[net.cooks] More

sue@burdvax.UUCP (Sue Mardinly) (08/28/85)

Pesto with basil is traditional, but this year I had lots of sorrel, so
decided to try making pesto with it.  I used walnuts instead of pine nuts.
It was terrific!!!  Last year we used the oregano and marjaram that we had
in the garden.  That was great, too.  I've heard of spinach pesto - I'm
going to try that next.  The best pesto I've had so far is a 2/3 to 1/3
mixture of the sorrel pesto and basil pesto.

When I make Pesto, I usually don't measure anything, I just throw it in
and taste.  If I had to guess at a recipe, this would be it:

2 cups leafy green herb or vegy (basil, parsley, spinach, sorrel, whatever -
				 try a combination of the above)
lots of garlic (6 cloves or so)

mush that in a food processor

add about 1/2 cup freshly grated cheese
		 (I've used parmesean, romano, something else, but
		  I don't recall its name at the moment)

add 1/4 - 1/2 cup nuts (I've used pine, walnuts, and almonds-they were O.K)

mush that up

with food processor running, add enough olive oil to make it of a 'creamy'
(if that word can be applied here) consistency.  I would guess about a cup
or so.

When we put it on pasta, we always add more cheese and lots of pepper. I
also use it mixed in with a white sauce on anything. (for example chicken)
I also make a lasagna using the white sauce and pesto combo.  Try pesto on
omelets, too. Its great on tomatoes.  And fish.  And ...

Sue Mardinly (burdvax!sue)
SDC - a Burroughs Co.

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (08/31/85)

In article <2105@burdvax.UUCP> sue@burdvax.UUCP (Sue Mardinly) writes:

>Pesto with basil is traditional, but this year I had lots of sorrel, so
>decided to try making pesto with it.  I used walnuts instead of pine nuts.
>It was terrific!!!

I've also eaten, though never made, a cilantro pesto.  It was
served, at the Fourth Street Grill in Berkeley, atop a grilled steak of
yellowfin tuna.  Absolutely wonderful.

I've also had spinach pesto, and I can imagine others that would
be good, too.

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2910 Seventh St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

"A man of quality is not threatened by a woman of equality."