[comp.unix.questions] Underlining with TROFF

kutz@bgsuvax.UUCP (Kenneth Kutz) (03/09/88)

What is the best way to underline in TROFF.  The documentation states that
the "ul" function is really "italics".

      Kenneth J. Kutz         	CSNET kutz@bgsu.edu
				UUCP  ...!osu-cis!bgsuvax!kutz
 Disclaimer: Opinions expressed are my own and not of my employer's

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (03/09/88)

In article <1682@bgsuvax.UUCP> kutz@bgsuvax.UUCP (Kenneth Kutz) writes:
>What is the best way to underline in TROFF.  The documentation states that
>the "ul" function is really "italics".

You are truly in luck, as I had to do this yesterday. Here's how:
	.de us
	\\$1\l'|0_'
	..

use by:
	.us "string to underscore"
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (03/10/88)

Troff `underlining' must be done by writing the word, backing up, and
writing a horizonal line underneath the word (as several people have
suggested).  The result looks moderately bad on some printers, and
always looks horrible if troff breaks the word (so that it may be
advisable to turn off hyphenation, e.g.).

Note that style manuals frown upon underlining in quality typesetting.
The effect of underlining is almost always better achieved by a change
of font.  (The obvious exception is when demonstrating the result of an
`underline' operation.)