[comp.unix.questions] Announcing C-Kermit 4E

SY.FDC@cu20b.columbia.edu (Frank da Cruz) (01/25/88)

This is to announce another minor release, but this time a "real" release,
of C-Kermit for Unix, VAX/VMS, Data General AOS, the Commodore Amiga,
the Apple Macintosh, etc.  The changes were minor, and only appear in the
Unix versions.  They include:

. Suspendibility via Ctrl-Z on systems with job control (Bob Brown).
. Explicit support for SCO Xenix in the Makefile (from D.W. Bettinger).
. Explicit support for the AT&T 7300, including the ability to dial its
  internal modem (from R.E. Hill, untested).
. Improved response of the C-Kermit server to 'remote cwd' commands.
. Miscellaneous small fixes and cleanups.

The major change is that since this is now considered a real release,
the files have been named from XK*.* back to CK*.*, and the XK*.* files
are gone, resulting in a savings of about 2 megabytes in our Kermit
distribution area and on our tapes.

All files' names changed, but the only files whose contents changed are:

 ckuker.upd - Update history
 ckuker.bwr - Beware file
 ckcfns.c   - Functions (better reporting of current directory by server)
 ckcmai.c   - Main program (new version number)
 ckcpro.c   - Protocol module (wart output)
 ckudia.c   - Dial module (ATT 7300 support added)
 ckuusr.c   - New calls
 ckutio.c   - Support for ATT 7300, job control fixes
 ckufio.c   - New zgtdir() function to return current directory
 ckdfio.c   - Ditto (but dummy)
 ckifio.c   - Ditto (but dummy)
 ckmfio.c   - Ditto (but dummy)
 ckvfio.c   - Ditto (but dummy)
 ckwart.c   - Syntax error fixed

These files are in K2: on CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU, e.g. K2:CKCFNS.C, available via
anonymous FTP.  They are also available on BITNET from KERMSRV@CUVMA as
CKCFNS C, etc.  For information about using KERMSRV to get Kermit files,
send a message to KERMSRV@CUVMA with the message text saying "help".

Please report any problems with this release to Info-Kermit@CU20B.
-------

paul@vixie.UUCP (Paul Vixie Esq) (01/26/88)

In article <11449@brl-adm.ARPA> SY.FDC@cu20b.columbia.edu (Frank da Cruz) writes:
>This is to announce another minor release, but this time a "real" release,
>of C-Kermit for Unix, VAX/VMS, Data General AOS, the Commodore Amiga,
>the Apple Macintosh, etc.  The changes were minor, and only appear in the
>Unix versions. [...]

Kermit has been one of the most useful pseudo-PD programs I've ever, uh, used.

I'm curious, though, as to whether this release includes the long-discussed
"windowing kermit protocol" which would apparently allow several ACKs to be
outstanding at one time, thus improving performance on half-duplex and X.25
connections.  I read about this in 1983-84, I think, but I've never heard
of it having made it into code.  Does anyone know the full story on this?

--
Paul A Vixie Esq
paul%vixie@uunet.uu.net

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (01/29/88)

In article <6478@oberon.USC.EDU> blarson@skat.usc.edu (Bob Larson) writes:
| Unfortunatly, I'm rather certain full duplex windows havn't made it
| into C-kermit yet.  The only version I know of are for Primos, a
| semi-functional (and unmaintainable) one for ms-dos, and commercial
| ms-dos packages.  (such as procom)  There may of course be others I am
| not aware of.

Columbia has the code for windows, and FDC is getting the feature
integrated with the existing code. I offered to send a version with
windows, and he said he had it.

I can not, and will not, mail or post the source. It's huge and of
minimal interest. Those who want it can download from alphacm
714-828-0288 (where I got it) or *IX BBS 518-346-8033, login as xbbs,
not bbs. You will have to fill out the questionare on *IX and wait to be
validated.

I can't put any more thru my mailer than I am, sorry.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)