[net.cooks] Zucchini With Ginger

nlm@sfmag.UUCP (Nancy Mintz) (09/02/85)

Tried this recipe for the first time today and really liked it.  The only
change I'd make is to shorten somewhat the cooking time - the zucchini
weren't as crisp as I like.

	Nancy Mintz	...ihnp4!attunix!nlm

			Zucchini Shreds With Ginger
			(from Travel & Leisure April 1985)

This vegetable preparation, rich with the aroma of ginger, is good enough to
be served as a first course, hot, cold or at room temperature.  For the best
results, use only the small tender zucchini, which are practically seedless.
This dish can also be made with cucumbers, carrots, or cabbage.

Serves 4 to 6.

Ingredients:
	2 Tbsp light vegetable oil
	1 tsp cumin seeds
	1 Tbsp shredded fresh ginger
	1 Tbsp shredded hot green chili peppers
	1 lb zucchini, julienned (about 3" long and 1/8" thick)
	1 medium ripe tomato, peeled, seeded and shredded
	1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
	salt to taste
	1 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander

Heat the oil in a large frying pan over high heat for 3 minutes.  Add the
cumin, let the oil turn a few shades darker (about 10 seconds) and add ginger
and chili.  Cook for 30 seconds, then add the zucchini and stir-fry for 8
minutes.

Add tomato during the last 2-3 minutes of cooking.  Turn off the heat.
Sprinkle lemon juice and salt to taste, mix, transfer to a serving plate
and garnish with coriander.

nm34@sdcc12.UUCP (nm34) (09/04/85)

In article <668@sfmag.UUCP>, nlm@sfmag.UUCP (Nancy Mintz) writes:

> 			Zucchini Shreds With Ginger
> 			(from Travel & Leisure April 1985)
>

> Ingredients:
> 	2 Tbsp light vegetable oil
> 	1 tsp cumin seeds
> 	1 Tbsp shredded fresh ginger
> 	1 Tbsp shredded hot green chili peppers
> 	1 lb zucchini, julienned (about 3" long and 1/8" thick)
> 	1 medium ripe tomato, peeled, seeded and shredded
> 	1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
> 	salt to taste
> 	1 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander
>
> Heat the oil in a large frying pan over high heat for 3 minutes.  Add the
> cumin, let the oil turn a few shades darker (about 10 seconds) and add ginger
> and chili.  Cook for 30 seconds, then add the zucchini and stir-fry for 8
> minutes.
>
> Add tomato during the last 2-3 minutes of cooking.  Turn off the heat.
> Sprinkle lemon juice and salt to taste, mix, transfer to a serving plate
> and garnish with coriander.

     We do something very similar.  We omit the ginger and melt cheese
on to.  Adds protein ( and fat ) so it is more acceptable as a main
course.  Now I have to try it with ginger too.

                     Andrew Bindman

          {ucbvax,ihnp4,akgua,hplabs}!sdcsvax!sdcc12!nm34