[comp.unix.questions] UUCP Grades in HDB UUCP

flash@lehi3b15.UUCP (Stephen Corbesero) (03/16/88)

I know that HDB UUCP knows about UUCP grades, but is there any way to
limit the level of grades going out in a UUCP connection?  Someone
mentioned that it is specified in the Systems file, with a format
like:
   sysname   2300-0500/G
where the '/G' specifies the grade.  My documentation (AT&T System V,
for a AT&T 3B15) makes absolutely no mention of this feature anywhere.
Does it exist?

--
Stephen Corbesero                              flash@lehi3b15.UUCP
VLSI Design Automation Lab                     usgcorb@vax1.cc.Lehigh.EDU

rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) (03/17/88)

Unfortunately, "runnning HDB" doesn't mean anything any more.
There are at least 3 variants of HDB that I know of. Only one
of them has the support for grades in it (the latest one).

I "think" the absolute latest one that comes as part of System V.3.N
supports grades. The earlier versions don't. I think most
of the ones shipping for xenix do not support grades, nor does
the version you can get from the toolchest.

It is important to note that there are several versions around.
Just because you have a Systems file instead of an L.sys doesn't
mean you are running the most recent version of HDB. Its time to
start labling the HDB variants just like we already label the
"uucp" variants. (e.g. 4.3BSD uucp, microport HDB, etc)

(Vendors: if you plan to ship HDB, PLEASE get the latest source
directly from Honeyman. It fixes bugs that are NOT fixed on the
version ATT is selling.)

---rick

Maxim 1: Unix is what is running on Dennis Ritchies machine
Maxim 2: HDB is what is running on Peter Honeymans machine!

lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (03/18/88)

In article <352@lehi3b15.UUCP> flash@lehi3b15.UUCP (Stephen Corbesero) writes:
|>I know that HDB UUCP knows about UUCP grades, but is there any way to
|>limit the level of grades going out in a UUCP connection?  Someone
|>mentioned that it is specified in the Systems file, with a format
|>like:
|>   sysname   2300-0500/G
|>where the '/G' specifies the grade.  My documentation (AT&T System V,
|>for a AT&T 3B15) makes absolutely no mention of this feature anywhere.
|>Does it exist?

I asked this question a while back and found out that the specifying the
grade like that in the Systems file only seemed to show up on BSD systems.
AT&T System V doesn't support this feature, why I don't know...  They on
Sys V is only good for forcing jobs ahead of others.  (ie.  mail before
news, no matter when mail was queued -- even after news)

The format is D.sysGsequence for the uucp files, where sys is the system,
G is the single grade letter and the sequence.  By using different letters
will change the sorting of the directory, and hence the priority of queued
jobs.

							-Lenny
--
US MAIL  : Lenny Tropiano, ICUS Computer Group        IIIII  CCC U   U  SSS
           PO Box 1                                     I   C    U   U S

danno@3b2.UUCP (Daniel Notov) (03/21/88)

In article <352@lehi3b15.UUCP>, flash@lehi3b15.UUCP (Stephen Corbesero) writes:
> I know that HDB UUCP knows about UUCP grades, but is there any way to
> limit the level of grades going out in a UUCP connection?  Someone
> mentioned that it is specified in the Systems file, with a format
> like:
>    sysname   2300-0500/G
> where the '/G' specifies the grade.  My documentation (AT&T System V,
> for a AT&T 3B15) makes absolutely no mention of this feature anywhere.
> Does it exist?

Recently, I spent time on the AT&T Hotline on a not unrelated topic
(StarLAN & UUCP).  When my problem was solved, I asked about grades in
AT&T BNU.  After a 30 minute search of the source code, the tech replied
that he could not find any mention of limiting grades as described above.

My assumption is that AT&T does not supply graded transfers in its
distribution UNIX. (What happens in the labs is another story :-)

danno
--
	Daniel S. Notov		|	{monster,uunet}!onm3b2!danno
	Ogilvy & Mather, Inc.	|	(212) 907-4255

romain@pyrnj.uucp (Romain Kang) (03/22/88)

In article <352@lehi3b15.UUCP> flash@lehi3b15.UUCP (Stephen Corbesero) writes:
|    sysname   2300-0500/G

You may need to specify "Any2300-0500/G"; I don't believe there's a
default day-of-week. Also, note the following:

From princeton!citi!honey Fri Jan 29 09:14:47 1988

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (03/22/88)

In article <808@pyrnj.uucp> romain@pyrnj.UUCP (Romain Kang) writes:
|In article <352@lehi3b15.UUCP> flash@lehi3b15.UUCP (Stephen Corbesero) writes:
||    sysname   2300-0500/G
|
|You may need to specify "Any2300-0500/G"; I don't believe there's a
|default day-of-week. Also, note the following:
|
|From princeton!citi!honey Fri Jan 29 09:14:47 1988
|| Subject: Re:  graded transfers in honey danber
|| grade sensitive transfers shipped with svr3.  it was buggy until
|| about a year ago, when pep forced me to fix it for good.  actually,
|| it may have been more recent than that ...
|| 	peter

Romain,

Is there a way to set up UUCP with grading so that a news feed must call
me to get news, but I can still send him mail?  Thx.

--
Peter Holsberg                  UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division             CompuServe: 70240,334

romain@pyrnj.uucp (Romain Kang) (03/23/88)

In article <495@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
| Is there a way to set up UUCP with grading so that a news feed must call
| me to get news, but I can still send him mail?  Thx.

In this case, you want to queue news at a lower grade than mail.
(People seem to get mixed up about "higher" or "lower" grades.
Consider letters with higher ASCII values to be of lower grades,
just as 'F' is a lower report card grade than 'A'...)

The default uux grade in my copy of HDB is 'N', hence your outgoing
mail is probably queued at grade 'N', unless your mailer specifies
otherwise.  A simple experiment will tell what it really is, but I
will assume 'N' at the moment.  And of course, unless you have a late
version of HDB, this won't work at all.  (Mine doesn't honor grade
sensitive transfers, and it's got SCCS ids of 2.??.)

The conventional grade for news transfers is 'd' (see localize.4.3 in
your 2.11 source directory) so you would add the argument "-gd" to
uux in LIBDIR/sendbatch.  And remember to fix UUXFLAGS in localize.sh
so that the change sticks the next time you patch your news source.
With these changes, you can make the downstream site's Systems entry
something like:
	downstream Any/Z ACU 2400 ...

Your mail queued at grade 'N' will then go any time (as well as
anything else queued at grades [0-9A-Z]), while news will sit until
downstream calls.  You may also want to limit the amount of news
queued for downstream, especially if they're a PC that calls only when
the owner remembers to force a poll (arrggghhhh!!!!!)

romain@pyrnj.uucp (Romain Kang) (03/26/88)

[newsgroup, who's got the newsgroup?]

The one way to be sure whether grading works in your version is to try
graded transfers and see if they get through at the times you expect.
For example, if you have
	downstream Any/Z,Any2301-0659 ACU ...
you can try queuing a grade 'z' job during peak hours:
	$ uucp -r -gz foo downstream!~/
If it gets transmitted before late night hours, then grading doesn't
work in your rev of HDB.

[pedantic mode off]

The bug that peter (as opposed to Peter) speaks of in an earlier
message is that your uucico may still call downstream during the
day, even if the only jobs in the queue have grades lower than 'Z'.
C'est la vie...

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (03/26/88)

In article <824@pyrnj.uucp> romain@pyrnj.UUCP (Romain Kang) writes:
|[newsgroup, who's got the newsgroup?]
|
|The one way to be sure whether grading works in your version is to try
|graded transfers and see if they get through at the times you expect.
|For example, if you have
|	downstream Any/Z,Any2301-0659 ACU ...

Where would the ;<retry_time> go if grading is used?
	Any/Z;<retry_time>
or	Any;<retry_time>/Z

Thanks.

--
Peter Holsberg                  UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division             CompuServe: 70240,334
Mercer College                  GEnie: PJHOLSBERG
Trenton, NJ 08690               Voice: 1-609-586-4800

honey@umix.cc.umich.edu (Peter Honeyman) (03/27/88)

Peter J. Holsberg asks:

>Where would the ;<retry_time> go if grading is used?
>	Any/Z;<retry_time>
>or	Any;<retry_time>/Z

either one will work.

	peter