[net.cooks] Microwave query

mer@prism.UUCP (08/27/85)

This has probably appeared at some point, but maybe not.  Anyway, I'm the
proud owner of a new microwave oven.  My problem is: are my dishes
microwave safe?  I bought them years ago, before microwaves were prevalent
(existant?), and so they don't say anything about it on their obverse
side.  A friend said the thing to do was to put something that was not
very heat-conductive on a plate or in a bowl and try cooking it;  if the
plate/bowl got hot then it probably has too much metal in it to use.  This
sounds quite reasonable, so my question is "what do I try to cook?"  I
have no idea what kind of food qualifies.  Any suggestions?

In article <2800003@prism.UUCP>, mer@prism.UUCP writes:
>This has probably appeared at some point, but maybe not.  Anyway, I'm the
>proud owner of a new microwave oven.  My problem is: are my dishes
>microwave safe?  I bought them years ago, before microwaves were prevalent
>(existant?), and so they don't say anything about it on their obverse
>side.  A friend said the thing to do was to put something that was not
>very heat-conductive on a plate or in a bowl and try cooking it;  if the
>plate/bowl got hot then it probably has too much metal in it to use.  This
>sounds quite reasonable, so my question is "what do I try to cook?"  I
>have no idea what kind of food qualifies.  Any suggestions?

Perhaps better:  try placing a Pyrex (or equiv.) container with a cup of water
in the corner of the oven, and the suspected dish by itself in the middle.
Cook for a minute or so then feel the dish.  If it gets warm there could be
trouble using it to cook with, especially if it is plastic.  Melamine ware gets
hot and chars in the microwave, for example.   Dishes with decorative silvery or
gold trim may also cause trouble; I have had one such dish produce sparks
when placed in a microwave oven, so watch carefully when you begin the test.

Some microwave utensils are supposed to get hot (like bacon browners), so just
because the utensil gets hot may not mean trouble if it is a ceramic-type,
otherwise ovenproof utensil and you don't mind the effects of the heat on the
surface of the food.
|         an engihacker @        |  ployer, my pets, my plants, my boss, or the
| at&t computer systems division |  s.a. of any computer upon which I may hack.
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!ihnp4!ttrdc!levy
                                      or: ..!ihnp4!iheds!ttbcad!levy

hosking@convexs.UUCP (09/02/85)

> My problem is: are my dishes microwave safe?  I bought them years ago, before
> microwaves were prevalent (existant?), and so they don't say anything about
> it on their obverse side.

You bought them before microwaves existed ?  They must be REALLY old.  I
thought stuff that simply pre-dated microwave OVENS was old! <;-{)
Anyway, here's what the manual for my microwave oven says:

"When  selecting  a new  piece of  cookware for  microwave use, first
check  the  manufacturer's  directions.   Also  review the "Materials
Checklist" on page 17 and "A Guide to Cookware" on  page 19.   If you
are  still  in  doubt, here  is a  test you  can do  to see  if it is
microproof [safe and recommended for  microwave cooking].   Place the
item  on  the  ceramic  tray  with  a  measuring  cup  full  of water
alongside.  Cook (micro) on  HI (max.   power)  45 seconds.   If your
dish feels hot, it is  absorbing microwave  energy and  should not be
used.  If it feels barely warm, it has  limited microproof capability
and may  be used  for brief  periods (warming  food).   If it remains
cool, it is microproof.  Keep in mind  that metal  cookware, or items
trimmed with metal are not used for microwave  cooking.   Not only do
they reflect microwaves and prevent them from reaching  the food, but
they can cause sparks, a static charge, known  as arcing.   Arcing is
not harmful to you, though it will deface the oven.  Oh, did you know
that paper products are microproof ?  They are!"

Page 17 says that you can use:
	china and pottery (ideal if no metallic glaze or trim)
	glass (no problem, since ALL ovenproof glass is microproof)
	metals (says you can use under limited circumstances, but
		this probably doesn't apply to all ovens.  It's
		probably best to avoid any metal to be safe.)
	paper (ok for short term use, but not if foil lined)
	plastic (sometimes, but hard to tell in all cases)
	plastic pouches or cooking bags (ok, but slit bag first to
		vent steam)
	straw and wood (ok, but watch out for metal fasteners)

Page 19 specifically prohibits metal pans, or metal glazed things,
	but specifically allows the use of:
	boilable pouches
	china plates, cups
	Corelle Livingware
	Corning Ware
	Oven cooking bags
	Paper towels, plates, liners, cups, etc.
	Plastic wrap (I'd be hesitant..)
	Plastic cookware, dishes, roasting racks (I'd be hesitant for some)
	Pottery, earthenware, clay cookers
	Pyrex and heatproof glass
	Soft plastics, sherbet cartons (for very short periods)
	Waxed paper (I'd be hesitant..)
	Wood products
	Straw baskets (no metal trim)

You'll probably find that you have enough things which are definitely
safe to use that you won't have to  buy much  (if any)  new stuff for
microwave cooking.  Good luck!

		Doug Hosking
		Convex Computer Corp.
		Richardson, TX
		{allegra, ihnp4, uiucdcs}!convex!convexs!hosking

By the way:  Even though a lot of oven manuals don't say  it, you may
have gotten a free timer with  your microwave  oven.   In many cases,
you can use  the microwave  oven timer  without turning  on the oven.
Select the  desired stop  time, but  USE A  POWER  LEVEL OF "0", then
"start"  your  oven.   On my  oven, I  can set  things to  stop at an
absolute time (3:47) or at a relative time (in 34 minutes).  When the
desired time has elapsed, the "done" beeper should sound.