[comp.unix.questions] PROGRESS RDBMS/4GL and Accounting Pa Applications

tbetz@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Betz) (03/31/88)

     I want to thank all who responded to <3523@dasys1.UUCP> regarding
RDBMS Accounting.  Suggestions have been most informative and helpful
to me this week.

     After looking around a bit, the PROGRESS RDBMS/4GL package has
caught my interest very strongly.  I have yet to speak to a developer
who has used it who has a bad word to say about it...  and there are a
lot of accounting packages out there with the capabilities I need
already written for it.

     It will run on almost any hardware or O/S and share files
transparently across a network of dissimilar machines, and there are
very good spreadsheet and graphics programs out there that interface
quite neatly with it.

     In other words, it seems too damn good to be true.  What do you
all here know about it, and the applications that run on it?

     Waiting for my trial disk...

     Tom Betz, ZCNY

--
Tom Betz                        {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Big Electric Cat Public Unix           {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!tbetz

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (04/04/88)

In article <3640@dasys1.UUCP>, tbetz@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Betz) writes:
>      After looking around a bit, the PROGRESS RDBMS/4GL package has
> caught my interest very strongly.  I have yet to speak to a developer
> who has used it who has a bad word to say about it...  and there are a
> lot of accounting packages out there with the capabilities I need
> already written for it.

We have been using Progress for about 2 years.  We are primarily a mail order
business (we sell UNIX pocket references and related stuff) and maintain a
database of customers and non-customers.  We have bookstore accounts which
need followups and also sell software that needs followup calls.

We use progress to handle that database.  All the applications were written
from scratch, many by me.  I am really pleased with both the ease of getting
the job done and the speed of the system.  I started writing stuff when we had
the test drive (then $50).

As consultants, we have recommended Progress to others.  Everyone I know who
has used it is very satisfied.  Also, their support is amazing.  When you call
with a problem, if they are busy they say they will call you back.  And, they
do.  Maybe 30 minutes later.  They also publish a bug list.
--
Phil    uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl

tbetz@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Betz) (04/06/88)

     Still shopping around for a new *nix RDBMS-based accounting
and development system, I have come across some possible
competition to Progress, and would like further opinions from the
vast mind of Newsnet.

     Resolve Logic Systems of Toronto sells a package called the
Resolve Integrated Productivity Set, which includes an RDBMS with
4GL, applications developer, communications package, SQL
interface, word processing and spreadsheet, as well as a full line
of accounting packages.  I didn't think I'd find another product
with more features than Progress, but it seems to be just that,
and at a competitive price.

     Is there anyone out there using this system or any part of it
who can tell me something of their experiences with it?

     Also, the OPUS Series 100 Personal Mainframe running Sys V
3.0 has been recommended to me as a better alternative to an 80386
running Xenix.

     It seems to be price competitive as well, and I'm told that
it would have comparable performance.  Any recommendations or
caveats?

     A thousand thanks.