[comp.unix.questions] File Transfer SYSV.0 --> BSD4.1 :

rkxyv@mergvax.UUCP (Robert Kedoin) (01/21/88)

I have approximately 300 Megabytes of data that I need to transfer
from a Unix System V.0 machine to a VAX 11/780 running BSD 4.1. (no
chuckles please :-( )

Does anyone know of a quick and easy way to do this ?  I would like to
do the transfer with tape.  Does anyone know of any tape utilities
that are preferably multi-volume AND compatible between the two
flavors of Unix ?

Thanks in advance for the help!

		-Rob Kedoin

UUCP:	...philabs\!mergvax\!rkxyv
ARPA:	rkxyv%mergvax.UCCP@seismo.css.gov
BITNET:	rkxyv%mergvax.UUCP@seismo.css.gov.BITNET

guy@gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) (01/22/88)

> Does anyone know of any tape utilities that are preferably multi-volume AND
> compatible between the two flavors of Unix ?

The only tape utilities that I know of that come with 4.1BSD are "tar" and
"dump"/"restor".  "tar" also comes with S5 (unless your vendor did something
stupid such as deleting it), and the two are compatible (being based on the
same code).  4BSD "tar" can read tapes made by other "tar"s, and other "tar"s
can read tapes made by the 4BSD "tar" with only some warnings issued when the
entries the 4BSD "tar" puts onto the tape for directories are encountered.
(Everything *works* correctly, you just get noise.)  The "o" option to the 4BSD
"tar" will tell it not to put those entries on the tape.

Neither of the versions of "tar" in question support multiple volumes.  If you
want multi-volume support, you'll have to port "cpio" to the 4.1BSD system
(doable - it won't just compile as is, but somebody fairly knowledgable about
UNIX can fix it) or port some other utility that supports multiple volumes to
both systems.

"dump"/"restor" supports multiple volumes, but "dump" only dumps entire file
systems; while the S5 and 4.1BSD file systems are basically the same (i.e., the
V7 file system), there may be some minor tweaks involved in porting it to S5.
Also, note that "dump" writes binary data directly to the tape, so "dump" tapes
can't necessarily be read by a vanilla "restor" on a machine with different
data formats (byte order, alignment rules, etc.).
	Guy Harris
	guy@sun.com

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (01/24/88)

In article <288@mergvax.UUCP> rkxyv@mergvax.UUCP (Robert Kedoin) writes:
>I have approximately 300 Megabytes of data that I need to transfer
>from a Unix System V.0 machine to a VAX 11/780 running BSD 4.1.

     tar | kermit ...... kermit | tar

or (better)

     tar | sz ...... rz | tar
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi

egisin@orchid.waterloo.edu (Eric Gisin) (01/25/88)

In article <1935@bsu-cs.UUCP>, dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
> >I have approximately 300 Megabytes of data that I need to transfer
> >from a Unix System V.0 machine to a VAX 11/780 running BSD 4.1.
>
>      tar | kermit ...... kermit | tar

Don't be ridiculous. That would take more that 8 days.
(a 780 won't do more than 400 bytes/second with kermit).

brad@bradley.UUCP (01/25/88)

Try afio....it supports multiple tapes and works great.
-brad@bradley.UUCP

ka@june.cs.washington.edu (Kenneth Almquist) (01/30/88)

>  Does anyone know of any tape utilities that are preferably
> multi-volume AND compatible between the two flavors of Unix?

One possiblity is to use tar, and write your own programs for
handling multiple tapes.  Here are some sample shell scripts
(untested, but they should give you the idea).

-----------------------------------
# twrite - write multiple tapes
# usage:  tar ... | twrite
while test true
do      echo 'mount next tape and type return:\c'
        (read line) <&2
        dd of=/dev/rmt0 obs=5120 count=6000
done
-----------------------------------
# tread - read multiple tapes
# usage:  tread | tar ...
while test true
do      echo -n 'mount next tape and type return:' >&2
        read line
        dd if=/dev/rmt0 ibs=5120
done

These programs will keep asking you to mount new tapes indefinitely
so you have to hit delete to kill them after the last tape.  Kind of
grungy, but hey, what do you want for 5 lines of shell script?
				Kenneth Almquist