[comp.unix.questions] sys v fifo + stat

wombat@ccvaxa.UUCP (03/01/88)

I have a question about System V fifos and stat. The current SVID (at
least the copy here) is missing the page for stat(BA_OS), so I'm not
sure whether calling stat on a fifo that exists on the filesystem but
has no readers and no writers should hang or not. My ancient SV manual
doesn't say anything about it nor does an older version of the SVID.
Does anyone know for sure?

  "I think you should kill him and eat his brain," Mr. Frostee said quickly.
  "That's not the answer to *every* problem in interpersonal relations,"
Cobb said.				*Software*, Rudy Rucker
	Wombat	ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!wombat, wombat@claudius.Gould.COM,
		wombat@gswd-vms.ARPA

In article <29500022@ccvaxa> wombat@ccvaxa.UUCP writes:
>I'm not sure whether calling stat on a fifo that exists on the filesystem but
>has no readers and no writers should hang or not.

Why should stat(2) "hang"?  It just returns info about the inode,
not the contents of the data.