[comp.unix.questions] Honneydanbar documentation

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (01/15/88)

   Where can I find a good book on Honeydanbar UUCP ?  I'm trying to
get it running here and none of my Unix books has much to say in so
far as detailed installation/configuration information. Thanks.

					John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: wa3wbu!john@uunet.UU.NET

ajohnson@killer.UUCP (Andy Johnson) (01/17/88)

In article <455@wa3wbu.UUCP>, john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:

>    Where can I find a good book on Honeydanbar UUCP ?  I'm trying to
> get it running here and none of my Unix books has much to say in so
> far as detailed installation/configuration information. Thanks.

If anyone has this information electronically... I would like a copy
of it too.
Mail it to:
{inhp4}!killer!ajohnson
OR
{inhp4}!codas!novavax!pinn!sysop

Thanks a million!

rick@kimbal.UUCP (Rick Kimball) (01/17/88)

O'Reilly & Associates. Inc publishes a great primer on UUCP.
It is called:

	Managing UUCP and Usenet

What's really nice about the book is it explains both versions of
UUCP.  Here is a chapter outline.

	Chapter 1 How UUCP Works
	Chapter 2 The Physical Connection
	Chapter 3 Setting Up a UUCP Link
	Chapter 4 Making Sure The Link Works
	Chapter 5 Access and Security Considerations
	Chapter 6 UUCP Administration
	Chapter 7 Introduction to Usenet
	Chapter 8 Installing Netnews
	Chapter 9 Administering Netnews
	Appendix A Working Files
	Appendix B Talking to Modems
	Appendix C More on RS-232
	Appendix D A program to Set the Node Name

Call 1-800-338-NUTS to order.  (No, I don't work for them)

Rick Kimball

UUCP:codas!flnexus!kimbal!rick

jmc@ptsfa.UUCP (Jerry Carlin) (01/19/88)

Look in the AT&T System V.3 System Administrator Guide for the 3B2
computer under "Basic Networking".

--
Jerry Carlin (415) 823-2441 {ihnp4,lll-crg,ames,qantel,pyramid}!ptsfa!jmc
soon: {ihnp4,lll-crg,ames,qantel,pyramid}!pacbell!ptsfa!jmc

learn@igloo.UUCP (william vajk) (01/19/88)

In article <455@wa3wbu.UUCP>, john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:

>    Where can I find a good book on Honeydanbar UUCP ?  I'm trying to
> get it running here and none of my Unix books has much to say in so
> far as detailed installation/configuration information. Thanks.

I recently discovered a book called _Unix Communications_ published
by Sams, The Waite Group ( Sams # 22511 ) that gives lots of coverage
to Honeydanber. There is pretty extensive coverage of installation
configuration and general uucp background included with the distribution
of Honeydanber from Microport.

Bill Vajk                                             e-mail learn@igloo

domo@riddle.UUCP (Dominic Dunlop) (01/21/88)

In article <455@wa3wbu.UUCP>, john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:

>    Where can I find a good book on Honeydanbar UUCP ?  I'm trying to
> get it running here and none of my Unix books has much to say in so
> far as detailed installation/configuration information. Thanks.

The best reference I know of is

	;Login:	May/June 86:
	Honey Danber UUCP -- Bringing UNIX into the information age
		(part 1 of 2)
	Bill Reikin & Jim Webb

Part 2 is in the July/August 86 issue of ;login:, which is the journal of
Usenix.  Usenix can be contacted at usenix.UUCP!office (as I recall) for
information on how to purchase back-issues.  The lengthy articles give a
very readable (by UNIX initiates, at least) and complete run down on new,
improved uucp (as implemented on the 3B2), with pithy analysis of
why uucp needed renewing and improving.  See also

	_UNIX System Security_
	Wood & Kochan
	Hayden, 1985
	ISBN 0-8104-6267-2

which devotes most of its final chapter to Honey DanBer uucp.  It's a good
book to have around, anyway.

Apart from that, the genuwine AT&T _UNIX System V System Adminitrator's
Guide_ is a pretty good reference, too (thanks, AT&T for some worthwhile
documentation at last).  I have to hand the Intel 80286/80386 version,
which you can order in the US by calling 1-800-432-6600, and quoting the
magic incantation ``select code 307-681'' and a ``major credit card''
number.  (+44 1 317-352-8557 outside the US).  The version for the 3B2
is A LOT less expensive -- although still not cheap -- but my edition
does not have some useful stuff about uucp using AT&T's Network Listener
Service over networks, which is in the Intel edition.  Can't give you
the comcode for the 3B2 version -- it's locked in a cupboard.  Note that
the Administrator Guide is NOT among the UNIX V.3 documents republished
by Prentice-Hall, so you won't get it at B Dalton, or similar.  (You
should republish, Prentice-Hall: it's full of stuff people need to know.)

Another poster has mentioned the Nutshell Handbook on _Managing uucp and
Usenet_ published by O'Reilly and Associates.  I agree it's very good --
the XENIX support people around here have my copy more of the time than
I do -- but it doesn't cover Honey DanBer at all.  Is there a new edition
that does?  Perhaps ora!someone (I know you're out there!) would like to
clarify.  I saw something from them recently in newprod, but didn't save a
copy...
--
Dominic Dunlop
domo@sphinx.co.uk  domo@riddle.uucp

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (02/02/88)

In article <547@riddle.UUCP>, domo@riddle.UUCP (Dominic Dunlop) writes:
> I do -- but it doesn't cover Honey DanBer at all.  Is there a new edition
> that does?  Perhaps ora!someone (I know you're out there!) would like to
> clarify.  I saw something from them recently in newprod, but didn't save a
> copy...

    Thanks for your input. I have the Systems Security manual and will
look through the HDB section. I have all the Nutshell UUCP books and indeed
the originals did *NOT* cover HDB. However, late in 1987 they revised
all UUCP books and now they are very complete for UUCP & HDB. I thank
the person who posted info on Nutshell. My initial thought was "gee,
mine dont cover that", but a quick call to O'Reilly revealed the info.
The new manuals are much improved. They are twice as thick, have nice
spiral binders and are twice the original price (now $15 each) but it is
$15 very well spent dollars. The chapters on installing and running
USENET News software are invaluable!

					John