[net.cooks] Flan

davidson@sdcsvax.UUCP (Greg Davidson) (08/27/85)

I'm mad about Flan, but I can rarely find the real thing.  All of the
Mexican restaurants in San Diego (generally a good place for Mexican
food) serve an ersatz Flan which is more like Jello custard with an
insipid caramel sauce.  Real Flan is a very solid custard with a sauce
that is thick and slightly bitter.  I've had it in Mexico and in L.A.

A related dish is Creme Caramel, served in many French restaurants.
Its O.K., but still doesn't have the character of Flan.

Does anyone have a recipe for Flan which they have found to produce
the real thing?

_Greg

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (09/01/85)

In article <1060@sdcsvax.UUCP> davidson@sdcsvax.UUCP (Greg davidson) writes:
>I'm mad about Flan, but I can rarely find the real thing...
>
>Does anyone have a recipe for Flan which they have found to produce
>the real thing?

I found this in a newspaper many years ago.  I don't know if it's the "real
thing" or not, but nobody I've made it for has complained otherwise...

	C H E F   J E N S E N ' S   F L A N   (whoever he is)

	2 cups sugar
	1/2 cup water
	1 quart milk
	8 large eggs
	1 tsp. vanilla
	Pinch of salt

In a heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stir together 1 cup of the sugar
and the 1/2 cup water until the sugar dissolves.  Continue cooking over
moderate heat, without stirring, until golden brown.  Pour the syrup into
a round 10" by 2" cake pan (from a 3 to 4-tier cake set); tilt to coat
bottom and sides; let cool for 30 minutes.

Heat the milk until lukewarm.  In a large bowl beat together until blended
the eggs, remaining 1 cup sugar, vanilla, salt, and 1 cup of the lukewarm
milk; add the remaining lukewarm milk and beat to blend.  Strain into the
prepared pan.  Place in the round 12" by 2" pan from the tiered set; add
enough tap water to come up about as high as the custard mixture.  Bake in
preheated 350F oven until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean -
about 50 minutes.  Cool.  Cover with wax paper and chill.

Place a large shallow serving dish upside down over the flan; invert;
remove the pan.  [Apply a cloth soaked in hot water if the flan refuses to
come out otherwise.]  There will be a generous amount of caramel syrup.

Makes 12 servings.

AWR