[comp.unix.questions] Using several fonts in troff

cimeti@nucsrl.UUCP (Israel Cimet) (01/17/88)

Greetings. I need to use several different fonts in troff (e.g.:
helvetica, times, and maybe hebrew). Our system has the font
descriptions, but the troff application seems to be an old one (it
only supports 4 fonts at any time). Anyways, noone around here knows
how to do it.

I will appreciate any suggestions or pointers to where I can find how
to use the different fonts (in the same document if possible).

Thanks in advance!!.

------------------
I. Arieh CImet
Northwestern University

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (01/21/88)

Old troff only supports four fonts at a time (although you can
change them to whatever you want) because it is generating codes
for a C/A/T phototypesetter which only has four font positions.
A program such as vcat then converts these codes into something
else such as the raster lines for a versatec, in vcat's case.
vcat uses the .railmag file to indicate which of the vcat fonts
are mounted where.  You must also tell troff which font is mounted
so that it can get the widths correct.

If you want more fonts and generalized typesetter support then
you need ditroff (new troff) which generates a typesetter independant
pass which is processed by various output filters for various devices.
You can change fonts arbitrarily there.

-Ron

harrison@utfyzx.uucp (David Harrison) (01/28/88)

In article <17495@topaz.rutgers.edu> ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
> If you want more fonts and generalized typesetter support then
> you need ditroff (new troff) which generates a typesetter independant
> pass which is processed by various output filters for various devices.
> You can change fonts arbitrarily there.

Also, beware of some macro packages.  MM in particular has hard-coded
the 4 font positions of old-troff, so one needs to map the desired fonts
corresponding to the font postions.  Here's an mm example for Helvetica:
	.fp 1 HR
	.fp 2 HI
	.fp 3 HB
--
    David Harrison, Dept. of Physics, Univ. of Toronto
    {ihnp4,utzoo}!utgpu!utfyzx!harrison