[comp.unix.questions] A unix neophyte needs help with unarc

wrm@pnet02.cts.com (William Mattil) (02/05/88)

chn@a.UUCP (Charles Neil) writes:

>I hope I have found the correct newsgroup for this query.
>Can someone out there help me learn how to get binaries
>off the net and onto my pc, and get them running?
>I have written (via the w command) several articles from
>comp.binaries.ibm.pc to local files.  Then I read the
>first few lines of such a file, and it says to uudecode,
>and then unarc.  When I uudecode the file, I get another
>file called <filename>.arc.  I don't know what to do with this
>.arc file.  I've tried ar, and that said "file not in archive

You need to run a program called ARC.EXE by SEA on the program in question.
ie: ARC x filename.arc ( the x tells arc to extract all components of the
archive. ) You should be able to get the latest release of ARC from any good
"DOS" based bbs.

UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!wrm
UUCP: {hplabs!felix, crash}!telcomm!wrm
INET: wrm@pnet02.cts.com