[comp.unix.questions] Timezones

wdr@cstowe.csoft.co.nz (Bill) (02/24/88)

Hi there Netlanders,

Time for a little summary of the replies I got about timezones:

Now I know all about timezones :-).

I have discovered that there is no such thing as GMT time anymore. It
has become Universal Time (UT) or Universal Coordinated Time (UCT)
depending on who sent the reply.  The appropriate references are ANSI
Standard X3.51-1975 and ISO 4031, neither of which I have not got hold
of (bit difficult out here) so I can't exactly say which of UT or UCT
is the `correct' one.

It turns out that Unix is backwards with respect to RFC822 (ANSI/ISO
etc) time. Mail headers should have +nnnn if the sending site is East
of Greenwich.  The Unix timezone offset requires the offset to
be -nnnn.

All I need to do now is to hack about with smail to get it to shove
the appropriate stuff on our mail headers, yeeHarr :->.

See Y'all Later, and Thanx for the memories.

-----
Praise the Employers for they do not know what I say but pay for the
resources.
-----
Bill D. Ryder                        ...!uunet!vuwcomp!dsiramd!pnamd!cstowe!wdr
Phone 063-65955 (IDD 64)         or  wdr@csoft.co.nz
Commercial Software N.Z. Ltd., PO Box 4030
Palmerston North,  Aotearoa (New Zealand if want to use snail mail)

rancke@diku.dk (Hans Rancke-Madsen.) (02/29/88)

In article <418@cstowe.csoft.co.nz> wdr@cstowe.csoft.co.nz (Bill) writes:

>I have discovered that there is no such thing as GMT time anymore.

Although GMT may not be "official" any more, I maintain that as
long as someone uses the expression, and other persons still
understand it, then the concept still exists.

(Denmark went metric a *loooong* time ago, but you can still
buy butter by the pound here).

   Hans Rancke, University of Copenhagen
          ..mcvax!diku!rancke

--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

- I hate it when people call me paranoid.
  It makes me feel persecuted.

keld@diku.dk (Keld J|rn Simonsen) (02/29/88)

I think the new term for GMT is UTC - Universal Time Coordinated,
not UCT. It is going to be incorporated in the new ISO C standard
instead of the GMT.

root@uokmet.UUCP (03/02/88)

>I have discovered that there is no such thing as GMT time anymore. It
>has become Universal Time (UT) or Universal Coordinated Time (UCT)
>depending on who sent the reply.  The appropriate references are ANSI
>Standard X3.51-1975 and ISO 4031, neither of which I have not got hold
>of (bit difficult out here) so I can't exactly say which of UT or UCT
>is the `correct' one.

Meteorologists still refer to GMT, though journal articles refer to it
as UTC.

	== kwthomas ==

kannan@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Kannan Varadhan) (03/02/88)

rancke@diku.dk (Hans Rancke-Madsen.) writes:
>In article <418@cstowe.csoft.co.nz> wdr@cstowe.csoft.co.nz (Bill) writes:
>
>>I have discovered that there is no such thing as GMT time anymore.
>
>Although GMT may not be "official" any more, I maintain that as
>long as someone uses the expression, and other persons still
>understand it, then the concept still exists.

Almost all short-wave radio stations (with the notable exception of the
BBC ) call it the UTC.  I would regard them as the primary users of the
term, and there word would lend it the required respectability :-!

KANNAN

--
email:	kannan@ohio-state.arpa | ....!cbosgd!tut!kannan
snail:	Kannan Varadhan 306, W. Lane Ave., # 15, Columbus, OH 43201

In article <3692@diku.dk> keld@diku.dk (Keld J|rn Simonsen) writes:
>I think the new term for GMT is UTC - Universal Time Coordinated,
>not UCT.

UTC is the symbol but Coordinated Universal Time is the English name.

devine@cookie.dec.com (Bob Devine) (03/04/88)

> >I have discovered that there is no such thing as GMT time anymore.
>
> Although GMT may not be "official" any more, I maintain that as
> long as someone uses the expression, and other persons still
> understand it, then the concept still exists.

and
> I think the new term for GMT is UTC - Universal Time Coordinated,
> not UCT. It is going to be incorporated in the new ISO C standard
> instead of the GMT.

  The world-wide authority on time is now the International Time
Bureau in Paris.  No longer does the British observatory at Greenwich
the official source (the observatory was originally set up to deal with
the problem of determining the correct longitude at sea).  So, even
though old habits die hard, "GMT" is not to be used.  An acceptable
name is also "Universal Time".

  "UTC" is, in English, "Coordinated Universal Time".  All member
nations of BIH coordinate their clocks with the official ones.  Twice
a year, someone has to take a portable clock from Fort Collins,
Colorado, to Paris for comparison with the clocks there.  BIH has
no power except to issue recommendations on time, note, this includes
leap seconds.

Bob Devine   ...!decwrl!cookie.dec.com!devine

leem@jplpro.JPL.NASA.GOV (Lee Mellinger) (03/04/88)

In article <7393@brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
:In article <3692@diku.dk> keld@diku.dk (Keld J|rn Simonsen) writes:
:>I think the new term for GMT is UTC - Universal Time Coordinated,
:>not UCT.
:
:UTC is the symbol but Coordinated Universal Time is the English name.

The BIH, in english the International Bureau of Time is headquartered in
Paris, France more than ten years ago changed the ordinary time standard
from GMT to UTC, as well as some of technical specifications as to how
it is calculated.  There are several time standards, UTC, UT1 and UT2 and others
depending on how they are measured.

Lee

|Lee F. Mellinger                         Jet Propulsion Laboratory - NASA|
|4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, CA 91109 818/393-0516  FTS 977-0516      |
|UUCP: {ames!cit-vax,psivax}!elroy!jpl-devvax!jplpro!leem                 |
|ARPA: jplpro!leem!@cit-vax.ARPA -or- leem@jplpro.JPL.NASA.GOV            |

rbj@icst-cmr.arpa (Root Boy Jim) (03/09/88)

   >I have discovered that there is no such thing as GMT time anymore.

   Although GMT may not be "official" any more, I maintain that as
   long as someone uses the expression, and other persons still
   understand it, then the concept still exists.

Really! I still refer to our sports arena as `D.C. Stadium' rather than
`RFK', the Dept of Nukes as the `AEC', the `Motor Vehicle Administration'
as the `DMV', and my bank, now `Sovran', as it was originally, `Suburban
Trust' (Suburb Ant Rust:-). Oh, yeah, I almost forgot. I call my OS `UNIX'.

   (Denmark went metric a *loooong* time ago, but you can still
   buy butter by the pound here).

And we never got around to going metric, but that's how they sell liquor.

      Hans Rancke, University of Copenhagen
	     ..mcvax!diku!rancke

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	<rbj@icst-cmr.arpa>
	National Bureau of Standards
	Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688
OKAY!!  Turn on the sound ONLY for TRYNEL CARPETING,
 FULLY-EQUIPPED R.V.'S and FLOATATION SYSTEMS!!

edw@pinot.zehntel.com (Ed Wright) (03/16/88)

In article <7516@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> kannan@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Kannan Varadhan) writes:
>rancke@diku.dk (Hans Rancke-Madsen.) writes:
>>In article <418@cstowe.csoft.co.nz> wdr@cstowe.csoft.co.nz (Bill) writes:
>>>I have discovered that there is no such thing as GMT time anymore.
>Almost all short-wave radio stations (with the notable exception of the
>BBC ) call it the UTC.  I would regard them as the primary users of the
>term, and there word would lend it the required respectability :-!

 for what its worth...
most of them if not say "Universal Coordinated Time"
UTC?  UCT ?
its 17:00 somewhere i believe i'll have another beer

Ed Wright
KA9AHQ