[comp.unix.questions] Redirecting printer messages with lpd

JON%UCLASTRO.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (01/14/88)

To all,

        We have a apple Laserwriter as the default printer on our local
Sun network.  Error messages that get returned from the printer are
placed in the error log file specified by lf= in /etc/printcap.  However,
I would rather these messages either be sent directly to the user's
terminal, or if not logged on, mailed to the user who initiated the
job.  My conception of how this would work would be to tell the lpd
deamon to send the messages to a filter instead of the file.  However,
from the man pages for lpd, there does not seem to be a way of doing
this.  Am I mistaken (as usual)?  If not mistaken, how would I go
about doing this?  Presumably, lpd would need to be modified.  How
can I get source for lpd?  Or is there a public domain version of lpd?
System info: the print server is a Sun running SunOS 3.2 (4.2 unix).

                                        Thanks,
                                        Jonathan Eisenhamer
                                        UCLA Astronomy
                                        jon@uclastro.bitnet
                                        bonnie::jon (SPAN 5828)
                                        (213) 206-8596

In article <11247@brl-adm.ARPA> JON%UCLASTRO.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writes:
>I would rather these messages either be sent directly to the user's
>terminal,

What a horrible notion!

>or if not logged on, mailed to the user who initiated the job.

Much better.  Why not always mail the error report.

tom@cogpsi.UUCP (Tom Vijlbrief) (01/15/88)

In article <11247@brl-adm.ARPA> JON%UCLASTRO.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writes:

>        We have a apple Laserwriter as the default printer on our local
>Sun network.  Error messages that get returned from the printer are
>placed in the error log file specified by lf= in /etc/printcap.  However,
>I would rather these messages either be sent directly to the user's
>terminal, or if not logged on, mailed to the user who initiated the
>job.  My conception of how this would work would be to tell the lpd
>deamon to send the messages to a filter instead of the file.  However,
>from the man pages for lpd, there does not seem to be a way of doing
>this.  Am I mistaken (as usual)?  If not mistaken, how would I go
>about doing this?  Presumably, lpd would need to be modified.  How

Because you are running SunOs you have named pipes.
You could create a named pipe and specify this pipe in the lf
entry.
A deamon program could read from the pipe and process the error
messages. The main problem is determining the name of the user who
prints. A possible solution would be to use a special filter
as the printing filter which saves the name of the user in a file.

(Probably this file will always contain the owner of the lpd deamon
in which case you have to replace the lpr program by a simple shell script)

Succes....

Tom

Tom Vijlbrief
TNO Institute for Perception
P.O. Box 23				Phone: +31 34 63 14 44
3769 DE  Soesterberg			E-mail: cogpsi!tom@mcvax.cwi.nl
The Netherlands				    or:	uunet!mcvax!cogpsi!tom