[comp.unix.questions] SANE Values

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (01/23/88)

SysVr3.0 on a 3B2/400

My docs for stty(1) say:

	"sane	resets all modes to some reasonable values."

But, nowhere does it say what those reasonable values are, nor why they
are considered reasonable.  Can anyone help?  Thanks.

--
Peter Holsberg                  UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division             CompuServe: 70240,334

lm@arizona.edu (Larry McVoy) (01/25/88)

In article <145@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
>	"sane	resets all modes to some reasonable values."
>
>But, nowhere does it say what those reasonable values are, nor why they
>are considered reasonable.  Can anyone help?  Thanks.

Well, try this:

	$ stty -a # or -all or everything or whatever it is
	$ stty sane
	$ stty -a # or -all or everything or whatever it is

and then stare at the differences.  It usually sets things up similar to the
way it "used to be".  Like @ and # as editing chars, DEL as intr, etc.
--
Larry McVoy	lm@arizona.edu or ...!{uwvax,sun}!arizona.edu!lm
		Use the force - read the source.

chute@chutepc.UUCP (Chris Chute MD) (01/25/88)

In article <145@mccc.UUCP>, pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
> ... 	"sane	resets all modes to some reasonable values."
> But, nowhere does it say what those reasonable values are, nor why they
> are considered reasonable.  Can anyone help?  Thanks.

I don't mean to be droll, but we scientific types would just try it and then
inquire about what stty settings we end up with.

Cheers,
Chris Chute M.D.			IntN: chute@hscfvax.harvard.edu
Harvard School of Public Health		UUCP: chute@chutepc.uucp
Department of Epidemiology		BitN: chute@harvspha.bitnet
677 Huntington Ave			Voice:   (617)732-1480
Boston, MA 02115			Data:    (617)732-1843