[net.cooks] Pesto Recipie Wanted

sompel@resonex.UUCP (Mark Sompel) (08/21/85)

I'm looking for a good Pesto recipie.  Anyone out there have one that they
are willing to post to the net?

Thanks much,
Mark Sompel

billw@Navajo.ARPA (08/24/85)

		PESTO

Take a bunch of basil, and remove the stems.  Add about 1/3 cup of
olive oil (for a typical sized bunch of basil), and two cloves of
garlic (chopped).  Put it in a blender or food processor and grind into
a paste.  This will be easier if you cut the basil into small pieces
first.  Add more olive oil if necessary.  Add freshly grated parmesan
cheese to taste, and either blend some more or stir well.  You may
need to add still more oil.

You can also add pine nuts.  Parsley is included in many recipes, but
it should always be replaced with an equal amount of basil.

The PESTO sauce should be a very dark green at this point.  You can
judge whether it has the correct amount of oil in it by looking at
it after it has been sitting around for about 5 minutes.  It should
have just a little oil seeping out of it.  If it has a lot, you need
to add less oil next time, or add more chees or basil.

To serve, add some of the pesto sause to buttered, cooked, pasta, and
mix.  Add more until everything is green.  Add some more.  You can
probably correct for too little oil by adding more butter.

I have noticed that most restaraunts have cream in their pesto sauses.
Yuko, though I suppose that that is personal opinion.

billw (hplabs!shasta!navajo!billw ?)

saltiel@cdstar.UUCP (Jack Saltiel) (08/26/85)

In article <293@resonex.UUCP>, sompel@resonex.UUCP (Mark Sompel) writes:
> I'm looking for a good Pesto recipie.  Anyone out there have one that they
> are willing to post to the net?

1 Cup fresh basil leaves	1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
1-2 cloves garlic		1/2 grated good parmesan cheese
1/4 olive oil			1/4 butter
1/4 pine nuts, chopped fine

Blend Ingredient into a smooth paste.
If you are using a food processor, chop the basil and parsley first, then
add the pine nuts (pignolis) then all the the rest.

This will be enough for 3/4 to 1 pound of dry pasta, 1-1/4 pound fresh.
Cook the pasta. When done, mix one tablespoon hot water from the pasta
into the pesto. Drain your pasta, mix it up, and chow down.

I usually use more garlic than this, and avoid getting colds all year :-).
It freezes well.
--
					Jack Saltiel
					Cambridge Digital Systems

	"Nailed retreads to my feet and prayed for better weather."

barb@oliven.UUCP (Barbara Jernigan) (08/28/85)

> 		PESTO
>
> Take a bunch of basil, and remove the stems.  Add about 1/3 cup of
> olive oil (for a typical sized bunch of basil), and two cloves of
> garlic (chopped).  Put it in a blender or food processor and grind into
> a paste.  This will be easier if you cut the basil into small pieces
> first.  Add more olive oil if necessary.  Add freshly grated parmesan
> cheese to taste, and either blend some more or stir well.  You may
> need to add still more oil.
>
> You can also add pine nuts.  Parsley is included in many recipes, but
> it should always be replaced with an equal amount of basil.

Ground Almonds are a good substitute for pinenuts, and a bit easier on
the budget.

> The PESTO sauce should be a very dark green at this point.  You can
> judge whether it has the correct amount of oil in it by looking at
> it after it has been sitting around for about 5 minutes.  It should
> have just a little oil seeping out of it.  If it has a lot, you need
> to add less oil next time, or add more cheese or basil.
>
> To serve, add some of the pesto sause to buttered, cooked, pasta, and
> mix.  Add more until everything is green.  Add some more.  You can
> probably correct for too little oil by adding more butter.

Try a dollop of pesto in soup (for example -- Cauliflower Soup).  Delicious!
I will try to remember to post the recipe.