[comp.unix.questions] make question

ram@deepthot.UUCP (M.V.S. Ramanath) (02/10/88)

Make (on a Sun 3-50/SunOS 3.2) produces the following diagnostic:

$! nulled, predecessor circle

when run on a makefile containing:

a.c: a
	yacc a
	mv y.tab.c a.c

but appears to correctly run yacc and mv. On a VAX running BSD4.2
the diagnostic does not appear. Is this cause for concern? I can
find no reference in the Sun manuals to '$!'. Any explanations ?

ram@uwovax.BITNET  or  ram@julian.UUCP  or  ram@uwocsd.UWO.CDN  or
...!decvax!utzoo!julian!uwocsd!ram
...!ihnp4!watmath!julian!uwocsd!ram

In article <1017@deepthot.UUCP> ram@deepthot.UUCP (M.V.S. Ramanath) writes:
>$! nulled, predecessor circle
>a.c: a

That's because "make" has a built-in rule for making "a" from "a.c".

sullivan@vsi.UUCP (Michael T Sullivan) (02/16/88)

Doesn't your make have default rules for making a.c and a.o from a.y (which
is what your file "a" _should_ be named)?  Our System V 3.1 does.

--
Michael Sullivan
{uunet | attmail}!vsi!sullivan