[net.cooks] Only in California

bellas@ttidcb.UUCP (Pete Bellas) (08/15/85)

I saw a	"Grand Opening"	sign on	a new restraunt	near my	home, so I went
in to check it out.

I live in Saugus (I know that no one on	the net	probably knows where it
is (Murray Hill?, where's that), it's about fifty miles	north of LA and
one of the few areas in	southern california that is still working horse
ranches) far from the city.

It is a	japanese restraunt, when I entered I was supprised  to	see  an
entire construction crew, complete with	tool belts, seated at the sushi
bar, eating sushi and drinking sake!  When I worked in	construction we
wouldn't be caught dead eating sushi, it was strictly burgers and beer!
Well so	much for tradition.

I know this doesn't have much (anything?) to do with cooking but I  had
to tell	someone!

			-Pete-

chai@utflis.UUCP (Henry Chai) (08/23/85)

In article <433@ttidcb.UUCP> bellas@ttidcb.UUCP (Pete Bellas) writes:

>It is a japanese restraunt, when I entered I was supprised  to	see  an
>entire construction crew, complete with tool belts, seated at the sushi
>bar, eating sushi and drinking sake!  When I worked in	construction we
>wouldn't be caught dead eating sushi, it was strictly burgers and beer!
>Well so much for tradition.

Well, I'm glad to hear that there are construction workers who are not so
obsessed about their "real men" image as to deny themselves the
pleasure of "finer" foods!

Back to sushi.....
I make my own.  Not with raw fish of course, (smoked salmon is the closest
I got to the "real thing"), but sushi needn't always be made with raw fish.
I also make them with marinated cucumber; eggs and/or shiitake mushrooms
(black oriental mushrooms; available dried in CHinese grocery stores).
For the seaweed (nori) I got packages of the stuff, about 10 sheets for ~$3.
The seasoning for the rice also comes in packages and can be found in Japanese
stores.
With a bit of imagination, you can enjoy the multitudenous (sp?) variations
of sushi at home, at a fraction of the cost!

some suggestions:
cooked crab; cooked FRESH shrimp, avocado;
smoked eel (don't bother with smoked cod)
blanched octopus/squid
caviar (?)
--
Henry Chai
Faculty of Library and Information Science, U of Toronto

rusty@sdcarl.UUCP (rusty c. wright) (08/31/85)

In article <246@utflis.UUCP> chai@utflis.UUCP (Henry Chai) writes:
>In article <433@ttidcb.UUCP> bellas@ttidcb.UUCP (Pete Bellas) writes:
>>
>>It is a japanese restraunt, when I entered I was supprised  to see an
>>entire construction crew, complete with tool belts, seated at the sushi
>>bar, eating sushi and drinking sake!  When I worked in construction we
>>wouldn't be caught dead eating sushi, it was strictly burgers and beer!
>>Well so much for tradition.
>
>Well, I'm glad to hear that there are construction workers who are not so
>obsessed about their "real men" image as to deny themselves the
>pleasure of "finer" foods!
>
>Henry Chai
>Faculty of Library and Information Science, U of Toronto
>{watmath,ihnp4,allegra}!utzoo!utflis!chai

These construction workers are no doubt obsessed about their "yuppie"
image.  The thing i dislike the most about eating at a sushi bar is
the people that are trying to act like they are "cool" and, like, just
totally hip.
--
	rusty c. wright
	{ucbvax,ihnp4,akgua,hplabs,sdcsvax}!sdcarl!rusty