[comp.unix.questions] 7300 to 3b2

bobc@killer.UUCP (Bob Calbridge) (02/27/88)

We have seven 7300's attached to a 3B2 via standard serial lines.  Normal
communication is done through the "cu" command.  However, since these
7300's are used by students, we are trying to devise a way do some file
exchanging without having the students become too involved in the workings
of unix.  We tried using "uucp" and at first the problem was an improper
system name in the PC's L.sys file.  Having taken care of that we tried
again.  This time we received no error message but the file didn't show
up in the 3B2.  The question is if there is a way to track where the
file went, if anywhere.  We need some help.  Please point us in the
right direction.
Thanks in advance.
Best,
Bob

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (03/01/88)

In article <3504@killer.UUCP> bobc@killer.UUCP (Bob Calbridge) writes:
|We have seven 7300's attached to a 3B2 via standard serial lines.  Normal
|communication is done through the "cu" command.  However, since these
|7300's are used by students, we are trying to devise a way do some file
|exchanging without having the students become too involved in the workings
|of unix.  We tried using "uucp" and at first the problem was an improper
|system name in the PC's L.sys file.  Having taken care of that we tried
|again.  This time we received no error message but the file didn't show
|up in the 3B2.  The question is if there is a way to track where the
|file went, if anywhere.  We need some help.  Please point us in the
|right direction.

Bob,

send to the 3B2, where
	<filename> is the file on the 7300,
	<sysname> id the 3B2's name,
and	<login> is the user's login.

Then have the user type
	"tail -f /usr/spool/uucp/LOGFILE"
and watch the progress of the call and xfr.  Next, the user should logon
to the 3B2, and use "uupick" to retrieve his files from the public
directory.

3B2-->7300 requires issuing a uucp command from the 7300.

Watchout for file and directory permisssions!  The file to be xfrd must
be r for all, and the directory that it resides in must be rx for all.

--
Peter Holsberg                  UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division             CompuServe: 70240,334

naomi@gtx.com (Naomi Walker) (03/04/88)

>up in the 3B2.  The question is if there is a way to track where the
>file went, if anywhere.  We need some help.  Please point us in the

Sure. Theres a few ways to track your file. First, when you run uucico,
use the -x9 flag (uucico -r1 -x9 -ssystemname), and you will get debug
messages on how the communications are working. You can also tail the
LOGFILE (usually in /usr/spool/uucp). For each file to be transferred,
there will be a C.*, a D.* (the data file itself), and a X.* (the routing
information. You should get enough clues from these files to catch what
is happening.

You can call me if you really get stuck. I'm very sympathetic to these
sorts of problems.

Naomi Walker (N7FSA) -  GTX Corporation -  UUCP: ihnp4!sun!sunburn!gtx!naomi |
(602)-870-1696          Curiosity is almost the definition of frivolity      |