[comp.unix.questions] Can any kind soul tell me how to get vn working?

schung@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Stephen the Greatest) (02/12/88)

Hi,

	I just compiled the version of vn I got from comp.sources.unix
	Every time I runs it, it says, "No news".  Seems that it is not
	connecting to the server or something...  Anything I did wrong?

					- Stephen

ngorelic@csm9a.UUCP (Bamf) (02/16/88)

In article <701@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu>, schung@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Stephen the Greatest) writes:
> Hi,
>
> 	I just compiled the version of vn I got from comp.sources.unix
> 	Every time I runs it, it says, "No news".  Seems that it is not
> 	connecting to the server or something...  Anything I did wrong?
>
> 					- Stephen

   Do you have an accessable .newsrc file?
    (just a thought, I couldn't get mine working at all.)

"A damsel saved is a damsel earned  |   ngorelic@csm9a
                    -- Lancelot     |   ...cu-den!udenva!isis!csm9a!ngorelic

arnie@step.dwr.com (Arnie Listhaus) (02/17/88)

From article <701@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu>, by schung@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Stephen the Greatest):
> Hi,
>
> 	I just compiled the version of vn I got from comp.sources.unix
> 	Every time I runs it, it says, "No news".  Seems that it is not
> 	connecting to the server or something...  Anything I did wrong?
>
> 					- Stephen

I am not sure why, but if you have an 'options' line at the top
of your .newsrc file, vn will report "No News".  If you remove
it vn will work just fine.

Arnold Listhaus
Dean Witter Reynolds Inc., NY
philabs!step!arnie

kirk@braille.UWO.CDN (kirk reiser) (02/17/88)

In article <623@csm9a.UUCP> ngorelic@csm9a.UUCP (Bamf) writes:
>In article <701@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu>, schung@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Stephen the Greatest) writes:
>> Hi,
>>
>> 	I just compiled the version of vn I got from comp.sources.unix
>> 	Every time I runs it, it says, "No news".  Seems that it is not
>> 	connecting to the server or something...  Anything I did wrong?
>>
>> 					- Stephen
>   Do you have an accessable .newsrc file?
>    (just a thought, I couldn't get mine working at all.)

Not only did I need a .newsrc file but an options line was also necessary
I used "options -n all" but I suspect it could be any groups of interest.
If you are also compiling inews there must be an active, log, and history
files in the news spool directory.  Well the news library directory anyway!
It can be pretty confusing.

  Kirk

	Kirk Reiser			The Computer Braille Facility
phone:	519-661-3061			University of Western Ontario
email:	kirk@braille.uwo.cdn		rm-H045 Health Sciences Addition
bitnet:	kirk@braille.uwocc1.bitnet	London, Ont. N6A 5C1

perseus@nvuxk.UUCP (A D Domaratius) (02/18/88)

I missed the posting of vn when it was on the net.   Would someone
please post the program again.  I know it is lengthly but I would
appreaciate it.  By the way, is it in GNU UNIX(TM).  My computor is
on System V release 2.  If the vn is intended for GNU then it won't
work here I suspect.  Can it be modified? If so, how.

Thank you,

Al Domaratius

rroot@edm.UUCP (uucp) (02/18/88)

From article <623@csm9a.UUCP>, by ngorelic@csm9a.UUCP (Bamf):
> In article <701@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu>, schung@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Stephen the Greatest) writes:
>> Hi,
>>
>> 	I just compiled the version of vn I got from comp.sources.unix
>> 	Every time I runs it, it says, "No news".  Seems that it is not
>> 	connecting to the server or something...  Anything I did wrong?
>>
>> 					- Stephen
The problem is in the way that vn reads the .newsrc file (and the command
options). vn -n comp.sources will ONLY read the newsgroup comp.sources and NOT
comp.sources.{d,unix,etc...} . You will have to change your .newsrc file from
something like
options -n comp news local general
  to:
options -n comp.all news.all local.all general
You will have to do the same thing when you give newsgroup pars to the
vn program.
  READ THE MANUAL PAGE for more information... (I was as confused as hell,
until I did so...).
--
-------------
 Stephen Samuel

bcs212@vader.UUCP (Vince Skahan) (02/19/88)

In article <701@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu>, schung@cory.Berkeley.EDU
 (Stephen the Greatest) writes:
> Hi,
>
> 	I just compiled the version of vn I got from comp.sources.unix
> 	Every time I runs it, it says, "No news".  Seems that it is not
> 	connecting to the server or something...  Anything I did wrong?
>
> 					- Stephen

	try vn -n <newsgroup> or edit defs.h to include all the
	major groups as the default subscription list
--
     Vince Skahan            Boeing Computer Services - Phila.
    (215) 591-4116           INTERNET:  bcs212%psev@boeing.com

det@hawkmoon.UUCP (Derek E. Terveer) (02/21/88)

In article <623@csm9a.UUCP>, ngorelic@csm9a.UUCP (Bamf) writes:
> In article <701@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu>, schung@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Stephen the Greatest) writes:
> > Hi,
> >
> > 	I just compiled the version of vn I got from comp.sources.unix
> > 	Every time I runs it, it says, "No news".  Seems that it is not
> > 	connecting to the server or something...  Anything I did wrong?
> > 					- Stephen

That would be the message one would get on an empty system (i.e., one you just
compiled News for) and either had no .newsrc file, or a .newsrc file without
the line:
		options -n all
in it.  What I do is simply:

$ echo options -n all >.newsrc

before the first time i invoke news.

hope this helps.

tbm@anuck.UUCP (t.b.merrick) (02/22/88)

Just to put some fears at rest.  I compiled vn with no trouble at all.
There are several edits you must perform and  you have to know where
things are on your machine, but I'm just an old EE hacker and if I
can make it, then most of you can.

After all that I am not (yet) using it.  It does beat on the filesystem
for quite a while and then at low (1200) baud rates you may not want to
have it refresh the screen between articles.

Maybe if I read the manual again ... ...

Tom Merrick ATT BTL  Andover, MA

dean@devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Dean Okamura) (02/25/88)

<474@anuck.UUCP> says that vn "beats on the filesystem."

I loaded and tried to use vn but I got tired of waiting for it to check
the newsgroups.  I expected it to be done within an hour.  Maybe I
expected too much.

terry@wsccs.UUCP (terry) (02/26/88)

In article <701@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu>, schung@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Stephen the Greatest) writes:
> Hi,
>
> 	I just compiled the version of vn I got from comp.sources.unix
> 	Every time I runs it, it says, "No news".  Seems that it is not
> 	connecting to the server or something...  Anything I did wrong?
>
> 					- Stephen

	Try 'vn -n all'.
	Then it should run.

| Terry Lambert           UUCP: ...!decvax!utah-cs!century!terry              |
| @ Century Software       or : ...utah-cs!uplherc!sp7040!obie!wsccs!terry    |
| SLC, Utah                                                                   |
|                   These opinions are not my companies, but if you find them |
|                   useful, send a $20.00 donation to Brisbane Australia...   |
| 'There are monkey boys in the facility.  Do not be alarmed; you are secure' |