[comp.unix.questions] running pathalias on Tandy 6000

root@mjbtn.UUCP (System Administrator) (03/04/88)

Help!  I am trying to run pathalias on the entire world map on a Tandy 6000
running Xenix 3.2 with 1 meg of RAM.  Has anybody else out there tried to
do this and succeeded?  If so, what did you do to get it to work?  Did you
have to modify software or hardware, or both?  I was told of a pathalias
program that used disk space instead of memory, but that it took several
days to run.  When I try to run it as is (I have the latest release and
max user process memory 1024K), the system ticks along until it get to
around the u.usa.nm.1 file.  It starts crawling so slow that eventually
the interrupt key won't be recognized.

If anyone has any input (aside from getting a new machine - I like my 6000!)
I would be most grateful to hear from you.

Thanks in advance!

Mark J. Bailey
root@mjbtn.uucp
In the Heart of Middle Tennessee.  "Y'all come bak now, ya hear!"

mikes@ncoast.UUCP (Mike Squires) (03/13/88)

In article <118@mjbtn.UUCP> root@mjbtn.UUCP (System Administrator) writes:
>Help!  I am trying to run pathalias on the entire world map on a Tandy 6000
>running Xenix 3.2 with 1 meg of RAM.  Has anybody else out there tried to
>do this and succeeded?  If so, what did you do to get it to work?  Did you

The MMU that Tandy has developed but not yet released would allow you to
run up to 7MB of RAM under XENIX 3.2, solving your problems.  We are
lobbying Tandy FW to release the upgrade, as they promised at last year's
TANGENT meeting.

Also, the earlier version is working on several 6000 systems that I know
of, although with truncated maps as I understand it.

Mike Squires Allegheny College Meadville, PA 16335 814 724 3360
uucp: ..!mandrill!ncoast!{mikes,peng!sir-alan!mikes} or ..!pitt!sir-alan!mikes
BITNET: mikes%sir-alan@pitt.UUCP (VAX) MIKES AT SIR-ALAN!PITT.UUCP (IBM)

paul@devon.UUCP (Paul Sutcliffe Jr.) (03/18/88)

[ Since this is primarily about Tandy 6000 issues, I've directed
  followups to comp.sys.tandy only.  -paul ]

In article <7499@ncoast.UUCP> mikes@ncoast.UUCP (Mike Squires) writes:
> In article <118@mjbtn.UUCP> root@mjbtn.UUCP (System Administrator) writes:
> >Help!  I am trying to run pathalias on the entire world map on a Tandy 6000
> >running Xenix 3.2 with 1 meg of RAM.  Has anybody else out there tried to
> >do this and succeeded?  If so, what did you do to get it to work?  Did you
>
> The MMU that Tandy has developed but not yet released would allow you to
> run up to 7MB of RAM under XENIX 3.2, solving your problems.  We are
> lobbying Tandy FW to release the upgrade, as they promised at last year's
> TANGENT meeting.

Here, here!  And the 3.2 development system, too!?!

> Also, the earlier version is working on several 6000 systems that I know
> of, although with truncated maps as I understand it.

I have the latest pathalias (ver 9.1 if I'm not mistaken) running here
at devon (an upgraded Model 12, Xenix 3.2 runtime, 3.0 development sys).
Someone (brian@tlxprs.UUCP) sent me sources to pathalias that were
supposedly hacked by the author (Peter Honeyman?) to use temporary files
instead of RAM to compile the maps.  It must be terribly slow this way,
but should accept the 'whole world'.  I haven't had time to compile
that version here, but will gladly mail a shar archive to anyone making
a request.

Incidently, I have completely automated the paths file generation here.
First, this entry in /usr/lib/news/sys:

    UUMAP:world,comp.mail.maps::/usr/local/lib/news/uumap

This sends any articles in comp.mail.maps to the pseudo-system UUMAP,
by passing the article to the /usr/local/lib/news/uumap shell script
(reproduced here) on it's stdin:

    : use /bin/sh
    #
    # uumap - unpack the usenet maps
    #
    umask 002
    cd /usr/spool/uumap
    sed -e '1,/^$/d' | sh

(BTW, this wasn't my idea -- I saw it on the net.)  Then, once a week
(via cron) I run the following shell script to rebuild the paths file
for smail:

    : use /bin/sh
    #
    #  mkpaths  -- make a new pathalias "paths" file for smail
    #
    USAGE="Usage: mkpaths [-c] [ -p pathsfile ] [ -e errlogfile ]"

    PATH=:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin; export PATH

    # where are the map files?
    mapdir="/usr/spool/uumap"
    # list of map files to use
    mapfiles="d.* u.usa.* u.can.* u.DEVON"
    # where to place paths file (if -c given)
    pathfile="/usr/lib/uucp/paths"
    # default paths file (if no -p)
    defpaths="paths"
    # default errlog file (if no -e)
    deflog="mkpaths.log"
    # file that contains any dead links
    deadfile="DEAD"

    cd ${mapdir}

    # parse command line
    set -- `getopt cp:e: $*`
    if [ $? != 0 ]; then
	    echo ${USAGE}
	    exit 2
    fi
    COPYTO=""
    PATHSFILE=${defpaths}
    ERRLOG=${deflog}
    for i in $*
    do
	    case ${i} in
	       -c)  COPYTO=${pathfile}; shift
		    ;;
	       -p)  PATHSFILE=${2}; shift; shift
		    ;;
	       -e)  ERRLOG=${2}; shift; shift
		    ;;
	       --)  shift; break
		    ;;
	    esac
    done

    # get any dead links
    list=""
    if [ -r ${deadfile} -a -s ${deadfile} ]; then
	    dead=`cat ${deadfile}`
	    for sys in ${dead}
	    do
		    list="${list} -d ${sys}"
	    done
    fi

    # run the sucker
    (pathalias -v -c ${list} ${mapfiles} | pathproc > ${PATHSFILE}) 2>${ERRLOG}

    # shall I copy?
    if [ -n "${COPYTO}" ]; then
	    cp ${PATHSFILE} ${COPYTO}
	    cp /dev/null ${PATHSFILE}
    fi

    exit 0

Note that I keep known dead links (or systems that I'd like to avoid)
in the file "DEAD".  Edit to suit.  The file u.DEVON contains local
entries that I rather not tell the world about.

Also note the "mapfiles" list.  To enable pathalias to swallow all
the domain maps (d.*) and the u.{usa,can} maps, I had to up the
"maxmem" parameter in the kernel to 800k.  Obviously, when pathalias
is running (as a 700-800k process) in a 1Mb system, things get
mighty sloooooow -- hence the invocation by cron in the wee hours
on Sunday mornings.

- paul

--
						       |  THINK ...           |