[comp.unix.questions] remote finger

edw@IUS1.CS.CMU.EDU (Eddie Wyatt) (04/15/88)

	Does anyone know if I can have the finger daemon notify me (via mail)
when someone is 'finger'ing me.  I just ran a finger on someone at
a remote site and I was notified by finger that that person was being notify.
What a neat idea.

   I was hoping that this site didn't hack these changes in.  If the hooks
are already in the 'finger'ing system for this feature, what do I do to
turn them on?

--

Eddie Wyatt 				e-mail: edw@ius1.cs.cmu.edu

mike@turing.UNM.EDU (Michael I. Bushnell) (04/19/88)

In article <1429@pt.cs.cmu.edu> edw@IUS1.CS.CMU.EDU (Eddie Wyatt) writes:
>   I was hoping that this site didn't hack these changes in.  If the hooks
>are already in the 'finger'ing system for this feature, what do I do to
>turn them on?

This is not a standard feature.  You would have to change fingerd.  Further,
there is no way for the user on the remote machine to get logged, just
the machine the finger request came from.

                N u m q u a m   G l o r i a   D e o

			Michael I. Bushnell
			HASA - "A" division
14308 Skyline Rd NE				Computer Science Dept.
Albuquerque, NM  87123		OR		Farris Engineering Ctr.
	OR					University of New Mexico
mike@turing.unm.edu				Albuquerque, NM  87131
{ucbvax,gatech}!unmvax!turing.unm.edu!mike

limes@sun.uucp (Greg Limes) (04/20/88)

In article <1429@pt.cs.cmu.edu> edw@IUS1.CS.CMU.EDU (Eddie Wyatt) writes:
>   I was hoping that this site didn't hack these changes in.  If the hooks
>are already in the 'finger'ing system for this feature, what do I do to
>turn them on?

Eddie, are you sure that the remote user was notified? The message you
saw could have simply been in the user's ".plan" file! :-)

-- Greg Limes [limes@sun.com]			frames to /dev/fb

edw@IUS1.CS.CMU.EDU (Eddie Wyatt) (04/20/88)

 > >   I was hoping that this site didn't hack these changes in.  If the hooks
 > >are already in the 'finger'ing system for this feature, what do I do to
 > >turn them on?
 >
 > Eddie, are you sure that the remote user was notified? The message you
 > saw could have simply been in the user's ".plan" file! :-)

  As some others have pointed out to me directly, the behavour I observed
is probably an artifact of a humorous .plan.  Though it is not impossible
for finger to notify a users he is being fingered, hooks are not in
the protocol for determining who is doing the finger.

--

Eddie Wyatt 				e-mail: edw@ius1.cs.cmu.edu