[comp.unix.questions] Sending mail from Bitnet to UUCP sites

JHWELCH%AMHERST.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Jonathan_Welch) (01/12/88)

I have installed PMDF on our VAX (we are on Bitnet) and have a
question about sending mail to UUCP sites.

I don't really understand how UUCP works or even completely what it
looks like.  My understanding is that, in general, the entire route
needs to be specified in the address.  Functionally, I would like to
know what my PMDF definitions should be to get mail (via some BITNET
gateway or something) to someone who tells me his address is
{START1,START2}!NODE1!NODE2!USER .  What kind of envelope do I put
this in, and where do I send it?  We have some rudimenty stuff for
sending through the PSUVAX1 gateway, and it looks like:

 !
 ! UUCP addresses:
 !
 .UUCP         $U%$H.UUCP@psuvax1

bit_psuvax1 822 bidirectional multiple smtp daemon mailer
PSUVAX1

But I have this nasty feeling that this isn't good enough, and there will
still be some sites I can't get to, unless PSUVAX1 somehow knows about ALL
of the UUCP sites that exist.  Has anyone dealt with this?

More to the point, however, I clearly need to gain a better understanding of
how UUCP works.  Does anyone have or know of a good book/paper/article on this
subject that they could point me to?

Thanks to anyone who takes a bit of time to straighten me out on this stuff.

BITNET:  jhwelch@AMHERST                 - Jonathan Welch
                                           Vax Systems Programmer

daveb@laidbak.UUCP (Dave Burton) (01/14/88)

In article <11226@brl-adm.ARPA> JHWELCH%AMHERST.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Jonathan_Welch) writes:
>I don't really understand how UUCP works or even completely what it
>looks like.  ...
>More to the point, however, I clearly need to gain a better understanding of
>how UUCP works.  Does anyone have or know of a good book/paper/article on this
>subject that they could point me to?

Try the following:

Using UUCP and USENET
Grace Todino and Tim O'Reilly
O'Reilly & Associates
981 Chestnut St.
Newton, MA 02164

and

UNIX Communications
Anderson, Costales and Henderson
The Waite Group
SAMS & Company Publishing

You should be able to pick either/both up at any decent bookstore
with a Computer Section.

Both books contain some excellent tutorial material on UUCP.
--
--------------------"Well, it looked good when I wrote it"---------------------
 Verbal: Dave Burton                        Net: ...!ihnp4!laidbak!daveb

news@rtech.UUCP (USENET News System) (01/20/88)

In article <11226@brl-adm.ARPA> JHWELCH%AMHERST.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Jonathan_Welch) writes:
>I have installed PMDF on our VAX (we are on Bitnet) and have a
>question about sending mail to UUCP sites.
>
>More to the point, however, I clearly need to gain a better understanding of
>how UUCP works.  Does anyone have or know of a good book/paper/article on this
>subject that they could point me to?

Try the handbook entitled "Managing UUCP and USENET" by Grace Todino
and Tim O'Reilly.  It's the best book that I've had the chance to run into
about how uucp works from an overall perspective as well as from a detailed
file-by-file breakdown of the two most common types of uucp, including
HoneyDanBer UUCP. This publication is available from :
  O'Reilly and Associates
  981 Chestnut Street
  Newton, MA 02159

UUCP is also discussed in less detail in chapters of the book "UNIX System
Security" by Wood and Kochan and in the book "UNIX System Administration"
by Fiedler and Hunter.  Both of these books are published by Hayden Books.

Naturally, I have nothing to do with any of the authors or publishers discussed
above, except for the fact that they now have some of my money... :-)

|  Harry Wong         Relational Technology  Alameda, CA                |
|                      .......{sun,mtxinu,ptsfa}rtech!harry             |