[comp.unix.questions] 4.3 on VAX 8xxx?

bobw@wdl1.UUCP (Robert Lee Wilson Jr.) (01/15/88)

We run 4.3 on a badly overloaded Vax 11/780. In planning an upgrade we
confront a statement that Vax 8xxx machines don't/won't have BSD family
Unix available. I would appreciate mailed comments on the following two
questions:
(as always, if there seems to be wide interest or a pattern in
the answers I will distribute that back to the net.)

(1) How accurate is the statement regarding 8xxx systems and BSD? (We are
of course checking with Mt. Xinu, but it is always nice to have other
sources.)

(2) (Perhaps even more important, for reasons of internal politics... :-))
If we were to switch from 11/780 with 4.3 and a lot of local customization
to 8xxx with Ultrix, what sort of incompatibilities could we expect to
face? How well will Ultrix deal with our Ethernets and Cisco gateways
going off to Arpa? How consistent are goodies like system calls, i.e. can
we expect just to recompile C sources for local code and go?
I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has been through this
switch: If your experiences are too complex to type in, send me a telephone
number and I will be glad to foot the bill for a lengthier discussion.

Thanks for any information you can give,
Bob Wilson at Ford Aerospace and Communications Corp.
(bobw@ford-wdl1.arpa, (415) 852-6572)

rogers@amadeus.TEK.COM (Roger Southwick (rogers@dadla.TEK.COM)) (01/20/88)

In article <4350002@wdl1.UUCP> bobw@wdl1.UUCP (Robert Lee Wilson Jr.) writes:

> We run 4.3 on a badly overloaded Vax 11/780. In planning an upgrade we
> confront a statement that Vax 8xxx machines don't/won't have BSD family
> Unix available. I would appreciate mailed comments on the following two
> questions:
> (as always, if there seems to be wide interest or a pattern in
> the answers I will distribute that back to the net.)
>
> (1) How accurate is the statement regarding 8xxx systems and BSD? (We are
> of course checking with Mt. Xinu, but it is always nice to have other
> sources.)

I know that 4.3 will not run on an 8XXX machines, and have heard that
4.4 (now in Beta Test) WILL run on 8XXX machines.

> (2) (Perhaps even more important, for reasons of internal politics... :-))
> If we were to switch from 11/780 with 4.3 and a lot of local customization
> to 8xxx with Ultrix, what sort of incompatibilities could we expect to
> face?

I have one 4.3 BSD 780 and a 8700 running Ultrix 2.0.  While most of
our binaries work just fine, there are quite a few that require
re-compiling (anything to do with sockets) and I do have one program
that will re-compile, has no lint -habxc errors, and yet refuses to
work properly.  I don't guarentee binary compatibility to my users.

Now as far as customization in the kernel goes, forget it.  I got the
source, and it was incomplete...no drivers for anything on the Bi-bus
except for the dmb-32.  I've gotten a few binary kernel patches from DEC,
and no source patches....so I don't dare run a kernel compiled with my
source...

DEC also does not send you patches automatically...you have to wait until
you have a problem, and then they'll send you a patch...

One of our patches was for the tu81+.  It had a bug in the driver where
a bad tape would cause the driver to lock up.  The only solution was to
re-boot (ick).  When I called DEC in, they checked around, and  after a
few hours of looking found a patch that 'they had known about for 3
weeks'.  The patch they sent did not fix it, but provided a way to at
least re-set the error (mt clhrdsf).  Now this is wonderful, but a pain
if you get an error in the 3rd tape of a 3 volume dump.... You abort
the dump, and do the mt command, then restart the dump (and go thru
tapes 1 & 2 again).

> How well will Ultrix deal with our Ethernets and Cisco gateways
> going off to Arpa?

Don't know that answer to that one.

> How consistent are goodies like system calls, i.e. can
> we expect just to recompile C sources for local code and go?

Some things will work just fine.  Some don't...

> I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has been through this
> switch: If your experiences are too complex to type in, send me a telephone
> number and I will be glad to foot the bill for a lengthier discussion.
>
> Thanks for any information you can give,
> Bob Wilson at Ford Aerospace and Communications Corp.
> (bobw@ford-wdl1.arpa, (415) 852-6572)

If you want, Bob, drop me a note, and I'll mail you my phone number.

	-Roger (rogers@dadla.LA.TEK.COM)
		UUCP:	{ihnp4 | decvax | ucbvax}!tektronix!dadla!rogers
		ARPA:	rogers%dadla.LA.TEK.COM@RELAY.CS.NET

richl@penguin.USS.TEK.COM (Rick Lindsley) (01/20/88)

In article <3007@zeus.TEK.COM> rogers@amadeus.UUCP (Roger Southwick) writes:

    I know that 4.3 will not run on an 8XXX machines, and have heard that
    4.4 (now in Beta Test) WILL run on 8XXX machines.

Sure will be a surprise to teklds.tek.com, Roger! 4.3 does run on 8600's
and 8650's so long as they don't have a BI bus. And as he says, 4.4 is
reputed to even run on those nasty BI's.

Rick

In article <148@puffin.USS.TEK.COM> richl@penguin.USS.TEK.COM (Rick Lindsley) writes:
>In article <3007@zeus.TEK.COM> rogers@amadeus.UUCP (Roger Southwick) writes:
>
>    I know that 4.3 will not run on an 8XXX machines, and have heard that
>    4.4 (now in Beta Test) WILL run on 8XXX machines.
>
>Sure will be a surprise to teklds.tek.com, Roger! 4.3 does run on 8600's
>and 8650's so long as they don't have a BI bus. And as he says, 4.4 is
>reputed to even run on those nasty BI's.
>
>Rick

Sorry about that!  Rick is of course correct.  I meant to say 87XX, and
not 8XXX.

Gee it sure is easy to see when I read my news when I have yet to
have my caffine and sugar :-) :-).

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (01/22/88)

>In article <4350002@wdl1.UUCP> bobw@wdl1.UUCP (Robert Lee Wilson Jr.) writes:
>>We run 4.3 on a badly overloaded Vax 11/780. In planning an upgrade we
>>confront a statement that Vax 8xxx machines don't/won't have BSD family
>>Unix available.

In article <3007@zeus.TEK.COM> rogers@amadeus.TEK.COM (Roger
Southwick (rogers@dadla.TEK.COM)) writes:

[why two addreses in one `From' line?]

>I know that 4.3 will not run on an 8XXX machines,

Correct.

>and have heard that 4.4 (now in Beta Test) WILL run on 8XXX machines.

No.  The next release (which might be called the Tahoe release, or
might be 4.3a [though IBM has used that name already], but probably
will not be called 4.4) will run on CCI/Harris/<whoever> `Tahoe'
machines (includes the CCI Power 6/32 and the Harris HCX-7, if I
remember all the right words).  It *may* run on Vax 8200 and 8250s;
I ported 4.3 to the 8250 when we exchanged two 750s for 8250s
several months ago, and I am trying to get that code integrated
with the release version (I did it once but with a later version:
arrgh) before it goes out.

I say 8200, not 8XXX, because the other 8000 series machines are
different.  One important feature ( :-) ) of the 8200 series is
that it has only one BI bus.  Otherwise you will have to re-rework
autoconf, something I intend to do anyway, but possibly the second
trickiest part of the whole deal.

The only BI drivers I have as yet are for the DWBUA (Unibus) and
the KDB50.  (This leaves those with KLESIs and DMB32s ... `unsatisfied?'
... `holding the dirty end of the stick?')  I have DEBNAs on both
machines but still need to figure out the BI Vax Port protocol or
get some documentation from somewhere; since we have DEUNAs on the
BUAs it has not been important (and since one of the CDC disks on
one machine is dying and Emulex does not have EVM working on the
82xx yet, I have to disassemble and rewrite their formatter first
anyway---they refuse to sell source in any form, even though it
is there in the object anyway, if you just look at it right.  What
a waste.  But I digress...).

Those who are desperate and hold a 4.3 source license can talk to
me (and/or hire me at exorbitant consultant rates :-) ) to get
4.3BSD for the 8200, or any other Vax, as long as I have one to
play with.  (Want 4.3 on the 8700?  Give *me* one :-) .)

mwm@eris (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) (01/22/88)

In article <10284@mimsy.UUCP> chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
<>I know that 4.3 will not run on an 8XXX machines,
<
<Correct.

Well, almost (as has been pointed out before). If you read 8XXX as
"machines cursed with a BI bus." The 8600 and 8650 predate the BI bus,
and so don't have one. They run 4.3. And run it fast. Our 8650 running
4.3 supports more users than our 8800 running Ultrix 2.0.

<Those who are desperate and hold a 4.3 source license can talk to
<me (and/or hire me at exorbitant consultant rates :-) ) to get
<4.3BSD for the 8200, or any other Vax, as long as I have one to
<play with.  (Want 4.3 on the 8700?  Give *me* one :-) .)

If I give you an 8800, how long will it take to get 4.3 running on
both processors :-)?

	<mike
--
Teddies good friend has his two o'clock feast		Mike Meyer
And he's making Teddies ex girl friend come		mwm@berkeley.edu

phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) (01/22/88)

In article <4350002@wdl1.UUCP> bobw@wdl1.UUCP (Robert Lee Wilson Jr.) writes:

>(2) (Perhaps even more important, for reasons of internal politics... :-))
>If we were to switch from 11/780 with 4.3 and a lot of local customization
>to 8xxx with Ultrix, what sort of incompatibilities could we expect to

Here's something to consider. The DEC Ultrix-32 manuals are
copyrighted and cost $730 per set. If you have 32 users and want to
just buy one set and make copies for people, you must buy a "right to
copy" license at $182 per copy.

Call DEC Direct and ask. 800 343 4040. The part number is QLZEK-GZ.

--
The VT220 keyboard sucks, but the VT320 is usable.
DEC finally got it right!

Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or phil@amd.com