From xanth!tadguy Thu Feb 25 18:43:33 1988
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 88 18:40:10 EST
From: Tad Guy <tadguy@xanth.cs.odu.edu>
To: rich@eddie.MIT.EDU
Subject: Re: Servers
Newsgroups: comp.unix.questions,comp.sys.apollo

Here are five that I know of and have used.  I think that once you stop
getting replies, you should post a followup to your article with your
findings.  They should prove to be useful to many novice users...

Below I have listed the instructions that should allow you to get the
introduction/help document from each of these services...

	...tad

Tad Guy         (804)-440-4529              UUCP:  tadguy@xanth.UUCP
Department of Computer Science                or:  ...!uunet!xanth!tadguy
Old Dominion University                 new ARPA:  tadguy@cs.odu.edu
Norfolk, Virginia  23529-0162           old ARPA:  tadguy%xanth.UUCP@SUN.COM

Date: Tue, 1 Mar 88 16:13:19 +0100
From: mcvax!solaris!wyle@uunet.UU.NET (Mitchell Wyle)
To: rich@eddie.mit.edu
Subject: Servers
Cc: cernvax!wyle@uunet.UU.NET

Yes.  There are a few.

csnet has one for sources, rfc documents, etc.  Send
a one-word "help" message to:  info-server@sh.cs.net

bitnet has one with a great database and query language
made for e-mail browsing.  It archives some moderated
usenet groups and mailing lists, as well as drinks, etc.
Send the "help" messages to: database@bitnic.bitnet

Brian Ried of Dec runs one for recipes and sources.
Ask for "help" from: archive-server@decwrl.dec.com

William LeFebvre got a hold of Brian's software and
lets us non-ftp sites access archived sun-spots (news
about sun computers) source-code, and icons from:
archive-server@titan.rice.edu

There exists the netlib server which you know about,
and an arpa server for people (a net-wide telephone
book) and for rfc documents.  Ask:
service%sri-nic.arpa@relay.cs.net
for "help."

My database server isn't up yet.  It will contain
bibliographical data in unix _refer_ format, some
local source code (mostly Modula-2 being in the
house that Wirth built :-) and full-text papers.
I shall also announce a subscription service which
will let you keep track of specific concepts as they
flow by on usenet, and as they are archived in these e-mail
queryable databases.  I have software (which has been running
for a few months) which periodically automatically queries
these databases for their indexes, diffs the result with
the last query, and mails me the results.

A student is building the SDI subscription service (Selective
Dissemination of Information) as a Masters' Diss.  He just
started today, but my design is pretty complete.

Please, please keep me posted about other servers.

-Mitchell F. Wyle            wyle@ethz.uucp
Institut fuer Informatik     wyle%ifi.ethz.ch@relay.cs.net
ETH Zentrum
8092 Zuerich, Switzerland    +41 1 256-5237
You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely.

--
						-- Rich (rich@eddie.mit.edu).
	The circle is open, but unbroken.

hirai@swatsun.uucp (Eiji "A.G." Hirai) (03/18/88)

In article <8493@eddie.MIT.EDU> rich@eddie.MIT.EDU (Richard Caloggero) writes:

>      Ok, here it is.  The responses I got were not overwhelmimg, but
> they were informative. Thanks to all of you who answered my query.

	Here are some more that weren't on the list:

Postscript stuff:

	...!sun!adobe!ps-file-server

	message: "help" ; uses Brian Reid's file server program.

Biological Sciences stuff:

	...!rutgers!bioserve%umdc.umd.edu
	bioserve@umdc.bitnet
	bioserve@umdc.umd.edu

	subject line: "help" ; I tried only once - it didn't work.

Latex stuff:

	...!rutgers!latex-style%cs.rochester.edu
	latex-style@cs.rochester.edu

	subject line:	"@file request"
	message:	"@
			 yourname%yoursite.uucp@rutgers.edu
			 00readme
			 @"

	their mailer only understands internet style address.

Computational Linguistic References - Keyword Lookup

	...!rutgers!clbib%russell.stanford.edu
	clbib@russell.stanford.edu
	subject line: "help"

	if the subject line is not "help", then it looks for references
	with the subject line as the keyword.

Fortran Subroutines and other stuff:

	...!cbosgd!research!netlib
	message: "send index" ; research exists on other major ATT sites
							(I think)

	Please don't ask me if they don't work.  I don't use them that
often.  Hope this is useful to some (like most of us who don't have
ftp).

					-a.g. hirai

--
Eiji "A.G." Hirai @ Swarthmore College, Swarthmore PA 19081 |  215-543-9855
UUCP:   {rutgers, ihnp4, cbosgd}!bpa!swatsun!hirai | "All Cretans are liars."