[comp.unix.questions] Unix on a VAXCluster ??

geordie@ritcsh.UUCP (Geordie 'Gweeb' Klueber) (03/01/88)

In article <2902@pitt.UUCP> jonathan@vax.cs.pittsburgh.edu.UUCP (Jonathan Eunice) writes:
>In article <985@luth.luth.se> roland@sm.luth.se (Roland Hedberg) writes:
>>is it possible to run Unix on a Vax cluster?
>
>NO.   A VaxCluster is a confederation of Vax machines sharing common
>resources.  It is implemented as an extension to VMS, plus some
>connecting hardware.  It is not portable to other operating systems.

	The Ultrix team at DEC is working on this and I'm told that
	we may see Ultrix Clustering (through the use of NFS as a start)
	by this summer.

Geordie Klueber					 Computer Science House
UUCP: ...rochester!ritcv!ritcsh!geordie	 BITNET: gfk8070@ritvax
		"Meanwhile, lurking by a stone in the mud..."

ccoprrd@pyr.gatech.EDU (Richard B Dervan) (03/08/88)

In article <1209@ritcsh.UUCP>, geordie@ritcsh.UUCP (Geordie 'Gweeb' Klueber) writes:
>In article <2902@pitt.UUCP> jonathan@vax.cs.pittsburgh.edu.UUCP (Jonathan Eunice) writes:
>>In article <985@luth.luth.se> roland@sm.luth.se (Roland Hedberg) writes:
>>>is it possible to run Unix on a Vax cluster?
>>NO.   A VaxCluster is a confederation of Vax machines sharing common
>>resources....
>The Ultrix team at DEC is working on this.....

We have a 'cluster' of 24 VaxStation 2000's running Ultrix in one of our
computer labs.  As far as Johnathan's definition of a cluster, I think
we meet the requirements.  We have the 24 workstations hooked to two file
servers (Micro-Vaxen) via NFS and a PrintServer 40.  Each station has
access to the same resources/files as any other.

-Richard
| Richard B Dervan                     BitNet: ccoprrd@gitvm1             |
| Office of Computing Services         ARPA  : ccoprrd@pyr.gatech.edu     |
| Georgia Institute of Technology      CIS   : 70365,1012                 |
| Atlanta, Ga 30332                    MCI   : RDERVAN                    |
|   uucp: ...!{akgua,allegra,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!gatech!gitpyr!ccoprrd   |
|__________________"We don't fit the mold...we build it"__________________|

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (03/12/88)

Up until recently, a VAXCluster is a set of VAX's around interconnected by
the CI bus.  The CI disk/tape controller (HSC50) which is the heart of the
VAXCluster is very hostile to non-VMS/TOPS-20 operating systems, as it has
OS specific code in the controller microcode.  I assume DEC is planning to
provide Ultrix support in the HSC.

Lately DEC is selling things called (humorously) local area VAXClusters.
This is essentially a DEC proprietary equivelent to the traditional
diskless workstation.  It requires no specific hardware other than an
DECNET compatible network interface. Note that due to unexplained phenomena,
you can't support diskless Local Area VAXCluster nodes from a real CI
VAXCluster.

-Ron

rad@mitre-bedford.arpa (Dick Dramstad) (03/15/88)

Ron,
	You write:

>Up until recently, a VAXCluster is a set of VAX's around interconnected by
>the CI bus.  The CI disk/tape controller (HSC50) which is the heart of the
>VAXCluster is very hostile to non-VMS/TOPS-20 operating systems, as it has
>OS specific code in the controller microcode.  I assume DEC is planning to
>provide Ultrix support in the HSC.

>Lately DEC is selling things called (humorously) local area VAXClusters.
>This is essentially a DEC proprietary equivelent to the traditional
>diskless workstation.  It requires no specific hardware other than an
>DECNET compatible network interface. Note that due to unexplained phenomena,
>you can't support diskless Local Area VAXCluster nodes from a real CI
>VAXCluster.

	Understanding why you can't support LAVC nodes from a real CI
VAXcluster will not only take the mystery out of this "unexplained
phenomena", it might even take the "humor" out of the situation.  And
"traditional diskless workstation"?  My, how quickly nice innovations
become traditional!  Wonder when I'm going to get a traditional
personal supercomputer on my desk?  :-)

	VMS's CI driver is just another path to disk and tape drives,
like MASSBUS or Unibus device drivers.  The DEC workstation folks
looked at VMS and said, "Hey, we'll just diddle the CI driver and make
it talk over the Ethernet instead of those expensive funny blue CI
cables and then we can have a traditional diskless workstation."  (I'm
paraphrasing, of course...)  Ethernet is slower than the CI, but for
MicroVAXs it does a reasonable job.

	Now, if you substitute the Ethernet CI driver on the boot node
(the moral equivalent of a file server), you can't get to CI-connected
devices because VMS "knows" that you only have one CI.  So, you can
have one or the other, but not both.

	DEC will tell you (although probably not officially) that
they're working on "hierarchical" VAX clusters that do what you'd like
them to, but given the amount of work it took to make regular VAX
clusters work (Version 4.n, basically), I wouldn't be surprised by a
long wait.  (Then again, I'm sure the changes to the Unix kernel to
support NFS were no less pervasive than VMS changes to support
VAXclusters.  I've heard it said that yes, you could "drop NFS" into a
regular BSD kernel, but it "makes a big splash."  Hierarchical
clusters will probably cause a flood.)

Dick Dramstad
rad@mitre-bedford.arpa

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (03/16/88)

The problem for us is that DEC sold us LAVC for our real VAXCluster,
the local engineering people weren't smart enough to figure out why
it didn't work.

-Ron