[comp.unix.questions] pushing back the bounds of ignorance

jfjr@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Jerome Freedman) (03/31/88)

  Thanks to all who responded to my question(s) about the
order .cshrc and .login are evaluated. Thanks also
to those who explained the meaning of RTFM to me.
Each day I learn something new. Gosh life is great.

  We are doing some plotting on Suns (screendump|rasfilter8to1|lpr -v)
This works sometimes. Sometimes (when others are logged in)
this gets confused and we get various error messages
having to do with problems with valloc, /dev/fb etc.

  Is this normal? must we live with this or is there a fix?

ps what is a "magic cookie"
ps David Curry (davy@intrepid.ecn.purdue.edu) I can't
get to you from here

Jerry Freedman, Jr      "Love is staying up all night
jfjr@mitre-bedford.arpa   with a sick child,
(617)271-4563            or a healthy adult"

zjat02@apctrc.UUCP (Jon A. Tankersley) (04/10/88)

In article <28177@linus.UUCP> jfjr@mbunix (Freedman) writes:

>  We are doing some plotting on Suns (screendump|rasfilter8to1|lpr -v)
>This works sometimes. Sometimes (when others are logged in)
>this gets confused and we get various error messages
>having to do with problems with valloc, /dev/fb etc.
>
>  Is this normal? must we live with this or is there a fix?

Join the crowd.  When you have 3/50's, 3/110's, BW&C 3/60's, BW&C 3/160's,
and BW&C 3/260's and you try to write a generic screendumptool in shell,
it doesn't work.  I asked Sun about some of this.  There are some problems
with the different architectures of the frame buffer.  There is also a
problem with lpr -v.

1) 3/110 suntools w/o specifying -8bit_color_only.
   screendump|rasfilter8to1|lpr -v fails every time.  An lpr -v problem with the
   prism frame buffer of the 3/110.  I guess it should go through
   rasfilter10to1 instead :-).
   screendump|rasfilter8to1|screenload works too.
2) ANYTHING ON THE SCREEN MOVING will screw up screendump.  A clock with a
   second hand!  A clock that ticks the minute hand during the dump!  Perfmeters
   can do it too.  Screendump doesn't freeze the screen while reading.  The
   best example of this problem is lots of copies of the screen image splattered
   across the top part of the page, usually about 2 lines with 8 images each.
3) 3.2OS, running from the cmdtool window will act like number 2.

I asked Sun about the best way to do this, especially since we have a dual
headed monster, plus lots of 2-desktop systems around.  They recommended a
program that opened /dev/fb and determined the buffer type would work.  Then
a screendump -d /dev/framebuffer would work.  I haven't had time to work on
this yet....

Sigh...

Hope this helps.
-tank-

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (04/21/88)

In article <28177@linus.UUCP> jfjr@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Jerome Freedman) writes:
>  We are doing some plotting on Suns (screendump|rasfilter8to1|lpr -v)
>This works sometimes. Sometimes (when others are logged in)
>this gets confused and we get various error messages
>having to do with problems with valloc, /dev/fb etc.

I saw several replies, but none correct.  You are running out of swap
space.

>  Is this normal? must we live with this or is there a fix?

In a way, it is normal; but it is no fun.  You can add more swap space
or wait for SunOS 4.0.

>ps what is a "magic cookie"

(begin :-) )

The derivation should be obvious: `magic', or `opposite of
scientific': based on nothing sensible.  `cookie': something that
looks tasty, but has no nutritional value, and eating too many of which
will make you feel ill.  Hence `magic cookie': a dumb, valueless thing
which will make you sick, but which looks good on paper or in the
marketing department.  :-)

karish@denali.UUCP (karish) (04/22/88)

In article <11142@mimsy.UUCP> chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>In article <28177@linus.UUCP> jfjr@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Jerome Freedman) writes:
>>ps what is a "magic cookie"
>
>(begin :-) )
>
>The derivation should be obvious: `magic', or `opposite of
>scientific': based on nothing sensible.  `cookie': something that
>looks tasty, but has no nutritional value, and eating too many of which
>will make you feel ill.  Hence `magic cookie': a dumb, valueless thing
>which will make you sick, but which looks good on paper or in the
>marketing department.  :-)

The first place I encountered the term `magic cookie' was in the
`Odd Bodkins' comic strip, drawn by Dan O'Neill.  Magic cookies were
the form in which the characters in the strip ingested psychotropic
substances.  They caused the main characters (a bird and a cross
between a shmoo and a human) to do things like confront their personal
values as absolutes, or to journey to Mars and encounter a demoniacal
incarnation of Abraham Lincoln.

I don't know how or when the term was introduced into computer lingo.

Chuck