[comp.unix.questions] TeX support

flash@lehi3b15.CSEE.Lehigh.EDU (Stephen Corbesero) (02/13/88)

OK, I have gotten the source code for TeX and gotten it to compile on
my 3B15.

Then I went out and bought the books: The TeXbook, and the LaTeX
user's manual.

My question is still the same as before:
   1) where can I get plain.tex?
   2) What do I do after I run initex and read plain.tex?
   3) What is virtex?
   4) Are the LaTex macros available somewhere as well?
   5) Why isn't Scribe better than TeX?

chris@trantor.umd.edu (Chris Torek) (02/13/88)

In article <306@lehi3b15.CSEE.Lehigh.EDU> flash@lehi3b15.CSEE.Lehigh.EDU
(Stephen Corbesero) writes:
>OK, I have gotten the source code for TeX and gotten it to compile on
>my 3B15.

[a surprise; I did not know 3B15s had working Pascal compilers---or
perhaps you got a TeX-in-C distribution]

>My question is still the same as before:
>   1) where can I get plain.tex?

It comes with the source code.  At least, it *should* come with the
source code.  An annotated listing can be found in Appendix B of The
TeXbook.

>   2) What do I do after I run initex and read plain.tex?

Use the \dump command to build plain.fmt:

	% initex
	This is TeX, version x.y for yoursys (INITEX)
	**plain \dump
	[much output]

>   3) What is virtex?

Virtex is a `virgin' TeX without the extra overhead required to
make .fmt files.  It can, however, *read* .fmt files:

	% virtex
	This is TeX, version x.y for yoursys (no format preloaded)
	**&plain
	*

On some systems it is possible to `preload' formats; on Unix systems
this is usually done by making a core dump, then combining the core
dump and the virtex program into a new `preloaded tex'.  This procedure
is so system dependent that the best answer to `how?' is `obtain
GNU Emacs'.

>   4) Are the LaTex macros available somewhere as well?

Only on just about every TeX distribution tape.

>   5) Why isn't Scribe better than TeX?

Maybe it is.  Last time I checked, it also cost $10,000 for a
binary release.  We paid $75 for our TeX tape.
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Computer Science, +1 301 454 7163
(hiding out on trantor.umd.edu until mimsy is reassembled in its new home)