[comp.unix.questions] news on a 3B1

lad@eplrx7.UUCP (Lawrence A. Dziegielewski) (02/17/88)

I am trying to install Bnews 2.11 on my ATT 3B1.  I was able to run the
localize.7300 script just fine.  However,  when the makefile tried to link
up readnews,  the file ftime.o was flagged as having and unreferenced
variable,  namely 'daylight'.

Has anyone ever run up against this before?

--
        Lawrence A. Dziegielewski       |       E.I. Dupont Co.
        uunet!eplrx7!lad                |       Engineering Physics Lab

ken@maxepr.UUCP (Ken Brassler) (02/19/88)

In article <576@eplrx7.UUCP> lad@eplrx7.UUCP (Lawrence A. Dziegielewski) writes:
>I am trying to install Bnews 2.11 on my ATT 3B1.
>....  However,  when the makefile tried to link
>up readnews,  the file ftime.o was flagged as having and unreferenced
>variable,  namely 'daylight'.
>
>Has anyone ever run up against this before?

Yes.

This is the fix that I used, but I can't find the original article
that suggested it. It seems to work.

Put a copy of the shlib.ifile in the ...news/src directory. Edit
this local copy and add the line:

daylight = 0x303658

Change the Makefile to reference this local copy of shlib.ifile, and
re-make.

Obviously, 0x303658 is supposed to be the address where the
"daylight" variable is stored. I have no first hand knowledge that
this is true - I just took the first person's word for it. I'm
running version 3.50 O/S, and my news has been operating with
this fix for over 2 years.
--

Ken Brassler {ihnp4|qantel|pyramid|lll-crg}!pacbell!maxepr!ken

djl@dplace.UUCP (Dave Lampe) (02/19/88)

In article <576@eplrx7.UUCP> lad@eplrx7.UUCP (Lawrence A. Dziegielewski) writes:
>I am trying to install Bnews 2.11 on my ATT 3B1.  I was able to run the
>localize.7300 script just fine.  However,  when the makefile tried to link
>up readnews,  the file ftime.o was flagged as having and unreferenced
>variable,  namely 'daylight'.

You must be linking using the shared library. The problem is that for
some reason 'daylight' was left out of /lib/shlib.ifile. You need to add
it as follows:

	FPA_s = _dbase + 0x3a;
	FPA_d = _dbase + 0x3e;
+
+	daylight = 0x00303658;
+
	_sibuf = 0x00306000;
	_sobuf = 0x00306408;

Someone posted this on the net but I didn't keep who it was.

Dave Lampe
{ihnp4 | ames | lll-tis}!ptsfa!pacbell!dplace!djl
(415) 455-1571