[comp.unix.questions] Honeydanber on Microport

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (02/07/88)

    I am running Honeydanber UUCP on Microport 2.3U. I recently
installed it in preparation of installing a Telebit Trailblazer modem.
I was depressed to find after attempting to install the modem that the
version of HDB that they provide does not recognize the Dialers file.
This makes installing the modem a pain. One must hack the expect/send
sequences in Systems to config the modem for each call. I've waded
through this and have the modem working fine. But this "feature" of
this version of HDB makes changes and system additions needlessly
complex. With the Dialers file, its much simpler.

    Does anyone know of a newer version of HDB for Microport thats
updated to utilize Dialers ???

					John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: wa3wbu!john@uunet.UU.NET

lyndon@tycho.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) (02/09/88)

It seems to me that HDB still uses /usr/lib/uucp/Dialers. All you
should have to do is create an entry in dialers for the telebit
(see dialers(5) in the programmers manual). Note that you would need
to do this anyway if you want cu(1) to be able to dial the modem.

Does anyone know why Microport doesn't provide the 'HDB' version of
cu, or if there's a difference?

--lyndon   {alberta,utzoo}!ncc!lyndon

In article <10060@tycho.UUCP>, lyndon@tycho.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:

> It seems to me that HDB still uses /usr/lib/uucp/Dialers. All you
				                   ^^^^^^^
> should have to do is create an entry in dialers for the telebit
> (see dialers(5) in the programmers manual). Note that you would need
> to do this anyway if you want cu(1) to be able to dial the modem.
>
> Does anyone know why Microport doesn't provide the 'HDB' version of
> cu, or if there's a difference?
>
> --lyndon   {alberta,utzoo}!ncc!lyndon

Naturally, I meant to say '/usr/lib/uucp/dialinfo' is used by HDB...

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (02/11/88)

In article <10060@tycho.UUCP>, lyndon@tycho.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:

> It seems to me that HDB still uses /usr/lib/uucp/Dialers. All you
> should have to do is create an entry in dialers for the telebit

   The problem is that Microport's release of HDB does *not* support
the Dialers file. You can set one up but it will not use it. I got a
big suprize when I hooked up my Telebit, edited the Dialers file and
tried it!  This has been more or less confirmed from Microport. They
are considering porting the 386 version of HDB (which works) to the
286. Other than the Dialers file, Microports HDB works fairly well.
Yes, your right, CU doesn't use the new files. To make matters worse,
with the Telebit, CU wont autodial at all. This isn't too bad, the
Telebit has 10-number directories and this works fine. The darn thing
is saving me so much money I cant complain. :-)

					John

.

--

sullivan@vsi.UUCP (Michael T Sullivan) (02/12/88)

In article <10060@tycho.UUCP>, lyndon@tycho.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
> Does anyone know why Microport doesn't provide the 'HDB' version of
> cu, or if there's a difference?

The difference is that the HDB version should know how to work with uugetty.
Don't know why they don't, though.  All I can get out of them is "It's
public domain software and we don't support it."

Michael Sullivan
{ucbvax | ihnp4 | sun}!amdcad!uport!vsi!sullivan
{uunet | attmail}!vsi!sullivan

rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) (02/12/88)

In article <10061@tycho.UUCP> lyndon@tycho.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
>In article <10060@tycho.UUCP>, lyndon@tycho.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
>>
>> It seems to me that HDB still uses /usr/lib/uucp/Dialers. All you
>				                   ^^^^^^^
>> should have to do is create an entry in dialers for the telebit
>> (see dialers(5) in the programmers manual). Note that you would need
>> to do this anyway if you want cu(1) to be able to dial the modem.
>>
>> Does anyone know why Microport doesn't provide the 'HDB' version of
>> cu, or if there's a difference?
>>
>> --lyndon   {alberta,utzoo}!ncc!lyndon
>
>Naturally, I meant to say '/usr/lib/uucp/dialinfo' is used by HDB...

If they're not using 'Dialers' to provide the per-modem chat scripts,
then they're are NOT running standard HDB.  Standard lookup sequence
is Systems -> Devices -> Dialers & Dialcodes.  If this isn't what
they're doing, they've been hacking it for some reason.

Yes, 'cu' IS different for HDB, since it needs to use the same lookup
procedure as uucp/uucico to determine how to reach a particular system
or address a particular modem to dial out.

						Bob Halloran
						Distributed Programming
						  Tools Group
Bang-ist: {ATT-ACC, rutgers}!mtune!rkh		DDD: (201)957-6034
At-ist:   rkh@mtune.ATT.COM
USPS: AT&T IS Labs, 200 Laurel Ave Rm 3G-314 Middletown NJ 07748
Disclaimer: If you believe I'm speaking for anyone but myself,
		you're sadly mistaken.
Quote: "Good morning, the Russians still beating the pants off us in space?"
		-- Opus to Oliver, "Bloom County"

rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (964[jak]-Robert Halloran) (02/16/88)

In article <10@vsi.UUCP> sullivan@vsi.UUCP (Michael T Sullivan) writes:
>In article <10060@tycho.UUCP>, lyndon@tycho.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
>> Does anyone know why Microport doesn't provide the 'HDB' version of
>> cu, or if there's a difference?
>
>The difference is that the HDB version should know how to work with uugetty.
>Don't know why they don't, though.  All I can get out of them is "It's
>public domain software and we don't support it."

HDB is ANYTHING but public domain; it is an AT&T product, buying source
from the AT&T Toolchest costs about $2000. last time I looked, binary
redistribution rights cost an additional $20K, and it is the ONLY
version of uucp provided under V.3.  If you're running the '386 version,
supposedly SVr3, Microport would have received standard HDB as part of
their distribution tape.  If you're running the '286 version, it would
have cost them as above to make it available under that SVr2 port, since
the only V.2 it is standard for is the version for the AT&T 3B series.

More obfuscation, from the sound of it.

terry@wsccs.UUCP (terry) (02/27/88)

In article <10@vsi.UUCP>, sullivan@vsi.UUCP (Michael T Sullivan) writes:
> In article <10060@tycho.UUCP>, lyndon@tycho.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
> > Does anyone know why Microport doesn't provide the 'HDB' version of
> > cu, or if there's a difference?
>
> The difference is that the HDB version should know how to work with uugetty.
> Don't know why they don't, though.  All I can get out of them is "It's
> public domain software and we don't support it."

Microport doesn't need uugetty to do what HDB is needed for... callin/callout
on the same physical port.  See SIO(7) of your system manual for details.

| Terry Lambert           UUCP: ...!decvax!utah-cs!century!terry              |
| @ Century Software       or : ...utah-cs!uplherc!sp7040!obie!wsccs!terry    |
| SLC, Utah                                                                   |
|                   These opinions are not my companies, but if you find them |
|                   useful, send a $20.00 donation to Brisbane Australia...   |
| 'There are monkey boys in the facility.  Do not be alarmed; you are secure' |