[comp.unix.questions] sccs front end

ted@braggvax.arpa (01/30/88)

>From: "Greg A. Woods " <woods@tslanpar.uucp>
>Subject: Re: SCCS vs. RCS

>   One thing that is MUCH more difficult with SCCS than it was with VCS is to
>   hide all of the special files in another directory.  What makes it hard with
>   SCCS is that none of the commands support an option or environment variable
>   to accomplish this task, and none of the make rules properly support such a
>   feature either.  (One could write a new set of make rules, and use the little
>   documented "include" feature).

Actually, with BSD systems (4.2, 4.3 and SunOS anyway), there is a command
called "sccs" that acts as a front end to the sccs command family and
lets you keep all your sccs files in an SCCS directory.

				Ted Nolan
				ted@braggvax.arpa

brianc@cognos.uucp (Brian Campbell) (02/10/88)

In article <11551@brl-adm.ARPA> ted@braggvax.arpa writes:
! Actually, with BSD systems (4.2, 4.3 and SunOS anyway), there is a command
! called "sccs" that acts as a front end to the sccs command family and
! lets you keep all your sccs files in an SCCS directory.

And for anyone that isn't using a BSD system, I wrote a sccs csh
script that does pretty much everything that the BSD sccs does.  It
doesn't support the PROJECTDIR variable (although it could), and it
doesn't run quite as fast but it works.
--
Brian Campbell        uucp: decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!brianc
Cognos Incorporated   mail: POB 9707, 3755 Riverside Drive, Ottawa, K1G 3Z4