[comp.unix.questions] Packet size & number of windows in UUCP

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (01/24/88)

In article <567@acornrc.UUCP> bob@acornrc.UUCP (Bob Weissman) writes:
>Can someone tell me the effect of tweaking the "packet size" and
>"number of windows" parameters in UUCP?

Sure. You'll break it. :-)

>E.g., are there settings which are appropriate for different transmission
>speeds?  Will responding hosts understand different (presumably larger)
>packet sizes?  What's a "window" anyway?

The uucico 'g' protocol is characterized as "packetized, sequenced, windowed"
meaning that:

- The data to be transferred is fragmented into packets;
- Each packet has a sequence number and the packets must arrive in sequence;
- A number of packets can be sent back-to-back without acknowledgement. The
  space into which these packets fit is called the "window," and the maximum
  number of unacknowledged packets is called the "window size." The advantage
  is parallelism: new packets can still be arriving while old acks are being
  calculated and sent.

In uucico pk.h, the usual window size is 3, and the packet size is 64.

You *can* increase the window size up to 7, and the two sites will negotiate
the actual window size (based on who has the highest maximum). This has very
little effect when using normal modems; it is a big win when the 'g' protocol
is used on dialup public data networks (for example, PC Pursuit). It also
helps with packetized modems, including MNP modems.

You *cannot* increase the packet size beyond its current limit of 64. Although
the protocol supports packets up to 4096, no UUCP version in use to date has
buffers to handle anything bigger than 64. So if you increase the packet size
and buffer sizes on your end, you will core dump the uucico on the other end.

<csg>

paul@vixie.UUCP (Paul Vixie Esq) (01/25/88)

In article <13668@pyramid.pyramid.com> csg@pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst)
		  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^					writes:

You like to publicize that name, huh?  :-) :-)

>You *cannot* increase the packet size beyond its current limit of 64. Although
>the protocol supports packets up to 4096, no UUCP version in use to date has
>buffers to handle anything bigger than 64. So if you increase the packet size
>and buffer sizes on your end, you will core dump the uucico on the other end.

What if both sides have increased their buffer & packet sizes?  And why don't
the two cico's negotiate packet size in addition to window size -- i.e., use
the largest size that both sides can support?  Are we ready for 'h' protocol
(or whatever letter we're up to?) :-)

(Just discovered ca.unix today...)
--
Paul A Vixie Esq
paul%vixie@uunet.uu.net

rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) (01/25/88)

There is a bug in every uucico that I have ever seen that is derived
from ATT code (i.e. damned near everyone) where the protocol will
netgotiate a packet bigger than it can handle. It will then
happily bus error.

I have not figured out a way to negotiate the packet size that
is backwards compatible with all those broken 'g' protocol drivers.

So, yes, to negotiate the packet size you would have to do
a new protocol. If you're going to do that, you might as
well implement something like the zmodem protocol. (Its been
on my todo list for over 2 years)

--rick

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (01/25/88)

>>You *cannot* increase the packet size beyond its current limit of 64.
>
>What if both sides have increased their buffer & packet sizes?

It works just fine. Or, at least it does using 4.3BSD.

>And why don't the two cico's negotiate packet size in addition to window size?

They try to. But the packet negotiation code is broken, and fixing it renders
you incompatible with standard 'g'. We just lucked out that window size nego-
tiation works.

>Are we ready for 'h' protocol (or whatever letter we're up to?) :-)

Rick Adams did a protocol called 'G' that fixed the 'g' bugs. We were consid-
ering it as a way to improve throughput on the Telebit TrailBlazer, but Peter
Honeyman's 'g' in the modem made this unnecessary. I'm now looking at the Z-
modem streaming protocol, since it is a win on X.25 as well as on packetized
modems.  Even the new & improved 'G' is excessively expensive over X.25 PDNs.

>In article <13668@pyramid.pyramid.com>
>		   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>You like to publicize that name, huh?  :-) :-)

Well, it certainly makes more sense than dec.pyramid.com, or hp.pyramid.com,
or cci.pyramid.com, or gould.pyramid.com, or.... :-) :-)

<csg>

egisin@orchid.waterloo.edu (Eric Gisin) (01/27/88)

In article <44231@beno.seismo.CSS.GOV>, rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) writes:
> So, yes, to negotiate the packet size you would have to do
> a new protocol. If you're going to do that, you might as
> well implement something like the zmodem protocol. (Its been
> on my todo list for over 2 years)

What's the advantage of the zmodem protocol?
I have Chesson's paper on uucp but am not familiar with zmodem.

alen@cogen.UUCP (Alen Shapiro) (01/30/88)

In article <12263@orchid.waterloo.edu> egisin@orchid.waterloo.edu (Eric Gisin) writes:
>In article <44231@beno.seismo.CSS.GOV>, rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) writes:
>> So, yes, to negotiate the packet size you would have to do
>> a new protocol. If you're going to do that, you might as
>> well implement something like the zmodem protocol. (Its been
>> on my todo list for over 2 years)
>
>What's the advantage of the zmodem protocol?
>I have Chesson's paper on uucp but am not familiar with zmodem.

Sorry to jump into the middle of this (our net access has been out of
sorts for a bit) so I hope this is relevant.

ukc (University of Kent U.K.) have had a version of uucp (I believe it
is a p.d. version) that one can specify both packet-size and # of windows
in the L.sys file. By tuning these fields I've been able to get our
2400baud tx light to remain on pretty steadily (with a regular rx ack
flash that sometimes skips a beat but so what cos when the window param
is set correctly, tx remains on).

I made a small mod to the L.sys language that allows for a timeout
time specification so now it even queues connects over gandalf-like
concentrators that are fairly busy (it sits in the queue like a user
when no connect lines are free).

If anyone would like details, mail me direct and I'll see a) if ukc
have a more up-to-date version (mine is a coupla years old) and b)
if ukc would mind me sending copies.

It's the best thing since sliced chips

--alen the Lisa slayer (it's a long story)

ps anyone at ukc wanna comment?

.....seismo!esosun!cogen!alen

lmjm@doc.ic.ac.uk (Lee McLoughlin) (01/31/88)

The version I support over here (UKUUCP) has the capability to change
the packet & window size when talking to itself at the remote end.  It
does this by sending across some more options in the pre-protocol messages.
It doesn't negotiate.  We've found that by playing with the numbers (they
can be set in the L.sys file) you can dramatically improve thru' put over
the X.25 networks used heavily in the UK.

	Lee.

neil@ist.CO.UK (Neil Todd) (02/05/88)

In article <398@cogen.UUCP>, alen@cogen.UUCP (Alen Shapiro) writes:
.
.
> ukc (University of Kent U.K.) have had a version of uucp (I believe it
> is a p.d. version) that one can specify both packet-size and # of windows
> in the L.sys file. By tuning these fields I've been able to get our
> 2400baud tx light to remain on pretty steadily (with a regular rx ack
> flash that sometimes skips a beat but so what cos when the window param
> is set correctly, tx remains on).
.
.
> if ukc would mind me sending copies.
>
> It's the best thing since sliced chips
>
> --alen the Lisa slayer (it's a long story)
>
> ps anyone at ukc wanna comment?

OK, not a UKC comment but:- UKUUCP is not written by UKC, is derives
for HB (I believe), much of the dirty work was done by
Lee McLoughlin <lmjm@doc.ic.ac.uk> currently at Imperial College
in London. The majority of sites in the UK use it. Zillions of bug
fixes, plus improved structure of L.sys file, additional protocols
(currently g,f and t I think), runs nicely over X25 lines.

New release is currently on the cards, as for getting it that is
possibly a problem is it is NOT PD.

Neil

[neil@ist.co.uk		<- preferred
[neil@ist.uucp
[{backbone}!ist.co.uk!neil

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (02/18/88)

In article <157@istop.ist.CO.UK> neil@ist.CO.UK (Neil Todd) writes:
 >OK, not a UKC comment but:- UKUUCP is not written by UKC, is derives
 >for HB (I believe), much of the dirty work was done by
 >Lee McLoughlin <lmjm@doc.ic.ac.uk> currently at Imperial College
 >in London. The majority of sites in the UK use it. Zillions of bug
 >fixes, plus improved structure of L.sys file, additional protocols
 >(currently g,f and t I think), runs nicely over X25 lines.
 >
 >New release is currently on the cards, as for getting it that is
 >possibly a problem is it is NOT PD.

If getting it is a problem, and it is not PD, how come the majority of sites
in UK use it? Are the majority of sites in UK source licenced? If not, how
do they get it?

A definitive  and authoritative comment from UKC would still be welcome!
--
Wolf N. Paul                  Phone: (214) 306-9101 (h)   (214) 404-8077 (w)
3387 Sam Rayburn Run          UUCP: ihnp4!killer!{dcs, doulos}!wnp

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (02/23/88)

>In article <398@cogen.UUCP>, alen@cogen.UUCP (Alen Shapiro) writes:
> ukc (University of Kent U.K.) have had a version of uucp (I believe it
> is a p.d. version) that one can specify both packet-size and # of windows
> in the L.sys file.

The "packet and window size" in UKUUCP refers to the X.25 packet and window
size, negotiated all call request time by the two X.25 DTEs. It is entirely
different from the uucico 'g' protocol window and packet size. In fact, when
to X.25 sites connect, they aren't using 'g' protocol at all; they use 'f'.

A pity they had to add another field to L.sys to do this. I rather like the
way we do it here, with subfields in the fifth field:

	pyramid Any PAD 9600 311040800000,W7,P256 ogin:--ogin:

which allows any X.25 facilities to be specified, not just packet and window
size. And to get the variable bit protocols, I'd rather follow in the steps on
HDB by using the protocol subfield after the caller, e.g., "ACU,6".

But alas, our UUCP won't talk to ukc. I'm going to find out why, someday....

In article <157@istop.ist.CO.UK> neil@ist.CO.UK (Neil Todd) writes:
>UKUUCP is not written by UKC, it derives for HB (I believe)....

No, it is based on 4.2BSD UUCP. And of course the base code is proprietary to
AT&T. However, if you can prove you have a source license, you can get it for
free. So you might say that UKC's modifications are PD. And any site that has
a source license can compile it for a neighboring site that has only a binary
license, and give them the binary.

<csg>

neil@ist.CO.UK (Neil Todd) (02/23/88)

From article <19@dcs.UUCP>, by wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul):
> In article <157@istop.ist.CO.UK> neil@ist.CO.UK (Neil Todd) writes:
.
.
>  >New release is currently on the cards, as for getting it that is
>  >possibly a problem is it is NOT PD.
>
> If getting it is a problem, and it is not PD, how come the majority of sites
> in UK use it? Are the majority of sites in UK source licenced? If not, how
> do they get it?
>
> A definitive  and authoritative comment from UKC would still be welcome!

Still not UKC - but UKUUCP has been set up to allow binary distribution,
but still to have a lot of tailorability (horrible word!).
This might be the answer to the availability problem.

Many sites in the UK are universities and thus do have source licences.

Neil

Neil@ist.co.uk		<- preferred
Neil@ist.uucp
{backbone}!ist!neil

heiby@mcdchg.UUCP (Ron Heiby) (02/24/88)

Carl S. Gutekunst (csg@pyramid.UUCP) writes:
> And any site that has
> a source license can compile it for a neighboring site that has only a binary
> license, and give them the binary.

I think that this should be checked before being acted upon.  Once upon a time,
I asked about doing just such a thing.  (It was even in the context of UUCP!)
The answer I got was that the source site must have a Binary Redistribution
Agreement (called "Customer Provisions", I believe, whatever that means) with
AT&T in order to distribute binaries derived from licensed software.  Not only
that, but said source site would be liable to AT&T for an additional binary
royalty, even if the recipient of the program already had a copy from a
different vendor and had already paid a binary royalty.

I haven't kept track of AT&T's licensing policies and am not a lawyer.
I'm just suggesting that you check before getting into trouble.
--
Ron Heiby, heiby@mcdchg.UUCP	Moderator: comp.newprod & comp.unix
"Intel architectures build character."

phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) (02/25/88)

<
<I think that this should be checked before being acted upon.  Once upon a time,
<I asked about doing just such a thing.  (It was even in the context of UUCP!)
<The answer I got was that the source site must have a Binary Redistribution
<Agreement (called "Customer Provisions", I believe, whatever that means) with
<AT&T in order to distribute binaries derived from licensed software.  Not only
<that, but said source site would be liable to AT&T for an additional binary
<royalty, even if the recipient of the program already had a copy from a
<different vendor and had already paid a binary royalty.

I have asked AT&T about this also and Ron is correct. Quite simply,
_you_ must license a machine before _you_ put any AT&T Unix code on
it, whether source or binary, it must be licensed appropriately. The
fact that someone else has already licensed the same machine for Unix
is as irrelevant as the same machine having an MSDOS license. Think of
it as a license for you to perform the act of putting the code on the
machine, not as a license for the machine.

Only the license holder is permitted to install a Unix derived program.

I do not know how well such a policy can be enforced.  But we play by
the rules at my company. Who wants to tangle with AT&T lawyers?

If it seems like a rip off, complain to AT&T.

--
I speak for myself, not the company.

Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or phil@amd.com

rob@philabs.Philips.Com (Rob Robertson) (02/25/88)

In article <4684@mcdchg.UUCP> heiby@mcdchg.UUCP (Ron Heiby) writes:
|Carl S. Gutekunst (csg@pyramid.UUCP) writes:
|> And any site that has
|> a source license can compile it for a neighboring site that has only a binary
|> license, and give them the binary.

>I think that this should be checked before being acted upon.  Once upon a time,
>I asked about doing just such a thing.  (It was even in the context of UUCP!)
>The answer I got was that the source site must have a Binary Redistribution
>Agreement (called "Customer Provisions", I believe, whatever that means) with
>AT&T in order to distribute binaries derived from licensed software.  Not only
>that, but said source site would be liable to AT&T for an additional binary
>royalty, even if the recipient of the program already had a copy from a
>different vendor and had already paid a binary royalty.

at the usenix berkeley bof, it was mentioned that UC Berkeley was
trying to license their microvaxen for 4.3 binaries.  since microvaxen
are sold with an OS (either vms or ultrix), berkeley asked at&t if
they got ultrix, could they put 4.3 on them and not have to pay
additional license fees (since both stem from 4.2, which contain the
SAME original at&t source code).  at&t said no, they would have to pay
$400 a unit to put 4.3 on them.

more and more the GNU project looks alot better to me.

rob
--
				william robertson
				rob@philabs.philips.com

lmjm@doc.ic.ac.uk (Lee McLoughlin) (02/28/88)

In article <19@dcs.UUCP> wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) writes:
>In article <157@istop.ist.CO.UK> neil@ist.CO.UK (Neil Todd) writes:
> >OK, not a UKC comment but:- UKUUCP is not written by UKC, is derives
> >for HB (I believe), much of the dirty work was done by
> >Lee McLoughlin <lmjm@doc.ic.ac.uk> currently at Imperial College
> >in London. The majority of sites in the UK use it. Zillions of bug
> >fixes, plus improved structure of L.sys file, additional protocols
> >(currently g,f and t I think), runs nicely over X25 lines.
> >
> >New release is currently on the cards, as for getting it that is
> >possibly a problem is it is NOT PD.
>
>If getting it is a problem, and it is not PD, how come the majority of sites
>in UK use it? Are the majority of sites in UK source licenced? If not, how
>do they get it?
>
>A definitive  and authoritative comment from UKC would still be welcome!

Well I'm sort of the author will I do?  I'm not too sure what this
conversation is about but ...

Its widely available in the UK because all the source licensed academic
sites use it, most of the UK unix vendors supply it with there machines
in place of the standard version. In fact Unisoft - then Root Computers - the
major 'porter of USG gave me machine time to develope it in its early days.
They helped to make it widely available on sys3, sys5 machines in the UK.
Other vendors have been persuaded to supply binaries by customers.

It was originally based on V7 uucp.  Every useful patch ever seen on the
net has been installed.  Given that it went up on a lot of novel architecture
machines a lot of other bugs were fixed.  Lots of people, 40-50 at the
last count, contributed fixes or enhancements.  Lastly I am a complete
workaholic and spent more time working on it than I care to think about!

It is not PD.  You'd need a V7 source license or better to get it.  I
used to keep all the license photocopies till my desk started getting full.

A new release is pending.  I've just spent time in hospital, hence the delay.
It may be the last. I'd like to upgrade uupc to be compatiable.  Then
no more license problems!

If anyone else is interested, mail me.

	Lee

In article <15322@pyramid.pyramid.com> csg@pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
>> ukc (University of Kent U.K.) have had a version of uucp (I believe it
>> is a p.d. version) that one can specify both packet-size and # of windows
>> in the L.sys file.
>
>The "packet and window size" in UKUUCP refers to the X.25 packet and window
>size, negotiated all call request time by the two X.25 DTEs. It is entirely
>different from the uucico 'g' protocol window and packet size. In fact, when
>to X.25 sites connect, they aren't using 'g' protocol at all; they use 'f'.
As I mentioned in a recent posting UKUUCP IS NOT PD.
The packet and window size do refer to the 'g' protocol - NOT the X25
packet and window driver.  Not all X.25 sites use 'f' some still use 'g'
depending on how they access X.25 in the first place.

There is an X25 device driver in UKUUCP to control a York-Box.  UKC doesn't
use this.  You have to get it seperately from the main distribution from
one of the two sites who use it.

>A pity they had to add another field to L.sys to do this. I rather like the
>way we do it here, with subfields in the fifth field:

I could almost agree with this.  But the login script under UKUUCP is
quite different as well.  So it doesn't really make much difference.
UKUUCP pre-dates HDB by a long time (its V7 based after all!) so I
didn't have its lead to follow.

>But alas, our UUCP won't talk to ukc. I'm going to find out why, someday....

Well I've not had many problems with any version I've come across unless
they redefine some of the initial protocol flags.  Eg EUUG-UUCP uses the
-p flag for some purpose that clashes with UKUUCP.  We just don't exchange
this flag.

>In article <157@istop.ist.CO.UK> neil@ist.CO.UK (Neil Todd) writes:
>>UKUUCP is not written by UKC, it derives for HB (I believe)....

See my other posting for details about UKUUCP.
Date: 27 Feb 88 17:11:52 GMT

If you have any queries about it please mail me.

	Lee
--
UKUUCP SUPPORT  Lee McLoughlin
	"What you once thought was only a nightmare is now a reality!"

Janet: lmjm@uk.ac.ic.doc, lmcl@uk.ac.ukc
DARPA: lmjm@doc.ic.ac.uk (or lmjm%uk.ac.ic.doc@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk)
Uucp:  lmjm@icdoc.UUCP, ukc!icdoc!lmjm

rpa@eagle.ukc.ac.uk (R.P.Almeida) (02/29/88)

This is NOT an definite or authorative UKC reply, as i'm a student here.

UUPC works fine when talking to UUUCP using 'g' protocol.
 The only thing that needed altering was the timeout after UUPC has
requested my HAYES compatible modem to dial, till it has connected.
 That was becuase we still have to use pulse dialing in most of the UK,
and obviously that takes much longer then tone dialing.

 UKUUCP also has an extra feature enabling communications over non
8 bit networks. (datawidth code)

 On sites running UKUUCP here, there can be 5 'uucp' logins :-
             uucp uucp4 uucp6 uucp7 uucpf

 If you have a 4 bit datapath, then you log in as 'uucp4' , a 7 bit path
then 'uucp7' etc.
 These logins have default shells of  uucico , uucico.4 , uucico.6
uucico.7 and uucico.f  respectively.  All five of these are infact links
to the same program (uucico).
 uucico looks at the name it was called by, and sets its datawidth
appropriatly.
  uucico.f uses a flow control protocol for working over links that are
(almost) error free. (eg direct links or X25 links) using a 7 bit wide
protocol.

 I suppose this was added to UKUUCP because most of the UK's universities
are connected together by a X25 network called JANET.

 I had started to add code to do the above 'datawidth' stuff to UUPC , working
on my Amiga, but then my Amiga broke, and now my Finals have caused the idea
to be shelved. (probably permanantly, as soon i shall no longer be a student).

 Richard Almeida.

 !mcvax!ukc!rpa
 rpa@ukc.UUCP
 rpa@ukc.ac.uk

This is virtually all from memory, so i hope its accurate.

andys@genesis.ATT.COM (a.b.sherman) (02/29/88)

In article <20522@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:
>   [description of AT&T software licensing practices]
>I do not know how well such a policy can be enforced.  But we play by
>the rules at my company. Who wants to tangle with AT&T lawyers?
>
>If it seems like a rip off, complain to AT&T.
>
>--
>I speak for myself, not the company.
>
>Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or phil@amd.com

We play by the rules at AT&T too.  We pay for AMD chips (unless
they're samples :-) ) and we don't try to copy AMD designs.  Getting
a fair return for the expense of developing software is no more a
ripoff than getting a fair return for developing chips.  If chips
were as easy to copy as programs, you'd find yourself in the same
boat we are in.
--
andy sherman / at&t bell laboratories (medical diagnostic systems)
room 2h-097 / 480 red hill road / middletown, nj 07748

alen@cogen.UUCP (Alen Shapiro) (03/01/88)

In article <15322@pyramid.pyramid.com> csg@pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
>>In article <398@cogen.UUCP>, alen@cogen.UUCP (Alen Shapiro) writes:
>> ukc (University of Kent U.K.) have had a version of uucp (I believe it
>> is a p.d. version) that one can specify both packet-size and # of windows
>> in the L.sys file.
>
>The "packet and window size" in UKUUCP refers to the X.25 packet and window
>size, negotiated all call request time by the two X.25 DTEs. It is entirely
>different from the uucico 'g' protocol window and packet size. In fact, when
>to X.25 sites connect, they aren't using 'g' protocol at all; they use 'f'.

Nope..... the packet and window size I was referring to IS the size in bytes
of each packet and the number of packets allowed to be outstanding before
an ACK is required. If I misunderstood the original poster then my apologies
(but I don't think I did).

>A pity they had to add another field to L.sys to do this. I rather like the
>way we do it here, with subfields in the fifth field:

FYI - ukuucp did more than just invent a new field - they redefined
the language - made it more powerful (and provided a utility to automatically
translate old form to new). Here is a sample L.sys entry. To further confirm
my first point the fN means DONT use protocol 'f' (packet size is 128 bytes
window is 3 for this entry - runs really fast down a 1200/2400 modem).

# The login sequence is:
#       \r              send carriage return
#       ?ogin:          look for 'ogin:', if found skip past all following
#                       strings begining with ! or ?
#       !\r             Send a return only obeyed if previous ?ogin failed
#       ?ogin:          look for 'ogin:', if found skip past all following
#                       strings begining with ! or ?
#       @#              between : and ? means set timeout to # seconds
#       noway\r         login as noway
#       ?ssword:        look for Password:
#       noway\r supply the password.
#
# The 8 in 8fN means its to use the normal 8-bit protocol and the fN says
# don't use the f-protocol (which relies on a fully working flow control).

dads Any,0 ACU 2400 8:3:128fN 1213noway \
		:\r @10 ?ogin: !\r ?ogin: !\r ?ogin: noway\r @45 ?ssword: noway\r

# do it through Gandalf if above fails to connect

dads Any,0 ACU 1200 8:3:128fN 1213noway \
		:\d\d\r @10 ?class !\r ?class :75\r ?start\
		!y\r @60 ?start ?start \
		: @2 ?ogin: !\b ?ogin: !\b ?ogin: !\b ?ogin: !\b ?ogin: \
		:noway\r @45 ?ssword: noway\r

>But alas, our UUCP won't talk to ukc. I'm going to find out why, someday....

When I was at Citicorp I got Pyramid uucp on 4.3 to talk to ukuucp with
no trouble. (-: Have Pyramid broken uucp again? :-) If you'll mail me the AUDIT
I'll be glad to try and help? (I was NOT using X.25 for this connect - just
plain old tty lines)

>....it is based on 4.2BSD UUCP. And of course the base code is proprietary to
>AT&T. However, if you can prove you have a source license, you can get it for
>free. So you might say that UKC's modifications are PD. And any site that has
>a source license can compile it for a neighboring site that has only a binary
>license, and give them the binary.
><csg>

Fraid this is correct. The new version I'm expecting from UKC will
be distributable in source version to source AT&T sites only, however
don't dispair since with the help of the net I'm sure we can find a
source site with a similar configuration that could gen a binary for
most interested sites.

To those who have already mailed me - I'll get back to you within the next
couple of days to find out how we can arrange to kit you out.

In article <3313@briar.Philips.Com> rob@philabs.Philips.Com (Rob Robertson) writes:
>In article <4684@mcdchg.UUCP> heiby@mcdchg.UUCP (Ron Heiby) writes:
>|Carl S. Gutekunst (csg@pyramid.UUCP) writes:
>|> And any site that has
>|> a source license can compile it for a neighboring site that has only a binary
>|> license, and give them the binary.

I'll try and check with AT&T - perhaps they will allow UUCP to be
distributed in the spirit of uucp - at no charge and for no profit?
(naive perhaps but worth the attempt)

--alen the Lisa slayer (it's a long story)

lmjm@doc.ic.ac.uk (Lee McLoughlin) (03/01/88)

In article <3313@briar.Philips.Com> rob@philabs.Philips.Com (Rob Robertson) writes:
>|> a source license can compile it for a neighboring site that has only a binary
>|> license, and give them the binary.
>
>>I think that this should be checked before being acted upon.  Once upon a time,
>>I asked about doing just such a thing.  (It was even in the context of UUCP!)
>>royalty, even if the recipient of the program already had a copy from a
>>different vendor and had already paid a binary royalty.

Its daft licensing like this that convinced me to start on a PD version
of uucp some time ago.  I was beaten to it by uuslave and friends
(which came out while I was still arguing with various people about a
whole bunch of legal wrangles to do with duplicating the uucp protocols
- something deeply ironic there).  I plan on trying to make something
as powerful as UKUUCP but based on uupc(?) - time permitting.  Then I
can post it!  Make life so much easier.

	Lee.
--

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (03/02/88)

>>The "packet and window size" in UKUUCP refers to the X.25 packet and window
>>size....
>
>Nope..... the packet and window size I was referring to IS the size in bytes
>of each packet and the number of packets allowed to be outstanding before
>an ACK is required.

Yeah, shame on me. (Two complete blunders in one posting! Arggghh.) I have the
UKUUCP source, and studied it before I posted; but the packet-size stuff is
implemented in a clever way that fooled me. My apologies for posting misinfor-
mation; thanks to you and Lee for the correction. Maybe I should try *running*
the code and see what it does. Radical concept.

>FYI - ukuucp did more than just invent a new field - they redefined
>the language -

Granted, but I have this thing about incompatible formats of the UUCP control
files in different versions. Enough different versions already. Of course,
some things (like USERFILE) will have to go some day....

>When I was at Citicorp I got Pyramid uucp on 4.3 to talk to ukuucp with
>no trouble. (-: Have Pyramid broken uucp again? :-)

No, I don't think I broke UUCP again. :-) It works fine with on dialup; I was
talking about direct X.25 over JANET. Some weird problem with X.3 parameters.
Since Lee McLoughlin has made the mistake of identifying himself on the USENET
:-), I'll talk to him directly about it.

>however don't dispair since with the help of the net I'm sure we can find a
>source site with a similar configuration that could gen a binary for most
>interested sites.

As I mentioned earlier, I was wrong. Source sites cannot generate binaries for
interested binary sites, without a redistribution license and relicensing of
the target system. I believe Pyramid's UK office provides binaries of UKUUCP
for their customers (hey Brian, can you confirm this?), but they do have all
the appropriate licenses.

<csg>

neil@ist.CO.UK (Neil Todd) (03/05/88)

From article <16000@pyramid.pyramid.com>, by csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst):
>>>The "packet and window size" in UKUUCP refers to the X.25 packet and window
>>>size....

.
.

>>FYI - ukuucp did more than just invent a new field - they redefined
>>the language -
>
> Granted, but I have this thing about incompatible formats of the UUCP control
> files in different versions. Enough different versions already. Of course,
> some things (like USERFILE) will have to go some day....

The UKUUCP L.sys, although different, is much nicer, giving standard
SEND- EXPECT, but also OTHERWISE during login sequence, also supports
narrow datapaths 8,7,6, (5? 4?).

.

> No, I don't think I broke UUCP again. :-) It works fine with on dialup; I was
> talking about direct X.25 over JANET. Some weird problem with X.3 parameters.
> Since Lee McLoughlin has made the mistake of identifying himself on the USENET
> :-), I'll talk to him directly about it.

You did set your X3 profile correctly didn't you ? read fio.c, Oh
alright here it is:-

/*
 * flow-control protocol.
 *
 * This protocol relies exclusively on flow control of the
 * data stream. It is meant for working over links that can
 * (almost) be guaranteed to be errorfree, like direct links
 * or X.25 links.
 * It carries out a sumcheck over a whole file only. If a
 * transport fails the receiver can request retransmission(s).
 * This protocol uses a 7-bit datapath only, so it can be
 * used on links that are not 8-bit transparent.
 * When using this protocol with an X.25 PAD:
 * Although this protocol uses no control chars except CR,
 * control chars NULL and ^P are used before this protocol
 * is started; since ^P is the default char for accessing
 * PAD X.28 command mode, be sure to disable that access
 * (PAD par 1). Also make sure both flow control pars
 * (5 and 12) are set. The CR used in this proto is meant
 * to trigger packet transmission, hence par 3 should be
 * set to 2; a good value for the Idle Timer (par 4) is 10.
 * All other pars should be set to 0.
 *
 * Author: Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam, Sep 1984
 * mcvax!piet
 *
 * LMCL.  This has been modified for UKUUCP and to cope with UK Pad's.
 * Fio can be banned by having the WIDTH entry in the L.sys
 * file contain the string "fN".
 * eg:  westcsr Any DIR 9600 8:2:64fN csr_line login string
 * Have the fN at the end so it can still read the windows/packets fields.
 * By using fP rather than fY fio will be used with the sole difference
 * that it will use cntrl-V rather then cntrl-P as the sync character in
 * imsg/omsg.  This is necessary if your PAD cannot send ^P's when flow
 * control is enabled.
 */

>>however don't dispair since with the help of the net I'm sure we can find a
>>source site with a similar configuration that could gen a binary for most
>>interested sites.
>
> As I mentioned earlier, I was wrong. Source sites cannot generate binaries for
> interested binary sites, without a redistribution license and relicensing of
> the target system. I believe Pyramid's UK office provides binaries of UKUUCP
> for their customers (hey Brian, can you confirm this?), but they do have all
> the appropriate licenses.
They have it.