[comp.unix.questions] Honey Danbar and Smail2.5

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (01/17/88)

   I'm experiencing a problem with Smail since installing HDB uucp.

   I'm running Microport 2.3U and initially I was using plain UUCP and
Smail2.5. Everything works fine. This weekend I installed HDB uucp. It
took me a bit of digging to get it going but eventually I did get it to
where it would communicate with other systems using "Uutry".

   The problem came when I tried to send mail. I get my News and mail through
UUNET but have a couple other systems that I communicate with directly.
This has been the case for many months. After installing HDB, whenever
I would try and send mail to one of these local sites, it would try and
send it to uunet. Now for initial testing, my Systems file only contained
the entry for one local site, period. AT first I couldnt figure where it
was getting uunet from when I was sending to a local site. In my /usr/lib/uucp
/paths file I have "smarthost" defined as UUNET. It looks as though HDB
wants to punt *everything* to whoever you have designated as smarthost.
I took the smarthost entry out and mail didnt fail, but uux was kicking
out a "-11" error. How can I get around this Smail problem when using
HDB ?  Is there something special that needs to be set up to use the two
together. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

					John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: wa3wbu!john@uunet.UU.NET

jhc@mtunx.ATT.COM (Jonathan Clark) (01/21/88)

In article <457@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) is having
a problem using smail after he's just installed HDB.

He mentions that his Systems file only contains one entry - a local
system - for testing purposes.

When smail queues mail, it does a uux. If this fails, then the mail is
re-sent via SMART-HOST. Since there is only one system in his Systems
file, the uux will *always* fail (except to that system, of course), and
the mail will get redirected via his smart-host. Simply putting the names
of the systems he actually communicates with into his Systems file should
solve the problem.

For the record, HDB does not look in the paths file, neither is it going to
do anything with a uucp job when it can't get to the target machine, except
return it to you with a nasty message.

--
jonathan.clark@mtune.att.com, attmail!jonathan

The Englishman never enjoys himself except for some noble purpose.

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (01/23/88)

In article <1368@mtunx.ATT.COM>, jhc@mtunx.ATT.COM (Jonathan Clark) writes:
> In article <457@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) is having
> a problem using smail after he's just installed HDB.

    I found the problem a few days later. It was in fact a corrupt "uux"
file. I tried executing the simple command "uux system!ls" and also got
the same failure. After obtaining a replacement uux, everything went
just fine. Thanks for all the input.

					John