[comp.unix.questions] Wanted: Remote Virtual Disk software

bkc@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Brad Clements) (02/25/88)

I am looking public domain source code for both IBM PC's and BSD
unix machines that would allow the PC to mount disks on the unix machine over
an ethernet.

I know all about PC-NSF, that is much more than I need.

I want to allow many PC's to share READ-ONLY fixed or variable length
virtual disks. The server will be some BSD based machine. These
'disks' can be fixed length files on the unix machine, the disks will
be read only by PC's only.

There was a program call RVD, developed at MIT, that does exactly
what I want.

Can anyone direct me to the source for RVD or other public domain
software (incomplete or messy code is ok).  I need to be able to support
various ethernet cards.

I don't need anything polished because I will probably have to alter it
for our site anyway.

Thanks
Brad Clements
bkc@omnigate.clarkson.edu

treese@athena.mit.edu (Win Treese) (03/02/88)

In article <459@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> bkc@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Brad Clements) writes:

>There was a program call RVD, developed at MIT, that does exactly
>what I want.
>
>Can anyone direct me to the source for RVD or other public domain
>software (incomplete or messy code is ok).  I need to be able to support
>various ethernet cards.
>
>I don't need anything polished because I will probably have to alter it
>for our site anyway.
>
>Thanks
>Brad Clements
>bkc@omnigate.clarkson.edu

Glad to hear you're interested in it.  The RVD software is not quite in
shape for distribution right now, though that can possibly be arranged.
The PC RVD client runs on top of MIT's PC/IP software, which supports
a few different PC Ethernet boards, though perhaps not all the ones you
want.

Please contact me for more information about it.

	Win Treese
	Systems Engineer
	MIT Project Athena

Internet:	treese@athena.MIT.EDU
UUCP:		...!{backbones}!mit-eddie!athena.mit.edu!treese
US-Mail:	E40-342B, 1 Amherst St., Cambridge, MA 02139
Phone:		(617) 253-0172

#include <disclaimer.h>

"I am not a number!  I am a free man!"