[comp.unix.questions] Need to upgrade my understanding

bobc@killer.UUCP (Bob Calbridge) (03/07/88)

Having gone as far as I can go with a beginners book on Unix and C I need
to take a step up in both.  Rather than ask random questions to the net
when a problem arises I would rather have the name of some commonly
available books that take an orderly approach to understanding the innards
of both.  I'm particularly interested in pipes and their implementation, but
I need to find out all I can without taking potshots at the AT&T manuals.
Thanks in advance.
Best,
Bob

klee@daisy.UUCP (Ken Lee) (03/08/88)

In article <3613@killer.UUCP> bobc@killer.UUCP (Bob Calbridge) writes:
>Having gone as far as I can go with a beginners book on Unix and C I need
>to take a step up in both.  Rather than ask random questions to the net
>when a problem arises I would rather have the name of some commonly
>available books that take an orderly approach to understanding the innards
>of both.

This question gets asked alot, but I suppose the answer keeps changing
as new stuff gets published.  For what it's worth, these are my current
favorites.  I'm sure there are other good ones, but I don't have the
time (or money) to read them all.

UNIX environment:
	Kernighan & Pike, "UNIX Programming Environment"
	Rochkind, "Advanced UNIX Programming"

UNIX internals:
	Shaw & Shaw, "UNIX Internals" (for non-technical people)
	Bach, "The Design of the UNIX Operating System"

As far as "C internals" goes, I think you'll have to stick with the AT&T
(or other developers) manuals.  Internals vary quite a bit between products.
Johnson's "A Tour Through the Portable C Compiler" is probably the most
generic.

Ken

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (03/08/88)

In article <902@daisy.UUCP> klee@daisy.UUCP (Ken Lee) writes:
|In article <3613@killer.UUCP> bobc@killer.UUCP (Bob Calbridge) writes:
|>Having gone as far as I can go with a beginners book on Unix and C I need
|>to take a step up in both.  Rather than ask random questions to the net
|>when a problem arises I would rather have the name of some commonly
|>available books that take an orderly approach to understanding the innards
|>of both.
|
|As far as "C internals" goes, I think you'll have to stick with the AT&T
|(or other developers) manuals.  Internals vary quite a bit between products.
|Johnson's "A Tour Through the Portable C Compiler" is probably the most
|generic.

I'm finding Allen Holub's "The C Companion" interesting because of the
way he tries to present assembler code that shows how things are done in
C.  Gets into stack frames, etc. -- all the things a typical HLL
programmer never hears about.

--
Peter Holsberg                  UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division             CompuServe: 70240,334