[comp.unix.questions] New K&R edition

daveb@laidbak.UUCP (Dave Burton) (03/15/88)

I just received a little blurb from Prentice-Hall Publishers
about K&R, *second* edition. According to P-H, it was published
in Jan. 1988.

Ok, I have the King James version. Is this NASB, NIV, or what?
Who has heard anything about this 2E? Seen it?

What was wrong with the first edition? :-)
--
--------------------"Well, it looked good when I wrote it"---------------------
 Verbal: Dave Burton                        Net: ...!ihnp4!laidbak!daveb

In article <1379@laidbak.UUCP> daveb@laidbak.UUCP (Dave Burton) writes:
>I just received a little blurb from Prentice-Hall Publishers
>about K&R, *second* edition. According to P-H, it was published
>in Jan. 1988.

Okay, since the cat is now out of the bag:

Yes, Kernighan & Ritchie revised the C book and sent it off to
Prentice-Hall to be published as the second edition.  I haven't
seen the final publication yet, although it might have been
printed and distributed by now (I don't know what the turnaround
time is), but I did review a draft copy so I pretty much know
what the second edition contains.

Generally:  virtually all the minor annoyances of the first
edition have been cleaned up; more examples have been added;
and the language definition has been changed to be ANSI C
(with possible small deviations due to having to work from drafts
rather than the final standard, which hasn't yet been produced).

I would say this edition is significantly better than the first,
which was of course a classic.

romain@pyrnj.uucp (Romain Kang) (03/22/88)

One of my friends, who happens to be in P-H marketing, has had access
to some of the "historical documents" related to the first edition.
The first advertisement comprised just a few lines buried inside of
a much larger display.  Also, one marketing letter (perhaps from one
of the authors) noted that there were approximately 130 UNIX sites,
and that P-H should expect to sell an average of 9 copies per site!

(At last count, over a million copies of the first edition had been
printed...)