[net.cooks] Pesto Recipe Wanted

sompel@hplabsb.UUCP (05/22/85)

I'm looking for a good Pesto recipe.  I've noticed that some of the
restaurants in the area make a version that has cream added to it.

Mail responses to me,  and I'll post a summary.

Thanks,

Mark Sompel	 hplabsb!sompel

mmp@masscomp.UUCP (Michelle Peetz) (08/26/85)

Fill your food processor (regular size) with fresh basil leaves -- really
stuff them in!  Add 4 cloves of garlic, 4 tablespoons of grated parmesan,
4 tablespoons of pine nuts, and 1 1/4 cups of olive oil.  Process until
everything's chopped up.  Spoon it over your favorite kind of hot cooked
pasta (my italian friends who gave me the recipe like rigatoni since the
pesto kind of works its way inside).

You can refrigerate or freeze the pesto in jars, but make sure you put a
little olive oil on the top to keep the pesto from darkening.

Yummmmm.

					Michelle Peetz
					masscomp!mmp

bhayes@Glacier.ARPA (Barry Hayes) (08/27/85)

In article <780@masscomp.UUCP> mmp@masscomp.UUCP (Michelle Peetz) writes:
>You can refrigerate or freeze the pesto in jars, but make sure you put a
>little olive oil on the top to keep the pesto from darkening.

You can also fill plastic ice trays with pesto and then mush plastic
wrap on top of them, forcing out all the air.  Do this once when you
get a good deal on and of olive oil, make a few gallons of pesto and
freeze it all.  The trays let you get a tablespoon or two when you need
it without messing with jars.

>Yummmmm.

Yes.  And by the bye, another good use for pesto is to boost up soup
stock.  If you have some soup that's failing to have any flavor, try
stiring in about a cube of pesto for each quart.  Makes it a good
bit of ym.

Barry Hayes

"Don't bother me now, I'm eating."

anne@cray.UUCP (Anne Chenette) (09/04/85)

Believe it or not, this month's Weight Watchers magazine has a recipe
for "pesto".  I haven't tried it, as I can't convice myself that a
low-calorie version would be better than not eating pesto at all, but
maybe some brave soul out there will make it and let me know how it is.
If I did make it, I would add more oil, as one can have 3 teaspoons of
oil a day.

	Weight Watchers' Pesto

	1 cup loosly packed, fresh basil leaves
	2 garlic cloves
	2 tablespoons water
	1 teaspoon olive oil
	1/8 teaspoon crushed, dried thyme leaves

	In a food processor or blender, process all ingredients until
	smooth (add an additional tablespoon of water if mixture is too
	thick to process).  Divide into 8 equal portions, pack in small
	freezer bags, and freeze.  Use as directed in Tomato Soup with
	Pesto (recipe follows).  Makes 8 servings, about 1 1/2 teaspoons
	each.  Each serving provides (for those of us on Weight Watchers)
	5 optional calories.

	Weight Watchers' Tomato Soup with Pesto

	3 large tomatoes
	2 cups chicken broth
	2 tablespoons (about 1/2 recipe) frozen pesto
	salt and pepper to taste
	2 ounces grated parmesan cheese

	Run tomatoes under hot water and peel off skins.  Place in
	medium saucepan with chicken broth; bring to a boil over
	medium heat.  Cover and cook 15 minutes or until tomatoes
	are soft.  Remove and discard green tomato cores.  In food
	processor or blender, process soup in batches until smooth.
	Return to saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring
	occasionally.  Add pesto and stir until defrosted.  Season with
	salt and pepper.  Ladle soup equally into 4 bowls; garnish each
	with 1/4 of the cheese.  Makes 4 servings; each serving provides
	1/2 protein exchange, 1 1/2 vegetable exchanges, and 35 optional
	calories.

					Anne Chenette
					ihnp4!cray!anne

P.S.  If anyone's interested, I have a FANTASTIC recipe for Weight
Watchers' Avgolemono soup.  Pure heaven - even non-dieters will love it!