[comp.unix.questions] news 2.11, sys, keeping groups out

stanonik@nprdc.arpa (Ron Stanonik) (03/05/88)

We recently installed news 2.11 and obtained a usenet feed.
We've now been asked to keep out some newsgroups.  From the
documentation it appears that adding !rec.wombats to our entry
in the sys file should do it, and indeed the log file records
"Newsgroups in active, but not sys"; however, the article is
then added to the junk newsgroup.  Well, that's sort of like
keeping it out, but not what we expected (or wanted).  Looking
at the code (inews.c), it appears that if the newsgroup isn't
in active then it's localized to junk, and if it's in active
but not sys then it's still localized to junk.  Am I missing
something, or can we really not keep newsgroups out from our
end of the feed?

Thanks,

Ron Stanonik
stanonik@nprdc.arpa