[comp.unix.questions] RCS and local versions as side branches

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (03/12/88)

In article <6653@j.cc.purdue.edu> kcs@j.cc.purdue.edu (Kevin C. Smallwood)
writes:
>UNIX, we checked [4.3BSD] in as revision "4.3" setting the "state" to
>"dist" (for distribution).  At the same time, we also forced a check-in of
>the same file as revision 4.3.1.1 (on a side-branch). ... Now all local
>modifications and fixes occur on the side-branch of the distributed version
>of the source file.

Of course, you are no doubt using RCS release 4.0 (or 4.x), which
has an option to set the default revision branch.  For those with
RCS 3.x, it would be easy to check in local changes on the main
trunk without meaning to.  One can back these out and reinsert
them in the proper place, but inconvenience often leads to disuse.

Maybe someone (kcs? wft?) should post an annoucement for RCS 4.0.
(Or did I just do it :-) ?)