[comp.unix.questions] Online Guru ..

jwabik@shamash.UUCP (Jeff Wabik) (01/05/88)

Forgive if this is not the proper place to ask this question:

We are finally starting to get "into" UNIX here, and are faced with
teaching many "computer people" with no background in UNIX how to exist
in a UNIX environment.  Of course, they don't like UNIX at all, and get
aggrivated by the manuals, etc..  I'm curious if there exists (running
on any system, be it PEE CEE, or UNIX) a sort_of, "Online Guru"..
Software that you could literally ask, "How to I do disk backups", to
which the response would be, "Dump is the UNIX utility that [...].
Please see the manual page for dump(8) for further [...]."

Anyone know of such a thing?

Thanks ..

	-Jeff

---
Jeff A. Wabik @ Control Data Corporation          Bloomington, MN  55440
UUCP: {rosevax,umn-cs,meccts,ems}!shamash!jwabik  ARPA: jwabik@ub.d.umn.edu
			   Live long and program.

jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) (01/06/88)

In article <2665@shamash.UUCP>, jwabik@shamash.UUCP (Jeff Wabik) writes:
> I'm curious if there exists (running
> on any system, be it PEE CEE, or UNIX) a sort_of, "Online Guru"..
> Software that you could literally ask, "How to I do disk backups", to
> which the response would be, "Dump is the UNIX utility that [...].
> Please see the manual page for dump(8) for further [...]."
>
> Anyone know of such a thing?

Long ago, I recall that some university comp center wrote some scripts for
ELIZA or her moral equivalent to turn her into an advisor on how to use
the system.  It struck me as a pretty neat idea.  It was written up in an
issue of CACM, I believe in the mid '70s.  You might try that sort of approach;
it should just be a question of editing up keywords and responses for an
ELIZAoid program (an added hack that would do command substitution in

		James Jones

john@uw-nsr.UUCP (John Sambrook) (01/06/88)

In article <2665@shamash.UUCP> jwabik@shamash.UUCP (Jeff Wabik) writes:
>Forgive if this is not the proper place to ask this question:
>
>We are finally starting to get "into" UNIX here, and are faced with
>teaching many "computer people" with no background in UNIX how to exist
>in a UNIX environment.  Of course, they don't like UNIX at all, and get
>aggrivated by the manuals, etc..  I'm curious if there exists (running
>on any system, be it PEE CEE, or UNIX) a sort_of, "Online Guru"..
>Software that you could literally ask, "How to I do disk backups", to
>which the response would be, "Dump is the UNIX utility that [...].
>Please see the manual page for dump(8) for further [...]."
>
>Anyone know of such a thing?

Funny you should ask.  I was thinking about this just the other day.
In the book "Planning and Understanding -- A Computational Approach to
Human Reasoning" the author, Robert Wilensky, describes `UC', the UNIX
Consultant.

On page 155 of the text the following transcript of a UC session is
presented:

  User:  How can I delete a file?
  UC:	 typing 'rm filename' will remove the file with the name filename
	 from your current directory
  User:	 move a file?
  UC:	 typing 'mv filename newfilename' will move the file with the name
	 filename to a file with the name newfilename
  User:	 How might a file be created in UNIX?
  UC:	 the best way to create a new file is to use the editor,
	 i.e. - 'vi filename'
  User:	 a directory?
  UC:	 typing 'mkdir dirname' will create the directory 'dirname'
	 in the current directory
  User:	 How can I find out how full the disk is?
  UC:	 typing 'df' will tell you how full the disk is
  User:  How can I find out who is on the system?
  UC:	 typing 'who' will tell you who is connected to UNIX
  User:  How do I print a file on the line printer?
  UC:	 typing 'lpr filename' will print the file filename on the
	 line printer
  User:  What is a search path?
  UC:	 A search path is a list of directions in which the operating
	 system searches for programs you have asked it to execute.

I would like to find out more about this program.  It would be great
if this program turned out to be generally useful, however, I'd settle
for hearing more about it from the people at Berkeley.

I also have a reference that I haven't tracked down yet.  Here it is:

  Wilensky, R. (1982). Talking to UNIX in English: An Overview of UC.
  Proceedings of the Second Annual National Conference on Artificial
  Intelligence.  Pittsburgh.

--
John Sambrook                        Internet: john@nsr.bioeng.washington.edu
University of Washington RC-05           UUCP: uw-nsr!john

riddle@woton.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle ) (01/08/88)

> Long ago, I recall that some university comp center wrote some scripts for
> ELIZA or her moral equivalent to turn her into an advisor on how to use
> the system...

I can see it all now:

	Luser:	Guruji, I have a problem.
	Guru:	Read The Fine Manual.
	Luser:	I just typed "rm -r *" and now I can't find my files.
	Guru:	Read The Fine Manual.

And so on...

--- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
--- Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Shriners Burns Institute.
--- riddle@woton.UUCP  {ihnp4,harvard}!ut-sally!im4u!woton!riddle

coe@io.UUCP (Chet Edelman) (01/08/88)

In article <2665@shamash> jwabik@shamash writes:
>				    ... a sort_of, "Online Guru"..
>Software that you could literally ask, "How to I do disk backups", to
>which the response would be, "Dump is the UNIX utility that [...].
>Please see the manual page for dump(8) for further [...]."

I use ``man -k'' (k for keywords, the name and one-line decription on a
manual page) to find out about programs that I think ought to be
there.  Of course, one has to develop a sense of significant keywords.
--
Chet Edelman		"Here am I"			Interleaf Inc.
							10 Canal Park

hubcap@hubcap.UUCP (Mike Marshall) (01/11/88)

* > I'm curious if there exists (running
* > on any system, ... a sort_of, "Online Guru"..
* > Software that you could literally ask, "How to I do disk backups", to
* > which the response would be, "Dump is the UNIX utility that [...].
* > Please see the manual page for dump(8) for further [...]."

have you tried "man -k KEYWORD" ?

If you think I am being patronizing, press "n" now.

If not, here's how it works: pick a KEYWORD that relates to what you want
to learn about, and all of the title lines from the man pages will be
searched and the ones with KEYWORD in 'em will be listed. You might have to
try several times to find what you want, but it usually works for me.

For example:    man -k backup         won't get you what you want...
                      but
                man -k file           will do it.

Also, We BSD types can say  "apropos" instead of "man -k"... classy!

-Mike Marshall         hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu          ...!hubcap!hubcap

jwabik@shamash.UUCP (Jeff Wabik) (01/15/88)

In article <841@hubcap.UUCP>, hubcap@hubcap.UUCP (Mike Marshall) writes:
> * > I'm curious if there exists (running
> * > on any system, ... a sort_of, "Online Guru"..
> * > Software that you could literally ask, "How to I do disk backups", to
> * > which the response would be, "Dump is the UNIX utility that [...].
> * > Please see the manual page for dump(8) for further [...]."

> have you tried "man -k KEYWORD" ?

I was thinking more of an AI doohickey that would interact with you more
like a "human guru".  I received a number of excellent responses (like
30 or 35) via E/Mail -- Thanks to all.  If anyone would like a compiled
copy of the stuff I received, please drop me a note.

	-Jeff

---

PAAAAAR%CALSTATE.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (01/15/88)

Jeff Wabik <jwabik@shamash.uucp> writes:
>  I'm curious if there exists (running
>on any system, be it PEE CEE, or UNIX) a sort_of, "Online Guru"..
>Software that you could literally ask, "How to I do disk backups", to
>which the response would be, "Dump is the UNIX utility that [...].
>Please see the manual page for dump(8) for further [...]."

There must be a smarter program than the script I hacked up recently
for my new users but it is short, simple and does the trick.

Step 1: Write a file full of one line 'facts' like:
   The MSDOS 'dir' command is done by 'ls' on Unix.
   The 'message of the day is stored in file /etc/motd and printed when you logi
(You need a lot of these - all ONE line long)
Step 2: List in a file 'stopwds' all the boring words you can think of like
   do from to in of is not of ...
Step 3: write a script that implements this pseudocode:
   for each argument in turn
       if its a stopwd ignore it
       else look for a word match (grep -iw) in the 'facts' file
       else look for any substring (fgrep -i $word $facts)
       else apologise
            and mail guru a copy of the command
   try the next argument.
Step 4: set up 'guru' as an alias for a group of volunteer experts who like
   to show off their knowledge.
Step 5: If the 'guru's are asked something - add the answers to the 'facts'file.

Step 6: Call the script 'help' (originallity!) and put it on your beginning user
    path.

Hope this helps!
Dick Botting,
PAAAAAR@CCS.CSUSCC.CALSTATE(doc-dick)
paaaaar@calstate.bitnet
PAAAAAR%CALSTATE.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Dept Comp Sci., Cal State U, San Bernardino, CA 92407
Disclaimer: I am an only an egg

rick@leadsv.UUCP (Rick Schneider) (01/16/88)

In article <2665@shamash.UUCP>, jwabik@shamash.UUCP (Jeff Wabik) writes:
>                                                   "Online Guru"..
> Software that you could literally ask, "How to I do disk backups", to
> which the response would be, "Dump is the UNIX utility that [...].
> Please see the manual page for dump(8) for further [...]."

There is an option for the "man" command that does a keyword search of the
man pages.

For instance the answer to the question "How do I find what directory a file is
in?" can be found by typing:

     man -k find

This command will produce the following output:

find (1)		- find files
help (1)		- an easy way to find and use information
indxbib, lookbib (1)	- build inverted index for a bibliography, find references in a bibliography
look (1)		- find lines in a sorted list
lorder (1)		- find ordering relation for an object library
man (1)			- find manual information by keywords; print out the manual
pfind (1P)		- find files in projects
refer (1)		- find and insert literature references in documents
spell, spellin, spellout (1)	- find spelling errors
strings (1)		- find the printable strings in a object, or other binary, file
ttynam, isatty (3F)	- find name of a terminal port
ttyname, isatty, ttyslot (3)	- find name of a terminal

There is one problem with this if the keyword you are looking for does not
appear in the man page's header.  Dump will not be identified by
"man -k backup", but will be identified with any of the words in the dump man
page header: "dump, rdump - incremental file system dump".