[comp.unix.questions] Does Avatar exist? Why don't they answer their phone?

mark@sickkids.UUCP (Mark Bartelt) (02/10/88)

A while back, Macintosh Today had a news item about a program named MDPIC,
which allegedly translates Mac PICT format files into "pic" files for troff
under UNIX.  The software was claimed to be a product of Avatar Corporation
in Pittsburgh.  Directory assistance does indeed have a number for them,
412/281-0314.  However, nobody seems to ever answer at that number.  During
the past month or so, I've tried calling that number various times of the
day, everything from early morning to late afternoon.  Nothing.  Even if I
let it ring twenty, thirty times.  Not even an answering machine.

Recently, directory assistance has started giving out a second number for
them (under a slightly different name, "Avatar Systems" instead of "Avatar
Corporation"), 412/422-9509, with the caveat that it's a new number and may
not be connected yet.  Calling that number results in a "this number has been
disconnected" recording.  Sigh.

So ...  Does anyone know whether this company is actually in business?  How
would one contact them, if they don't answer their phone?  Is anyone from
Avatar reading this?  If so, maybe you could phone me ...

				Mark Bartelt
				Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto
				416/598-6442
				UUCP: {utzoo,decvax,ihnp4}!sickkids!mark
				BITNET: mark@sickkids.utoronto

fryd@G.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Michael Fryd) (02/15/88)

Avatar does exist.  The problem is that there are a number of
companies in Pittsburgh that have "Avatar" in their name.

The Mac Printer Driver that produces Unix pic output
is from:
	Avatar Corp.
	5606 Northumberland
	Pittsburgh, PA  15217
	(412) 422-9509

-----------------------------------
Michael Fryd
Michael.Fryd@CS.CMU.EDU

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (02/18/88)

In article <870@PT.CS.CMU.EDU> fryd@G.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Michael Fryd) writes:
>Avatar does exist.  The problem is that there are a number of
>companies in Pittsburgh that have "Avatar" in their name.
>
>The Mac Printer Driver that produces Unix pic output
>is from:
>	Avatar Corp.
>	5606 Northumberland
>	Pittsburgh, PA  15217
>	(412) 422-9509

>Michael Fryd
>Michael.Fryd@CS.CMU.EDU

I must have missed the articles preceding this one... this sounds great!
Could you (or someone else) give more details?  Like what programs it does
and doesn't work with, how it handles fonts, etc.  Thanks very much.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."