[net.cooks] Devonshire Tea

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (08/19/85)

Anybody got a good easy recipe for scones that can be made with ingredients
that can be found in the USofA? I've tried to import a couple of recipes from
Aus, but have had little luck. C'mon, someone help a fellow imperial!
--
	Peter da Silva (the mad Australian werewolf)
		UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (08/21/85)

In article <462@baylor.UUCP> peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Anybody got a good easy recipe for scones that can be made with ingredients
>that can be found in the USofA? I've tried to import a couple of recipes from
>Aus, but have had little luck. C'mon, someone help a fellow imperial!

The following is my favorite.  It was devised by Randi Danforth, and appeared
in the Boston Globe Magazine dated Sunday, January 24, 1982.

	W H O L E   W H E A T   B U T T E R M I L K   S C O N E S

About 20 scones

1 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups flour (all-purpose or self-rising)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup raisins  [I use currants]
1 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons sugar
4 ounces melted butter or margarine

Sift together the flours, baking powder, and baking soda.  Add the raisins.
Combine the buttermilk, eggs, and sugar.  Add about two-thirds of the dry
ingredients to the buttermilk mixture and stir well.  Add the melted butter
and the remaining flour.  Knead the dough until smooth, roll it out 1/2
inch thick on a lightly floured board, and cut it with a fluted biscuit
cutter 2-1/4 inches in diameter.  [I usually just cut it into wedges.]  Bake
scones on a lightly greased baking sheet for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.

Split and serve with butter and jam or honey.  They are best served warm.

AWR

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (09/04/85)

> In article <462@baylor.UUCP> peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >Anybody got a good easy recipe for scones that can be made with ingredients
> >that can be found in the USofA? I've tried to import a couple of recipes from
> >Aus, but have had little luck. C'mon, someone help a fellow imperial!
>
> The following is my favorite.  It was devised by Randi Danforth, and appeared
> in the Boston Globe Magazine dated Sunday, January 24, 1982.
>
> 	W H O L E   W H E A T   B U T T E R M I L K   S C O N E S
>
> About 20 scones
>
> 1 cup whole wheat flour
> 2 cups flour (all-purpose or self-rising)

... rest of recipe omitted ...

My mother makes great scones by following a recipe similar to this.
(She is from England... I will try to get the full recipe)
One thing she did insist on was using UNBLEACHED flour.  I've had
them both ways and there is a very noticable difference.  Try using
the unbleached flour and see what you think.  It is all I will use now.

--

E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything. (Including but
not limited to: typos, spelling, diction, logic, and nuclear war)

pag00@amdahl.UUCP (Pria Graves) (09/04/85)

> > In article <462@baylor.UUCP> peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
> > >Anybody got a good easy recipe for scones that can be made with ingredients
> > >that can be found in the USofA? I've tried to import a couple of recipes from
> > >Aus, but have had little luck. C'mon, someone help a fellow imperial!
> >
> > The following is my favorite.  It was devised by Randi Danforth, and appeared
> > in the Boston Globe Magazine dated Sunday, January 24, 1982.
> >
> > 	W H O L E   W H E A T   B U T T E R M I L K   S C O N E S
> >
> > About 20 scones
> >
> > 1 cup whole wheat flour
> > 2 cups flour (all-purpose or self-rising)
>
> ... rest of recipe omitted ...
>
> My mother makes great scones by following a recipe similar to this.
> (She is from England... I will try to get the full recipe)
> One thing she did insist on was using UNBLEACHED flour.  I've had
> them both ways and there is a very noticable difference.  Try using
> the unbleached flour and see what you think.  It is all I will use now.
>
> --
>
> E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems
>
> This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything. (Including but
> not limited to: typos, spelling, diction, logic, and nuclear war)

I use a similar recipe also and I've found that whole wheat pastry
flour gives a lighter, more tender scone than bread flour. So, unless
you're a fan of brick-like scones.....

Pria Graves       ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!pag00

--
Pria            ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,amd,nsc}!amdahl!pag00
                (408) 746 7539