnaXcess is a surefire looser. All five have free access,
with some contribution/fee basis for usenet access on those who
are so inclined. Igloo permits reading usenet to validated users, and
posting to usenet to only to a handfull of staff and computer
professionals. Probably, the number of unix boxes open for public
use here should come as no surprise....it all started in Chicago.

There is a final consideration in setting up a bbs. No matter what
software you run, it is the mix of the sysadm's policies and originality
coupled with the interests of the users that will make it run well
or fail. The software is only another tool, important for sure, but
still only a small part of the overall picture.

Bill Vajk                                      e-mail  learn@igloo

igloo---the little machine that could--and one year old this week